Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613226 times)

cygnusx-1 and 18 Guests are viewing this topic.

Waffagolf

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #1110 on: May 31, 2011, 12:30:31 am »
The Rhyl Promenade Monorail was opened by Terry Wogan.

Waffagolf

« Reply #1111 on: May 31, 2011, 12:39:27 am »
On the point of wet weather tourist attractions. Let's not forget that the company behind the Rhyl Sea Life Centre wanted to come to Llandudno as their first choice. But the council being the council, turned them down, so they went to Rhyl, and Llandudno lost out.  :(

Madness when you think the SLC is open almost everyday of the year.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1112 on: May 31, 2011, 01:47:49 am »
On the point of wet weather tourist attractions. Let's not forget that the company behind the Rhyl Sea Life Centre wanted to come to Llandudno as their first choice. But the council being the council, turned them down, so they went to Rhyl, and Llandudno lost out.  :(

Madness when you think the SLC is open almost everyday of the year.

Completely stupid as Rhyl is closer to the bigger and better Blue Planet in Ellesmere Port.
Llandudno would have got the trade from the west as well as the other tourists and done even better than Rhyl - In my humble opinion
Just think of the jobs it could have created for one!

Reminds me, I saw some guy doing an indepedant history walkabout thing a few weeks ago, about 6pm on a Tuesday. He must have had about 40 old people following him around, surely there is a market for a decent historical museum, that is centrally located and well funded? They could do one for the whole of North Wales not just Llandudno, would be plenty of content.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1113 on: May 31, 2011, 08:08:14 am »
model railway

There could be some mileage in that idea.  I've always thought a monorail running along the prom, around the Little Orme (just above the waves) and into Colwyn Bay could be a nice idea.

They did try something similar in Rhyl many years ago but it never caught on and was pulled down after a while.
It was a commercial disaster, as I recall:

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #1114 on: May 31, 2011, 11:37:01 am »

Does anybody know where the church records are kept for a marriage during the 1830's ?

I once tried the Rev Keith Jones about 15 years ago without much success.
[/quote]

I think that Christchurch might have become part of Gloddaeth United, so it might be worth contacting them: 

http://www.findachurch.co.uk/churches/sh/sh78/guc/

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1115 on: May 31, 2011, 06:29:02 pm »
I saw our AM Janet Finch-Saunders in Madoc street with James Jackson, the estate agent, this afternoon. Looking for a Constituency office, perhaps?

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1116 on: May 31, 2011, 07:01:34 pm »
The cycling on the prom issue has made it onto the BBC website.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-13605040

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1117 on: May 31, 2011, 08:49:54 pm »
The Rhyl monorail was a complete disaster from the word go. Just one incedent of probably hundreds. Within the first week of operation one of the cars, loaded with passengers, came off the rail at one end, and was suspended leaning over at about 30 degrees unable to move repeat FULL OF PASSENGERS. That got the Company plenty of press publicity, photos. The reason it came off was because the bend was too tight, as simple as that. So for the rest of its limited life it just went along the straight bit and then reversed back along the same section.

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1118 on: May 31, 2011, 09:00:24 pm »
 :D Talking of cycling on the prom,who should cycle past us last night large as life ,CLL Janet Howarth,ok its not a finable offence but a TORY cycling on the promenade,woo. WWW

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #1119 on: May 31, 2011, 10:30:49 pm »
Forgot to mention earlier, but I heard last week that the Arriva Open Top Bus Tour around Llandudno & Conwy will not be running this year.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #1120 on: June 01, 2011, 12:02:38 am »

Does anybody know where the church records are kept for a marriage during the 1830's ?

I once tried the Rev Keith Jones about 15 years ago without much success.

I think that Christchurch might have become part of Gloddaeth United, so it might be worth contacting them: 

http://www.findachurch.co.uk/churches/sh/sh78/guc/
[/quote]

Oops - messed up the quote here!  This was supposed to be an answer to Bri Robert's question on 29 May (reply # 1097).  Hope you find this answer, Bri! 

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #1121 on: June 01, 2011, 02:14:43 am »
Thanks, Blodyn.

Somebody suggested that to me a few years ago on the previous forum and I did contact the vicar at Gloddaeth United at the time.

However, the vicar did confirm he now had the records but not those gong back to pre-civil registration in 1837.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #1122 on: June 01, 2011, 02:16:34 am »
:D Talking of cycling on the prom,who should cycle past us last night large as life ,CLL Janet Howarth,ok its not a finable offence but a TORY cycling on the promenade,woo. WWW

L0L

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1123 on: June 05, 2011, 05:48:37 pm »
 :P Oscar has really ripped into CCBC over their neglect of Llandudno,good reading. :laugh:

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #1124 on: June 05, 2011, 07:11:41 pm »
 :) I have just been up Cwm mountain to see how the tres are taking shape,from the bottom you would think their were no trees there,but once you get on the paths you can see them popping up all over the place above the ferns.Lets hope that no fire bugs go up there this year.  ???-*