Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2643647 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #8505 on: August 12, 2021, 04:37:49 pm »
There was an article in this week's NWWN by John Lawson Reay and it was about the recent events of two youths being rescued on the Little Orme.    It had made him think about the 14 year old Hubert Stone who tragically lost his life there in 1897.
In memory of his son and as a warning to others Hubert's father Frederick Stone had a memorial constructed at the spot where Hubert died.
Two local fishermen in a boat, one being a plasterer Pierce Jones found the body three days later
The full account of the incident can be found in John Lawson Reay's book "Secret Llandudno"
I've been there a few times and it can be difficult to get to but I hope that anyone visiting the memorial treats it with the respect it deserves.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8506 on: August 12, 2021, 07:54:27 pm »
The problem is they haven't got the staff on the pier to bring the boat alongside & insurance, we used to have 4/5 on the crew to bring the Iom boats in, years ago their used to be landing steps near the end of the pier at the side don't think they are there anymore.

Offline SAJ

« Reply #8507 on: August 12, 2021, 08:07:41 pm »
It’s not that difficult going ashore in dinghy. I’m a grandma to - how many is it now? Anyway, a couple of years ago, in the far, frozen north of the Arctic, there were people even older than me going ashore from our converted herring lugger expedition ship and no one fell in!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #8508 on: August 13, 2021, 04:54:21 pm »
I remember the pier landing stage being repaired and updated with funds from the Windfarm.

It hasn’t been used that often since, if at all.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #8509 on: August 13, 2021, 05:56:01 pm »
The repaired dolphin has been used - most recently by the MV Balmoral which visited for a week or so each summer until 2017. The PS Waverley intended to call in 2018 but I think there was a problem with the boiler and the visit was cancelled at short notice.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #8510 on: August 14, 2021, 01:17:41 am »
It looks as if the expensive repairs were carried to the landing stage about around eight years ago.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwihxJztm6_yAhWID8AKHbTNAXIQFnoECBkQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailypost.co.uk%2Fnews%2Flocal-news%2Fdelay-repair-llandudno-pier-landing-5393560&usg=AOvVaw2TZQi7P3xkaGt0pfaY4rJh

Sadly, the cruise ship trade has yet to materialise and even when we had a small cruise ship in the other day, it was ignored.

“And in the long term it’s hoped that large cruise liners will anchor in the bay and ferry passengers to the landing stage in their lifeboats.”

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8511 on: August 14, 2021, 07:46:19 am »
They haven't the staff to bring the boats alongside, we had a deck crew of 8/9'in our day at least 4 per shift to bring them in, plus the insurance will be expensive, their used to be steps on the side near the end that tenders would use but I don't think they are there anymore.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #8512 on: August 14, 2021, 05:05:52 pm »
From my experience of cruising, norman08, it is usual for crew of a cruise ship to make their way to the landing stage initially to set it all up before the passengers eventually leave the cruise ship and to sail over in the ships’ tenders.

Please feel free to check my facts with Pat and Bill.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8513 on: August 14, 2021, 08:57:22 pm »
Yes Brian you are right, if the steps were still on the side they could have docked there, when the Balmoral & Waverley come I think they send their guys, few years ago I stood there watching the boat approaching and new they wouldn't make it, people next to me said how do You know, they tried 3 times and give up 😢

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #8514 on: August 15, 2021, 02:28:33 pm »
Last two seasons the Balmoral was here, Dan and a crew from the RNLI dealt with docking.  Depending on the tide, access was available from the lower platform via steps as an alternative to the top stage.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #8515 on: August 16, 2021, 05:05:01 am »
That I can understand, Cambrian, because Balmoral is unlikely to have as many available crew as a cruise ship like Hebridean Sky had.

It concerns me that so much money was spent on the refurbishment of the landing stage to help attract cruise ships to Llandudno but when we finally get one, after waiting many years, its passengers have to use the old lifeboat slipway to come ashore.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #8516 on: August 21, 2021, 10:36:29 am »
Ref  Gogarth Councillors August news letter,from Cllrs. Harry Saville and Louise Emery

MOTORHOME PARKING - GLODDAETH AVENUE
You may have noticed a new, single yellow line has been painted along Gloddaeth Avenue.  The single yellow line draws motorists' attention to a partial parking restriction that prohibits motorhomes from parking along this stretch of road between 11pm and 8am.  It does not apply to any other kind of vehicle, and it does not apply to motorhomes parking between 8am and 11pm.  It is similar to the restrictions already in place on parts of Great Ormes Road, Abbey Road, West Parade, Lloyd Street West, Dale Road, Trinity Crescent and the North Shore.

The new restriction was introduced following complaints from local residents about motorhomes parking alongside Maelgwyn Road Car Park for days (occasionally weeks) at a time and dumping their toilet waste on to the road.  Conwy County Borough Council consulted on the new restriction in October last year and no objections were received.  Small signs that show the restriction applies only to motorhomes between 11pm and 8am are due to be fitted to lamp posts along the road.

The Council are looking at the feasibility of providing a motorhome stop-over site with waste disposal facilities which will compliment the small number of privately run stop-over sites nearby.

SHELTERS - GLODDAETH AVENUE AND NORTH SHORE PROMENADE
The Victorian shelter in the central reservation of Gloddaeth Avenue has become an eyesore over recent years.  Before the pandemic Cartrefi Conwy and Brenig Construction offered to refurbish the structure whilst developing the former Bryant and Hocknell site, at the junction between Deganwy Avenue and Gloddaeth Street.

Eagle-eyed residents will have noticed that the roof has been replaced.  Brenig Construction are currently awaiting delivery of replacement tongue and groove boarding. Once this has been fitted all that should be left is to repair the ironwork and decorate the shelter.  Hopefully this refurbishment will leave the structure in good condition for many years to come.

Meanwhile, Conwy County Borough Council have secured funding from Visit Wales to replace two of the 1960s era shelters on the North Shore Promenade.  We believe a Victorian design is being considered, similar to the shelter on Gloddaeth Avenue which was originally sited on the prom.  The replacement is unlikely to happen immediately, but hopefully the new shelters will be an improvement on the current ones.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8517 on: August 22, 2021, 10:52:45 am »
Reports of man 'slashed in throat' during Llandudno nightclub incident
Police were called to the scene during the early hours of today - however official details are yet to be released

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/reports-man-slashed-throat-during-21369398

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8518 on: August 22, 2021, 11:58:08 am »
Ccbc secure funding for some shelters on the prom 🤔,  they had funding 6 years ago for new shelters , so wonder where that went,  more to the point why haven't Mostyn est paid anything after all the say they own the prom.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8519 on: August 22, 2021, 12:49:39 pm »
Ccbc secure funding for some shelters on the prom 🤔,  they had funding 6 years ago for new shelters , so wonder where that went,  more to the point why haven't Mostyn est paid anything after all the say they own the prom.

This article was published in 2013 about the promenade shelters but no money have been forthcoming from Mostyn Estates and I seem to remember Edward Hiller promising to pay for Victorian Street lamp posts on the prom but again nothing
What do you expect when Mostyn Estates refused to pay anything for replacement paving stones in front of their own properties

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-news/going-back-victorian-times-plans-5318345