Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2648188 times)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #8445 on: May 26, 2021, 01:54:37 pm »
As far as I know Hugo, Mostyn own the Maelgwyn Road one, the Council own the one opposite and Network Rail the one alongside the station.  The station one could be extended further towards the signal box if there was demand.

I recall Mostyn applied for planning for residential (12 flats) in 2002 and permission was granted in 2003.  App 0/26323.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?..sea defence scheme
« Reply #8446 on: May 27, 2021, 09:48:57 am »
Decision time for controversial Llandudno sea defence scheme
The decision to dump thousand of tons of stone on the sand at North Shore sparked an outcry - now two entirely different schemes are being considered

Since then a coastal forum, including councillors, council officers and interested members of the public, has been prevaricating over what to do next - as it's estimated sea levels could rise by between 0.89-1.21m over the next 100 years.

As a result of those deliberations councillors are being asked to choose between two entirely different schemes for North Shore, in a bid to access some of the £150m on offer from Welsh Government as part of its Coastal Risk Management Programme.

The preferred - and cheapest - option for officers is to continue with the status quo of a cobble bank but increase the height of the promenade wall at a total cost of around £6.7m. This would include periodic maintenance of West Shore's defences.

The second option, to remove the cobbles, replace sand and manage erosion by the use of timber groynes would cost almost £24m according to officers.

If the bid to get the work done in Llandudno was successful 85% of the scheme costs would be refunded by Welsh Government, leaving Conwy county council with a bill of either £1m or £3.6m to be met from capital budgets.

A public event in 2019 found locals "strongly requested CCBC pursued the option at North Shore to replace the existing coastal defence mechanism protecting the revetment (cobble) with sand and control structures".

Cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/decision-time-controversial-llandudno-sea-20683528?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8447 on: May 27, 2021, 10:07:16 am »
Shame the idiots didn't maintain the groynes we would still have a lovely sandy beach, instead they dumped Quarry rocks at great expense, they even dredged the sand from the first line of defence for colwyn bay.     

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #8448 on: May 28, 2021, 10:12:17 am »
It's not rocket science but shouldn't the sea defence project have been discussed before dumpimg any quarry waste on the North Shore.   It's a bit late after the event when the options are restricted accordingly

I've read some of the suggestions put forward about the North and West Shore beaches and they are just unbelievably stupid.     I just hope that the suggestion of raising the West Shore sea wall by a few inches is put back in the rubbish bin.
Since that wall was build around 1952,  to the best of my knowledge and belief it has never been breached.    Not by the water anyway but by the sand caused by the work done in 1993.

They should remove the quarry waste from the North Shore and the imported sand from the West Shore and do the job properly this time

Will they do it?   don't forget that it's the CCBC after all                    &shake&

Offline mull

« Reply #8449 on: May 28, 2021, 10:30:13 am »
Also reinstall the Groynes on the North Shore.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8450 on: May 28, 2021, 12:54:30 pm »
Also reinstall the Groynes on the North Shore.

And the West Shore too. and remove the stone groynes there.      A stone breakwater  is needed there now but not attached to the shore   

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8451 on: May 28, 2021, 08:19:12 pm »
Hugo we all know the problem with the sand started when the put them two Boulder groynes there, as you say why didn't/ don't they put a barrier out further, as we know when the groynes were on both beaches no problem, since the roads flooded in the 30s extra wall has been built, maybe if they cleared All the sand from the grass area by the pool area that road wall would be much higher.    One option they could think of move all that rock out further out by the both ormes as a breakwater.  They say the water levels are rising and yet they dredged the sand for colwyn bay from the constable bank, yes our first line of defence. Duh.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8452 on: May 29, 2021, 11:05:02 am »
LLANDUDNO has appointed its youngest mayor in history after being sworn in at the Town Hall.

Harry Saville, who took on the role and regalia on Friday, May 21, said he will aim to find practical ways that Llandudno Town Council can support the community as it emerges from the Covid-19 lockdown.

Cllr Saville, who represents Gogarth ward on the town council and Conwy County Borough Council, has worked in the tourism sector and volunteers on the Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland Railways.

He was born in Crewe and grew up near Altrincham before moving to Llandudno in 2002. He has family connections to Llandudno extending over three generations, and was educated at Rydal Penrhos Secondary School followed by Coleg Llandrillo.

He then studied for a degree at Aberystwyth University, followed by a Graduate Diploma in Law completed at Chester Law School.

Cllr Saville was first elected to represent the Gogarth ward on Llandudno Town Council in 2017, having also been elected to represent the same ward on Conwy County Borough Council in a by-election in December 2015.

The mayor said he will also aim to enhance public spaces for the benefit of local residents, with one example being Llandudno Town Council’s commitment to boost its funding for playground maintenance.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8453 on: May 31, 2021, 10:25:16 am »
Busy day for Llandudno, hopefully not a busy few weeks for the NHS ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8454 on: June 03, 2021, 09:37:30 am »
I believe that there was a meeting yesterday about the proposed Llandudno sea defence.      Has anyone heard what the outcome of the meeting was?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8455 on: June 03, 2021, 10:36:05 am »
I believe that there was a meeting yesterday about the proposed Llandudno sea defence.      Has anyone heard what the outcome of the meeting was?

Hearing FB rumours,

A section from pier to Vaughan St, remove stones replace sand and groynes ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8456 on: June 03, 2021, 11:14:12 am »
Thanks Steve,  I don't do FB so I didn't see that post.    No news about the West Shore project then?

So we are returning to the Status Quo.     Dumping the quarry waste and then removing it to show what we had before, how much money has the CCBC wasted on this?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8457 on: June 03, 2021, 11:22:58 am »
Thanks Steve,  I don't do FB so I didn't see that post.    No news about the West Shore project then?

So we are returning to the Status Quo.     Dumping the quarry waste and then removing it to show what we had before, how much money has the CCBC wasted on this?

Not sure, we will have to wait for the full report  :(

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8458 on: June 03, 2021, 01:22:55 pm »
Yes Hugo councillors at the meeting voted 13 for sand & groynes 1 abstained, why not have the guts to vote one way or other, now it has to go to cabinet, , not one of cabinet are from Llandudno 🤔  We await with interest, all them millions wasted on them rocks when us locals new all along wooden groynes & sand done the job perfect.  😡😡

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #8459 on: June 03, 2021, 03:39:32 pm »
I thought Greg Robbins, Louise Emery and Chris Cater were CCBC members for Llandudno wards and they are in the cabinet.  Unless something has changed of course.