Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2611802 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #8475 on: July 03, 2021, 04:25:06 pm »
Most apartments are leasehold Steve but I wonder who will own the freehold.       Will it be McCarthy and Stone or Mostyn Estates?

Application for building 49 properties on Bodafon Fields is the next thing of importance that is coming up.      If it is passed and I hope that it isn't who will be the freeholder?
Mostyn Estates currently own the freehold but Anwyl Construction will be the developer.   Will the houses be sold freehold or not is the question?
Surely in this day and age the feudal system operated by Mostyn Estates should be stopped as it has no place in the modern world.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #8476 on: July 06, 2021, 03:38:02 pm »
Update on above.....

A DEVELOPER and manager of retirement communities is hoping to build homes on a car park in Llandudno.

McCarthyStone has acquired an interest in land at Maelgwyn Road car park and are in the early stages of working up proposals for the site's redevelopment.

Initial proposals include retirement living accommodation for private sale as well as rent and part rent-part buy.
A community consultation ends on July 8 and a virtual exhibition has been launched.

55apartments  "We will be providing car parking for the use of future residents and guests. There will be 21 spaces within landscaped parking courtyards."   &shake&

full story  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19423401.plans-build-55-retirement-apartments-llandudnos-maelgwyn-road-car-park/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8477 on: July 07, 2021, 10:08:14 am »
Residents adjacent to a controversial 49-home development have distributed a picture which they say highlights the “traffic mayhem” to come if it goes ahead.

Local activist Ruby Williams, a member of the Nant-y-Gamar group opposed to Anwyl’s scheme in Llandudno, said she wants the photo included as evidence from local residents when the site comes before Conwy county council’s planning committee.

Residents of Nant-y-Gamar Road have said they already live in a “traffic nightmare” and fear the 49-home estate being proposed for Bodafon Fields would turn the area’s roads into “mayhem”.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19425031.reality-traffic-issues-near-proposed-49-home-development-proposed-llandudno/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8478 on: July 07, 2021, 02:37:02 pm »
Has the application actually been submitted to CCBC as I cannot find the application in the search I made?

Cllr Bradfield urged residents to write to the planning department at Conwy county council quoting the planning reference 0/48610.
I tried that ref but there was no trace on the CCBC Planning website

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8479 on: July 07, 2021, 02:55:12 pm »
Has the application actually been submitted to CCBC as I cannot find the application in the search I made?
Cllr Bradfield urged residents to write to the planning department at Conwy county council quoting the planning reference 0/48610.
I tried that ref but there was no trace on the CCBC Planning website

I only have the original link on the Pioneer story............ https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/llandudno/19395315.controversial-llandudno-housing-development-plans-lodged/

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #8480 on: July 07, 2021, 04:43:05 pm »
I have just checked on the Planning portal & it's the right application number 0/48610 Hugo, Try putting in Nant y Gamar Road, Llandudno in the site address with no application number. There are quite a lot of objection letters & rightly so.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8481 on: July 07, 2021, 06:47:42 pm »
Thanks very much Meleri,  I had tried both the application number and the address before but nothing happened.     This time however I saw the application straight away and there are a lot of valid objections there.
I can tell you that Mostyn Estates have been planning this for a while and they are testing the water for any future developments

No surprises from Anwyl though and it's time that the CCBC looked after local people and especially the younger ones.   One potentially controversial  factor for this proposed development, will the houses be freehold or leasehold?

If you hear of any whispers about Anwyl and the Penmorfa Hotel saga would you mind posting them on her.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8482 on: July 08, 2021, 09:58:51 am »
PLANS to bring sand back to Llandudno's North Shore beach will begin by next March, government officials confirm.

The scheme, which will cost around £24m according to private consultants, would see stones removed from the town’s beach area after seven years in place. Instead, sand and wooden groynes would be reintroduced as a way to break up waves as a flood defence.

It is estimated the council’s portion of the final bill for the work will be around £3.6m after helped from Welsh Government.

As well as acting to protect homes and businesses from future flood risks, councillors have said this could help boost post-Covid tourism for the coastal town.

In a previous Pioneer report, Deganwy’s cllr Julie Fallon said: “It’s a no-brainer for me that it’s going to improve tourism.

“I look forward to when I can sit on the beach with my kids and think ‘we helped to make this happen’.”

In June, Iwan Davies, CEO of Conwy county council, warned members “we will not be putting sand on the beach any time very soon” after the cabinet backed Llandudno’s new sea defence scheme.

cont   https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19425116.work-bring-sandy-beach-back-llandudno-start-march-2022/?ref=rss&IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8483 on: July 13, 2021, 09:52:17 am »
I do not see why financial compensation makes up for the lack of parking ?

An amended scheme to convert a former pub into 20 apartments should be refused, planning officers say, until an agreement is reached on how much compensation is paid for a lack of parking.

Conwy County council's planning committee will discuss the altered planning application for the former Nevill pub on Augusta Street at Wednesday's planning meeting.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/plan-convert-former-llandudno-pub-21032929

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8484 on: July 15, 2021, 11:26:23 am »
Everyone should be cremated and thrown in the sea' says councillor in Llandudno cemetery debate
Andrew Hinchliff made the astonishing intervention during a council planning committee hearing on a bid to extend the Llanrhos site by 1,600 burial plots

CHARMING!         &shake&

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/everyone-should-cremated-thrown-sea-21054786

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #8485 on: July 15, 2021, 02:10:21 pm »
This article regarding Cllr Hinchliff has been taken completely out of context. For the sake of sensationalism Jez Hemmings Reporter, as per usual, presenting a story in a way that intended to provoke public interest at the expense of a persons reputation. I commend Cllr Hinchliff for his suggestion of perhaps making the new area in to a lawned cemetery area with no upright headstones, as it would be better visually in a designated special landscaped, green wedge area. Cllr Hinchliff stated his comment was his opinion & aren't we all entitled to an opinion? Mr Hemmings would be better concentrating on interesting articles regarding the shortage of land in the area for building decent affordable homes for our young people & the generations to come. On a personal note I will be cremated when it's my time & would love for my ashes to be scattered in Conwy estuary.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #8486 on: July 15, 2021, 02:34:46 pm »
Everyone should be cremated and thrown in the sea' says councillor in Llandudno cemetery debate
Andrew Hinchliff made the astonishing intervention during a council planning committee hearing on a bid to extend the Llanrhos site by 1,600 burial plots

CHARMING!         &shake&

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/everyone-should-cremated-thrown-sea-21054786

Agreed Hugo--how insensitive can you get?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8487 on: July 15, 2021, 03:48:41 pm »
I can fully understand what you are saying Meleri about it being taken completely out of context and it's a similar thing to what Boris Johnson was alleged to have said when he said that he "would rather see bodies pile up than order another lockdown."
However it's not the type of language you would expect from a Councillor and certainly not from a PM.   They are quite rightly entitled to an opinion but they should be tactful and not leave themselves vulnerable to reporters.

As for affordable housing and especially for local people who have lived in the area all their life then I think that there is no chance of ever seeing that happen again.    I'm afraid that someday Llandudno Junction, Degany, Llanrhos and Llandudno will merge into one built up area and the new houses will be four and five bedroomed detached houses with nothing available for the young local people

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8488 on: July 17, 2021, 10:20:56 am »
The three-word slogan that might save your life if you get into trouble off the coast of Llandudno
Hands. Face. Space. may be a familiar phrase associated with the pandemic, but it's also being used on the what3words location app

t's been linked to a location just off the coast of Llandudno and could even be the three words that one day might save your life.

The what3words location app has divided the planet into 57 trillion 3m x 3m squares, with each pinpointed location identified by its own own three-word codename.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/three-word-slogan-might-save-20945901?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8489 on: July 18, 2021, 09:57:17 am »
WOW............what a write up.

11 lessons Llandudno can teach the rest of Wales about seaside tourism
Despite the challenges of successive lockdowns, long-term confidence remains in the 'Queen of Welsh resort's' economic prospects

On a recent visit to Llandudno, an Aberystwyth councillor was “amazed” to see the difference between the two seaside towns.

Cllr Mair Benjamin marveled at Llandudno’s pristine promenade, floral displays, independent shops and wide open streets.

In a letter to fellow members of Aberystwyth Town Council, she called on them to arrange a study visit to Llandudno to see if lessons can be learned.

Below, North Wales Live has saved Ms Benjamin the trouble by outlining some of the steps and measures taken by Llandudno to ensure it remains the “Queen of Welsh resorts”.

full article, a must read ...........  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/11-lessons-llandudno-can-teach-21071171?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589