Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2642140 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #8280 on: July 20, 2020, 04:52:51 pm »
A HUGELY popular event that last year attracted 19,000 spectators has been cancelled in response to Covid-19.

Llandudno Town Council has organised the annual fireworks display since its inception back in 1976.

Having worked with various partners and agencies, as well as consulted with health and safety experts, the town council said they have been left with 'no other option' but to cancel the event for 2020.

Cont   https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18593949.disappointment-llandudnos-firework-display-2020-cancelled/

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #8281 on: July 27, 2020, 09:42:04 am »
The RNLI came to the rescue yesterday of paddle boarders clinging to the rocks near the Little Orme

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/paddle-boarders-left-clinging-rocks-18666472

Offline Hugo

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8283 on: August 11, 2020, 02:50:00 pm »
Anyone who has noticed that the area near the Welcome to Llandudno Sign at the top of Penrhyn Hill is untidy and overgrown, there is a reason, the council found rare orchids on the site, and are waiting until they have finished seeding.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8284 on: August 11, 2020, 04:22:36 pm »
Tellytubby sent me an e-mail with a great photo of the storm over Llandudno last night, the photo was posted on facebook

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8285 on: August 13, 2020, 04:47:17 pm »
Llandudno’s wild goats have become a global commercial hit since their cheeky antics at the height of lockdown were beamed around the world.

The herd of Kashmiri goats has become a valuable commodity after winning a legion of new celebrity fans such as US talk show host Ellen DeGeneres and Star Trek actor George Takei.

They were turned into global stars in a social media video campaign by motor manufacturer Jeep, and their presence in Llandudno’s empty streets helped raise more than £100,000 for the town’s St David’s Hospice, which brought out a range of goat-inspired T-shirts and cuddly toys.

Tourism chiefs in North Wales are now looking at ways Llandudno and the wider area can use the town’s new celebrities to lure more visitors.

Jeep’s USA media producers in Chicago became interested after local entrepreneur Paul Levy captured video of the brazen beast nibbling plants and hedges at Livetech, his web design and marketing agency at 16 Trinity Square.

The 52-year-old has since donated Jeep’s $1,000 video licensing fee to St David’s Hospice.
“We’ve had lots of different approaches from people and a few of them were trying to gain exclusivity on this,” said the father-of-five, who lives in Colwyn Bay.

Cont  plus more on how their Tshirt sales have raised over £100,000   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/car-giant-jeep-paid-1000-18762387

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #8286 on: August 13, 2020, 08:49:39 pm »

Llandudno’s wild goats have become a global commercial hit since their cheeky antics at the height of lockdown were beamed around the world.

Cont  plus more on how their Tshirt sales have raised over £100,000   https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/car-giant-jeep-paid-1000-18762387

Perhaps some of the money could be used to reimburse the people who's gardens are ravaged by the infurnal beasts every winter, because there is no suitable fodder left on the Orme, after the summer grazing.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8287 on: August 14, 2020, 10:21:57 am »
Blongb, not my favorite bit of local wildlife, being as my garden is on their favorites list  :(  but I have to admit, they have been a good advert for the town, below are the links for the Youtube videos

Llandudno Goats feature in Jeep USA and Worldwide Advert  ...................  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAy3pOD9HKQ

Jeep® | Nature Returns                                                  ..................... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFRPNAYXxaw
14,592 views•22 May 2020
It happened in cities and towns all over the world this spring. While we were keeping our distance nature returned, to remind us that we’re in this together.

Offline Dave

« Reply #8288 on: August 24, 2020, 08:53:47 pm »
Am I alone in noticing the amount of noise that happens around a certain time each and every day that comes from either a motorbike or a car. Last night was ridiculous, sounded like gunfire going off and lasted for at least 5 minutes. It was so loud and so prolonged I started to wonder if indeed we had been picked as a soft target by terrorists.
Where were our local police when this was going on? No doubt enjoying whatever they have installed for their leisure purposes in the recently built police station that resembles a cinema from outside. You wouldn't actually want to go out on patrol when you have a gym and whatever on offer would you?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #8289 on: August 25, 2020, 01:13:55 am »
Am I alone in noticing the amount of noise that happens around a certain time each and every day that comes from either a motorbike or a car. Last night was ridiculous, sounded like gunfire going off and lasted for at least 5 minutes. It was so loud and so prolonged I started to wonder if indeed we had been picked as a soft target by terrorists.
Where were our local police when this was going on? No doubt enjoying whatever they have installed for their leisure purposes in the recently built police station that resembles a cinema from outside. You wouldn't actually want to go out on patrol when you have a gym and whatever on offer would you?

Dave, As Regards the police, their priorities and their effectiveness... you are closer to the truth than anyone would ever think possible.
From what I have seen at first hand recently, I honestly believe that they have become a waste of public money.
This is coming from a person who has had several, time served police officers in my own family.
The situation has become frightening.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Dave

« Reply #8290 on: August 26, 2020, 11:41:21 am »
Fester.... I have had several incidents that should have led to more active policing locally but it seems they just can't be bothered. Nowadays arresting someone is so time consuming as they have to transport them to St Asaph to the custody suite and fill in a multitude of documents so it's avoided at all if possible. The best way to do that is not to be present at anti-social behaviour incidents or responding to some crimes. It's no wonder we are losing respect for law enforcement. It used to be a complaint we had no police out on the beat by foot, nowadays you don't see them in cars very often and if you do it's likely they have popped out for a takeaway before returning to their leisure bunker.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #8291 on: August 27, 2020, 01:39:16 am »
Fester.... I have had several incidents that should have led to more active policing locally but it seems they just can't be bothered. Nowadays arresting someone is so time consuming as they have to transport them to St Asaph to the custody suite and fill in a multitude of documents so it's avoided at all if possible. The best way to do that is not to be present at anti-social behaviour incidents or responding to some crimes. It's no wonder we are losing respect for law enforcement. It used to be a complaint we had no police out on the beat by foot, nowadays you don't see them in cars very often and if you do it's likely they have popped out for a takeaway before returning to their leisure bunker.

Absolutely right Dave.
I used to fear and worry about a lawless society, but that’s pretty much what we have these days.
That’s no exaggeration when you look around you.
I’ve been pretty badly assaulted in the last year, and also had my car written off by a hit and run.
Both incidents were captured on CCTV.... supposedly...neither were ever looked into, never mind resolved.
It is what it is...

Fester...

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #8292 on: August 27, 2020, 12:46:03 pm »
Absolutely right Dave.
I used to fear and worry about a lawless society, but that’s pretty much what we have these days.
That’s no exaggeration when you look around you.
I’ve been pretty badly assaulted in the last year, and also had my car written off by a hit and run.
Both incidents were captured on CCTV.... supposedly...neither were ever looked into, never mind resolved.
It is what it is...

Sorry to read of your troubles Fester, "Walk softly and carry a big stick."
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8293 on: August 27, 2020, 01:51:18 pm »
Fester,  I'm so sorry to hear about that assault on you and hope that your physical injuries have healed,  it must have been very traumatic and the emotional reaction takes longer to heal.
Fortunately for me I haven't been assaulted but I've been the victim of a hit and run too but thankfully it was when my wife's car was parked in Morrison's car park when she was shopping there.
The woman in a red BMW drove into the next parking bay to my wife's car and hit it causing £300.00 plus damage and then immediately drove off.
It was witnessed by a man who ran to see the damage and wrote a note with the person's registration details on it, unfortunately the witness didn't leave his contact details
It was reported to the Police and they found the CCTV footage but said that they couldn't prosecute the person as the camera didn't show the actual impact.     I insisted on the Police taking paint scrapings from my car but then they said that forensic tests are only done in "serious"  accidents so Justice only comes at a price.
I then went for a private prosecution through my car insurance policy but ironically the woman was also insured with with them.  So I negotiated a settlement in my favour and left it like that.
I've now got dash cams on both my cars but hope that I never need to have to rely on them for evidence in the future

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #8294 on: August 27, 2020, 11:40:49 pm »
I was fine after a couple of days.
An angry tourist reached in through my car window and landed a few punches before I was able to defend myself.
I thought at first that my jaw might be broken, but after a couple of days the strange cracking noises stopped and it settled down.
An off duty copper witnessed it, and went to the Tram station to make sure they kept the CCTV footage.
He then came to my house, with the Tramway manager, and told me that they were taking it forward with the police.
A few days went by, the copper said he had filed his full report and the perpetrator from Liverpool had been identified.
That’s the last I heard, and nothing ever happened.
Ah well, such is life.
I’ve had worse hidings in my life, but I’m getting on a bit now, it takes longer for the bruises to go.  Ha ha.

Fester...