Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613279 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #8235 on: April 16, 2020, 08:54:10 am »
It certainly is.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #8236 on: April 28, 2020, 10:40:55 am »
An application has gone in to CCBC Planning Department for a development of 89 dwellings comprising 33 houses & 56 Apartments, at land adjacent to Llandudno Station. Lane End Development Construction Ltd a Warrington Company will build the proposed development on behalf of a Housing Association & will deliver 100% affordable housing.
I hope this application is successful, as this type of development is very much needed in the area, especially for the over 65's.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8237 on: April 28, 2020, 10:51:00 am »
It's time that that old Station Yard was developed and nice to see the word "affordable"  especially for 100% of the dwellings.    The only thing that would bother me is Mostyn Estates interest as they own the freehold on that eyesore that was once a car wash.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8238 on: April 28, 2020, 11:25:28 am »
Hugo will be very interesting what happens with that planning app as only last year they rejected peter Jones from the Neville to build flats rejected worry about flooding etc that is in the same area, why that guy has sat on that land all these years different people have been in touch with him re buying but wouldn't even the council that land was part of plans to fit in with regeneration of the town , we will wait and see what talks Again in our town .

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8239 on: April 28, 2020, 11:54:52 am »
You've got a point Norman about the application  that Peter Jones made for the Neville.     I'm no expert but would imagine that the former Castle Hotel isn't situated on higher ground than the Neville so how come the Castle Hotel got planning and the Neville didn't.   
Perhaps the answer is too obvious

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #8240 on: April 28, 2020, 12:11:48 pm »
« Reply #8203 on: February 05, 2020, 10:13:02 AM »    http://www.threetownsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7.8190.html#top

The above post, had the Pioneer's piece on the original application, part of the piece said.......

" The site is listed in a C1 (low risk) flood zone and reports by the developer state groundwater flooding will not be a problem. A small area of land will be elevated to minimise any flood fears."

Appreciating the need for affordable housing, it was also mentioned, that this land is one of the few suitable places left for car parking in Llandudno.

Offline Dave

« Reply #8241 on: April 28, 2020, 04:38:02 pm »

I hope this application is successful, as this type of development is very much needed in the area, especially for the over 65's.

Really...over 65's? Surely they would be either bought by new retirees to the area and not locals, or if they are locals, why would they need one as they would already have one because they certainly wouldn't be getting a mortgage at that age.
I'm sure the target age would be much, much younger.

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8242 on: April 28, 2020, 05:17:54 pm »
I don’t think housing associations sell their properties
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #8243 on: April 28, 2020, 05:48:37 pm »
Affordable by way of rents, Dave.

Offline Meleri

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #8244 on: April 29, 2020, 11:02:30 am »
To be eligible for a Housing Association dwelling you have to be on the Social Housing Register. There are over 1,000 people on the Conwy County register & a high percentage are over 65. A lot of these people have lost their Partner/Husband/Wife & children left home, leaving a single person living in a 3/4 bedroom house they can't afford & wish to transfer to a smaller property, but there aren't many available. If they built more smaller dwellings to move these people to this would release the larger properties for families. Some housing associations do offer part buy part rent to people on low incomes on the register, to help them get on the housing ladder. These properties won't be on the open market.

Offline Llewlyn

« Reply #8245 on: April 29, 2020, 06:19:53 pm »
The 2 bedroom terraced houses in Conwy Town used to be bought by 60+ downsizing, they have two bedrooms and are ideal for shopping, pubs and restaurants, not needing a car. Sadly these houses are being snapped up by investors to rent out as holiday cottages. Two bedroom ones are advertized as suitable for up to 6 guests. Sardines or what, large SUVs block the streets, its party central.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8246 on: May 15, 2020, 11:17:48 am »
I had a quick visit to the West Shore yesterday and it was a lovely day and for a change it wasn't windy there.    There weren't many people about apart from a group of about 6 to 8 young male and female anglers about to go fishing.
No social distancing of course and I don't know if they were local or not as they should have known that the tide was out!

No Goats to be seen anywhere either, perhaps Steve and Nemesis have sent them packing!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #8247 on: May 15, 2020, 11:25:17 am »
Hugo, I think they have moved into Trinity Square, it is going to be difficult, convincing them to go back up the Orme.

Another old haunt of yours...........
Penderyn secures whisky distillery go-ahead despite residents' concerns over 'smells'
The £5m distillery will be constructed at the Old Board School site in Llandudno

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/penderyn-secures-whisky-distillery-go-18252769

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8248 on: May 15, 2020, 12:52:12 pm »
That's OK then Steve but don't chase them off to Colwyn Bay      ;D

I enjoyed going to the Archives in the old Lloyd Street School.     I remember the Head's office very well as we only went there to get the cane!   

I'll be glad when the new Archives opens to the public in Conwy it looks a nice building

Offline Dave

« Reply #8249 on: May 15, 2020, 01:38:35 pm »
They appear to have changed the traffic lights at the right turn towards Champneys by McDonalds. Long delays waiting when there is little traffic encouraging drivers to go through on red. Why the change doesn't make sense to me.