Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612340 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #8250 on: May 15, 2020, 01:43:51 pm »
Hugo, I think they have moved into Trinity Square, it is going to be difficult, convincing them to go back up the Orme.

There were 20 or more in Rectory Lane and Church Walks the other afternoon. My OH and another chap herded them into St Georges' grounds for their safety and everyone elses.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #8251 on: May 15, 2020, 02:47:06 pm »
There were 20 or more in Rectory Lane and Church Walks the other afternoon. My OH and another chap herded them into St Georges' grounds for their safety and everyone elses.

Probably wishful thinking on my part.    :(

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #8252 on: May 16, 2020, 07:57:09 pm »
We had 3 big Billy.s out the back of ours last night and as a consequence we managed to get rid of a large pile of privet cuttings with out having to buy a bin from Brysons and it probably saved a lot of the gardens further down Hill Terrace.  *tumble* 
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8253 on: May 23, 2020, 10:09:34 am »
Second home owner says it's 'only fair' he gets council tax rebate while he can't visit in lockdown
Michael Singleton, who has a property in Llandudno, said he understands why he can't visit North Wales.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/second-home-owner-says-its-18283034

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8254 on: May 23, 2020, 05:21:09 pm »
Second home owner says it's 'only fair' he gets council tax rebate while he can't visit in lockdown
Michael Singleton, who has a property in Llandudno, said he understands why he can't visit North Wales.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/second-home-owner-says-its-18283034

If the chap spends 50% of his time in Llandudno then 50% of his time is spent in Cheshire so why has he not already claimed Council Tax relief from the Cheshire Council?   
Perhaps he should try that and see what the reply is from that English Council

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8255 on: May 27, 2020, 04:14:29 pm »
Thankfully it all ended well but it could have been so different.     Locals should know better on the West Shore but were these people Covidiots or not as the report doesn't mention the fact?

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/family-trapped-sandbank-rescued-seconds-18318940

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8256 on: May 30, 2020, 05:21:49 pm »
Seemed a lot more people about today, lots of walkers and cyclists passing by, we could also hear a couple of small garden parties close by, but the main observation has been the number of sirens today, lots of medical and at least three fire sirens, is this it getting back to normal ?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8257 on: May 31, 2020, 06:25:25 pm »
The most important thing is that the 30 people who were on the sandbank at West Shore are safe and well but there is obviously a problem there that needs addressing.
I wonder if those people were local and either oblivious to the danger they had placed themselves and potential rescuers in or were they just stupid?    Does anyone know if the rescuers have to ask the people if they are local as part of their work in the present circumstances?
Visitors may be unaware of the dangers and although they shouldn't be there anyway, no one wants a repetition of the fatality that happened some years ago on that sandbank
Perhaps a warning sign near the car park is needed as not only is it a popular place it also has a web cam there just in case any undesirables wanted to damage the sign

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8258 on: May 31, 2020, 06:56:47 pm »
I've long pondered whether they're simply and woefully ignorant or plain stupid.  I wonder how anyone living in the UK can reach adulthood and not understand tides. Of course, we do have one of the larger tidal ranges in global terms, but even simple observation would suggest that the tides do come in and out and can reach a decent height.

Hoylake and West Kirby both have signs warning of quick sands and tidal gullies. But people continue to get trapped.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8259 on: May 31, 2020, 07:16:21 pm »
Hugo I,m sorry to say some so called locals are stupid, I've heard some say I know what I,m doing I know the tides and the banks,😡 If on your walk if you stand on invalids or better still climb the zig zag to the top ( the styal ) and look down to see how the banks have changed by the Orme side, they would like to put a pontoon over that side but scared youngsters would mess with it, the thing is the weather has been great as soon as the first rescue took place the council Should have got the guy down there patrolling,but patrolling from the middle not by the Orme, people say their are enough signs to be honest I don't think so. But you can never have enough signs.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8260 on: May 31, 2020, 11:11:57 pm »
I took this photo a while ago and can see exactly what you mean Norman.      That first groyne has altered the natural flow of the sea and created that sandbank.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8261 on: June 01, 2020, 09:04:05 am »
Yes Hugo as you can see to the right and front of that groyne the way it has changed the water comes in so quick round there, I was on the beach with the dog one morning within half hour the tide had come in so quick, so as I say a lot of these so called locals who say they know the area Don't,i always remember what my dad said always respect the sea.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8262 on: June 01, 2020, 09:56:16 am »
Good words of advice from your Dad Norman.      $good$

Your Dad was an expert on the sea and I remember a story which Uncle Bob told me many years ago when he was a night watchman on the Pier.   One evening as it was getting darker a yacht had started to moor by the Pier so Uncle Bob shouted to the boat owner " you can't moor there" but before he could finish his sentence  the boat owner angrily shouted back " I can moor the boat anywhere I like"
What Uncle Bob was going to say was " you can't moor there BECAUSE the tide goes out past that point"
He had the last laugh anyway because in the morning he could see the owner of the single keeled yacht baling out the water as the yacht went on its side.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8263 on: June 01, 2020, 03:27:10 pm »
Seemed a lot more people about today, lots of walkers and cyclists passing by, we could also hear a couple of small garden parties close by, but the main observation has been the number of sirens today, lots of medical and at least three fire sirens, is this it getting back to normal ?

After mentioning on Saturday the number of sirens I heard throughout the day, the reasons have now come to light, apart from the Fire serviceĀ“s three call outs,  I had forgotten that the Coastguard vehicles also use sirens, I presume now on their way to the West Shore situations, and I have just read that Police and paramedics were called to a Llandudno man, in Madoc street, who had unfortunately passed away.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8264 on: June 02, 2020, 10:55:37 am »
It seems that Rhyl has the same problem with idiots on the sandbanks

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/two-people-rescued-lifeboat-crews-18347482