Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612414 times)

Cordyline and 21 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #600 on: February 04, 2011, 12:51:35 am »
Well it needs totally replacing, as the wood is rotten though and through.
It was breaking apart in my hand.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Jack

« Reply #601 on: February 04, 2011, 11:43:49 am »
Its WILD in the old town tonight...

1st Picture shows the tall hexagonal wooden advertisement hoarding on the Prom ripped from its base, and rolling around.
You can clearly see the base it has become detached from...

It's quite normal for that sign to be blown over Fester. In any sort of a blow you'll find it rolling around the prom. Its happened at least 3 times before just in the time I've lived on North Parade. I hope the Council has the budget to get it repaired, otherwise we'll never know what’s on at Venue Cymru

Not sure that the council is responsible for that morris column.  The only advertisers on it are those that have attractions on the Great Orme (ie Copper Mine, Tramway and Summit Complex).  No other attractions are allowed to put posters on this one.  It is probably their responsibility to fix it and not the councils.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #602 on: February 04, 2011, 12:15:27 pm »
I think you might be right, Jack. The other ones around town have received some maintenance lately.

I notice that the potakabin toilets down at the coach park have finally been removed. Will anything replace them?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #603 on: February 04, 2011, 01:06:28 pm »
I'm hearing that parts of the Prom are closed at the moment due to dangerous scaffolding. The scaffolding around Wetherspoons was taking a real pounding last night, as well, don't think I would stand too close to it today!

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #604 on: February 04, 2011, 01:39:44 pm »
For once I agree with the weather-man. This is an A minus storm
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #605 on: February 04, 2011, 05:07:09 pm »
Prom closed outside the Merrion hotel:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #606 on: February 04, 2011, 05:08:46 pm »
The remains of the Morris Column get carted off:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #607 on: February 04, 2011, 05:11:38 pm »
It was very peaceful round by the Pier, the wind disappeared completely and the sea was pretty flat:

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #608 on: February 05, 2011, 01:11:26 pm »
Last night at about 10.30pm two fall pipes on the Arvon Avenue side of the Clarence were detatched at the top and were swaying and banging against the broken vent from the kitchens. Hope no-one was walking under there when they finally flew down. :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #609 on: February 05, 2011, 01:49:18 pm »
Another level three flash warning for today and tonight from the met office. Beginning to wonder if I prefer snow :-))
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #610 on: February 05, 2011, 04:43:05 pm »
Plenty of water up the Conwy Valley around Llanrwst and Treffriw. Surprisingly Nant Conwy were playing a home game - could be on an island by the time they finish!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #611 on: February 05, 2011, 04:56:33 pm »
Last night at about 10.30pm two fall pipes on the Arvon Avenue side of the Clarence were detatched at the top and were swaying and banging against the broken vent from the kitchens. Hope no-one was walking under there when they finally flew down. :o
I thought I heard them clanking in the wind when I went past the other day.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #612 on: February 05, 2011, 06:05:19 pm »
Have you heard the cross which is hanging down the side of Christ Church on a windy night? Now that is seriously wierd :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #613 on: February 06, 2011, 08:32:15 am »
We may not have suffered the extreme gusts of places like Scotland, but we're definitely getting knocked about, and yesterday Snowdonia had a whopping 108mm of water dumped on it. Because we're not London, of course, it didn't even feature as an 'and finally' item on the national news.

High tide at 1230 today is also the highest of the month, so those wanting some decent pics of the Conwy valley flooding should try to make their way to Llanrwst for about 1100.  I'm guessing that the valley itself will be flooded but whether it will have overcome the recent flood drainage work to seep up into the town itself is unclear. 
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #614 on: February 06, 2011, 09:22:50 am »
I'd come up and have a look but could well end up spending more time in Llanrwst than anticipated if both roads down the valley get closed....