Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612162 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #8325 on: October 09, 2020, 03:18:24 pm »
Anti-lockdown protest planned in Llandudno by group calling for end to local restrictions
Campaigners are fighting against restrictions imposed in Conwy county

An anti-lockdown protest is being planned to call for an end to local restrictions in Conwy county.

It comes after council leader Sam Rowlands urged First Minister Mark Drakeford to lift the ban on moving in and out of the area without reasonable excuse, claiming it was likely to be "catastrophic" for the local economy and the health and wellbeing of residents.

His call was supported by North Wales Tourism boss Jim Jones amid claims there is "no evidence" that the movement of people in the area has contributed to higher coronavirus case numbers.

Data published by Public Health Wales earlier this week showed that Conwy had the lowest percentage of positive covid cases out of the four North Wales areas currently in lockdown -  including Denbighshire, Wrexham and Flintshire.

The situation has sparked anger within the community and has led to a Facebook group called End Conwy County's Local Lockdown being set up.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/anti-lockdown-protest-planned-llandudno-19077189

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #8326 on: October 09, 2020, 06:16:36 pm »
I bet that lot would also vote for Donald Trump if they could. I've been looking at the increase Covid figures for Conwy over the last two weeks with nothing short of dismay. Lock the whole place down please and keep us safe
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8327 on: October 09, 2020, 10:55:10 pm »
Is it coming up to election time in Conwy or has Sam Rowlands been sponsored by Rowlands Chemists?
Rowlands Chemists are certain to make a huge profit if these crackpot ideas of this Tory are implemented

I'll just reiterate what I've posted on here before and that was when I was in Moelfre Anglesey recently and was sitting on a low wall well away from anyone.     A woman came and sat next to me, in fact shoulder to shoulder.    My wife moved quickly further away and i went with her.
I spoke to the woman who was from Stockport and told her about the two metre rule in Wales and she alleged that she was unaware of the Welsh rules, she also seemed to be unaware of the English rules too as Stockport was in lockdown!           &shake&

No one likes these rules but they are there for a purpose and we should abide by them, after all they are there to protect people and the NHS

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8328 on: October 23, 2020, 02:27:51 pm »
I had a short walk down Mostyn Street from the HSPB to Boots and noticed that a number of the paving flags were wonky.     I don't suppose for one minute that Mostyn Estates Lts would be interested in paying for those flags to be relaid

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8329 on: October 23, 2020, 03:50:05 pm »
Hugo the other side from Burtons corner to round the Carlton the paving has been done only from the pavement to the canopy so it looks nice until under the canopy, I don't know if it was just the council or if Mostyn est contributed. As you say the other side is a mess.     Oh I've been give lots of papers ref old families, names where they lived occupation etc, I think you would enjoy reading through them.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8330 on: October 23, 2020, 04:39:17 pm »
Norman,  you've been around long enough to know about Mostyn Estates.      &shake&

Mostyn Estates made it quite clear at the time that they would not contribute even though they own the freehold

Can you remember Edward Hiller making promises to pay for Victorian Street lights and also contribute to Victorian style shelters on the promenade?      That money never saw the light of day and remains in their fat coffers

Those papers sound interesting, keep them safe and when the Pandemic is over and if I'm still here then it would be nice to look at them.  I've been meaning to go to Llanengan for a number of years to see the area where our Taid's family came from but for various reasons haven't made that trip and the current situation doesn't help either.
Stay safe and well and keep taking the dog for walks on the West Shore

Offline llandudnotrust

« Reply #8331 on: October 25, 2020, 11:33:05 am »
Protest taking place on the Prom

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #8332 on: October 25, 2020, 01:31:24 pm »
Protest taking place on the Prom

More on the protest....

Hundreds of anti-lockdown protesters have gathered in Llandudno.

The peaceful crowd marched along the seaside resort's promenade and are gathering at the bandstand to hear speeches calling for restrictions, imposed to stop the spread of coronavirus, to be lifted.

The organisers called for people whose jobs, businesses, families or futures have been affected by the previous local lockdown, which was in force in four North Wales counties, including Conwy, to "make a stand and let your voice be heard".

It states: "The aim of this group is to gather enough people that feel the same way and are willing to try and make a change.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-hundreds-join-llandudno-anti-19162831

Offline DVT

« Reply #8333 on: October 25, 2020, 04:52:05 pm »
I wonder how many will be tested positive in next couple of weeks.

Guess we'll never know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8334 on: October 25, 2020, 05:00:01 pm »
"The protest was originally organised before the 'fire-break' lockdown was announced when four of the six north Wales counties were under local lockdown.

It followed after council leader Sam Rowlands urged First Minister Mark Drakeford to lift the ban on moving in and out of the area without reasonable excuse, claiming it was likely to be "catastrophic" for the local economy and the health and well being of residents."

Perhaps these responsible organisers can arrange for a petition to be signed by the protesters calling for a ban on these so called muzzles and also refusing to use the NHS facilities if they develop any signs of Covid

Once the protest is over then perhaps the Police will stop acting like bystanders and do their job and fine Cllr Rowlands and all the other organisers the £10K  that they have fined other Covidiots

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #8335 on: October 25, 2020, 06:41:00 pm »
And I thought it was only American Republican Voters who had the monopoly on stupid, seems I was wrong. Careful foks they walk amongst us.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Dave

« Reply #8336 on: October 26, 2020, 12:49:25 pm »
Seems Corvid is about the only thing anyone talks about these days no matter where you look!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8337 on: October 26, 2020, 04:50:35 pm »
According to Mattie Ginsberg one of the speakers at the protest rally,  "a second protest is being planned for November 7th"        &shake&

The Police apparently spoke to the organisers prior to the protest rally but it still went ahead and apparently no arrests were made.    Will the Police do anything if the second rally goes ahead as promised?

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8338 on: October 26, 2020, 08:39:49 pm »
So the organiser of this didn't even get up and speak, but this gimp from Bangor jumps on the bandwagon and a German gets up to speak, I bet they won't get anymore there.

Online Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8339 on: October 27, 2020, 09:50:56 am »
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.