Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2616806 times)

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #660 on: February 13, 2011, 06:09:04 pm »
Paddy I think it's probably the latter. I'm not making any statements of any kind re the merits of male or female drivers here but he was a she, and she persuaded the policeman/recovery vehicle driver to drive the RV up to the top of Llwynon Road for her.

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #661 on: February 13, 2011, 06:37:29 pm »
I'm not making any statements of any kind re the merits of male or female drivers

Then why do I get the distinct impression you were then Matey  $smack$   :roll:

Pool tonight against the 147, c'mon you Matelots.........us Matelots I mean  ;D
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #662 on: February 13, 2011, 06:47:32 pm »
 ;D Going back to the Mayor;s old hotel the Tudno Castle,if the owners wanted to really do something they would be applying to build a larger store incorperating a Travel lodge and then get the attention of Primark or TK Makk instead of just leaving until part of it falls on to some pedestrians walking past.NO real push to do anything in this town . :'(

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #663 on: February 13, 2011, 08:50:56 pm »
;D Going back to the Mayor;s old hotel the Tudno Castle,

I'm a little confused here. Are you talking about Cllr Ann Yates having the Tudno Castle? I thought she had a hotel in Hill Terrace previously, and prior to David Owen having the Tudno Castle was it not in the ownership of the Devoys for some years?

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #664 on: February 14, 2011, 09:31:12 am »
Cheers, mate. I thought this one featuring the Mayor could be used for one of Oscar's caption competitions....

Does it really make that 'orrible noise?

Nice to see you again Dave.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
« Reply #665 on: February 14, 2011, 12:07:03 pm »
I was upset yesterday on my weekly walk to the west shore to see that yet another house has been knocked down ready for a nasty, badly designed block of flats to be built.  What ever happened to vernacular architecture?  This town is riddled with god awful new buildings.  Any one know anyone in the planning department?  On the one hand you've got self-appointed Mr Llandudno, Lawson Rea wanting to protect all things Victorian (ugh) and these horrible things.  I think the Tudno Castle should bbe knocked down a nd a cinema built. :(

Offline Pendragon

• Ad Free Member.
« Reply #666 on: February 14, 2011, 05:38:24 pm »
Cheers, mate. I thought this one featuring the Mayor could be used for one of Oscar's caption competitions....

Aah Toto I've clicked my heels three times, why am I still here?
Only hindsight has 20/20 vision
Angiegram - A romantic notion derived from the more mundane truth.

Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #667 on: February 15, 2011, 06:34:14 pm »
It's a shame to see that around 20 of the Palm trees on the Prom have succumbed to the recent bad weather and died. I doubt they will be replaced...no money etc etc.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #668 on: February 15, 2011, 10:47:57 pm »
They have gone to that great Sea of Mediocrity Dave, closely to be followed by the rest of Llandudno.  aaa.gif
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #669 on: February 16, 2011, 02:14:33 pm »
;D Going back to the Mayor;s old hotel the Tudno Castle,

I'm a little confused here. Are you talking about Cllr Ann Yates having the Tudno Castle? I thought she had a hotel in Hill Terrace previously, and prior to David Owen having the Tudno Castle was it not in the ownership of the Devoys for some years?
It says in the Pioneer she owned the Tudno Castle from 1997 - 2001.

Funnily, her quote on the subject is 'it's about time the authorities did something about it'. An inadvertent admission that the Town Council she is Mayor of is completely powerless and no more than a talking shop!

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #670 on: February 16, 2011, 07:21:58 pm »
So the Pioneer 'boobed' did they?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #671 on: February 16, 2011, 09:55:15 pm »
Myself, accompanied by Mr & Mrs Fester, attempted to represent the Forum at the Kings Head quiz tonight but failed due to the fact the place was packed out. However, I did have the pleasure of saying hello to Blongb!  :)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #672 on: February 17, 2011, 12:21:55 am »
In hindsight, it was probably for the best..... last week after 5 hours boozing we were very stupid indeed,

This week, we had only 4 hours of boozing prior to entering the King's Head, so we would most likely have been moderately stupid.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #673 on: February 17, 2011, 08:59:57 am »
Wow !-- wonder if you would win if you'd only had 1/2 hour ? _))* _))* _))*
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #674 on: February 17, 2011, 09:55:04 am »
Llandudno brass band to record album at Abbey Road studio
by David Powell, DPW West
Feb 17 2011

A BRASS band will record in The Beatles’ famous Abbey Road studios... with a little help from their friends.

Llandudno Town Band will work in the London studio where the Fab Four’s legendary albums such as Revolver and Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band were recorded.

It is thanks to Llandudno-based record producer Gordon Lorenz who will help the 100-year-old band make their own album in May.

They may even recreate the famous Abbey Road photograph if the 30 band members can fit on the zebra crossing.

Mr Lorenz, who has worked there before and chose to use that venue for this project, said: “We will be making an album with Llandudno Town Band accompanying three or four local North Wales artists.

“They are going to be doing a whole range of songs from pop to Italian arias. They will be augmented with keyboards, bass and drums.

“I am hoping to get Graham Goulding from 10cc to play drums.”

Mr Lorenz added: “It was (musical director) Clive Wolfendale’s idea to make an album incorporating vocals of local singers (yet to be named) with a brass band.

“The idea was previously successful in 1973 with Peter Skellern. I have managed to get us into Abbey Road studios where I have worked many times before.

“We will be in the main No. 2 studio at Abbey Road where the Beatles recorded many of their songs.

“We will be walking into a piece of history. The studio has some original features from 1964. Its digital control room has been completely revamped but you know the screens (partitions) were the screens around John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr. And you are aware of the feet that have trodden that floor.”

Last year, Mr Lorenz worked at Abbey Road studios with actress and Gurkas’ rights campaigner Joanna Lumley.

He said: “We recorded a spoken word album of soldiers’ poems.”

The idea for the untitled new album came from Llandudno Town Band musical director Clive Wolfendale.

Mr Wolfendale said: “We will be trying to reflect the music of the last 50 years with pop music and some ballads.

“I grew up with the Beatles – they were fantastic. Their tunefulness and arrangements still sound amazing today. One song we will be covering is With A Little Help From My Friends.”

He added: “We will be using local talent which we have put together. It will just be incredible to record there. It’s such a historic venue. The band are very excited about the prospect of doing it and making sure that the good name of the band is brought even further afield.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2011/02/17/llandudno-brass-band-to-record-album-at-abbey-road-studio-55578-28185172/