Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613397 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #8175 on: November 08, 2019, 08:45:19 am »
It's very difficult to comprehend why teens sometimes indulge in senseless vandalism. A lot of it is peer pressure, combined with the natural teen tendency to rebel. But you're right, Norman; I agree the situation was managed correctly. And some of the parents will have realised their children were involved and dealt with them, I suspect. But criminalising teens has been shown to be counter-productive.

One DP comment was

"This is the society we live in parents had all powers of discipline taken away from them and now look at what the country has become since then."

which caused a wry smile. This was a typical 'when I were a a lad' type of comment where the writer believed physical punishment works best for kids. It neatly overlooks things like facts, which show that parents don't need to hit their kids to bring up decent human beings.  But they do have to set the example.

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now? sort of !
« Reply #8176 on: November 12, 2019, 10:09:04 am »
Day Out With The Kids website showcases Llandudno beach.
Tropical white sands and a turquoise sea.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/day-out-kids-website-showcases-17239302

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8177 on: November 16, 2019, 11:11:47 am »
A follow up on the food bank story..... REF DP

Foodbank overwhelmed as school rallies to support Llandudno centre.
Ysgol John Bright youngsters collected donations for Ty Hapus Community Resource Centre following break-in where items were trashed.

A food bank has been overwhelmed by its ‘single biggest donation ever’ thanks to kind-hearted schoolchildren who came to the rescue.
Thanks to Ysgol John Bright, supplies have been replenished after the pupils took part in a non-uniform day to support local children in need - but instead of paying a £1 donation, they were asked to donate an item to the foodbank.
The 16 to 18-year-olds volunteered to spend their day collecting, organising and unloading all the donations for the foodbank.

A spokesman for Ty Hapus said: “This has to be one of the biggest single donations we have ever received!
“Sadly it will be sent back out in parcels very quickly. However, this is going to go a long way to supporting local ‘Children in Need’ and their families."

They added that staff at the food bank are working to develop a relationship with younger generations, so they have a greater understanding of the struggles some in their school are facing.

Ysgol John Bright is also releasing pupils who wish to volunteer their time over the Christmas period to help staff at the foodbank to put together Christmas food parcels.
“Thank you so much to pupils, staff and parents for your kindness. It’s been a pretty heartwarming day", the spokesman added.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8178 on: November 17, 2019, 11:02:05 am »
Watching all the Marathon runners on their way up Church Walks, heading for the Marine Dr. section, I thought initially hundreds, but I believe there could be up to 3,000, very impressive, good luck to them all, and there various charities.

Reading the news this morning I noticed this article, which from my observations, not all of the runners are aware of....  :roll:

Runners at north Wales' largest running event will be disqualified if they drop litter during the race.
Organisers of Sunday's Conwy Half Marathon said the measures had been introduced as plastic was becoming an "increasing problem".
he Run Wales website said runners will also be "taken off the results if seen discarding their rubbish outside of a water stop or not with a marshal".  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50389804

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8179 on: November 18, 2019, 03:23:53 pm »
Air Ambulance has been hovering/circling over Westshore/marine drive area for about 10 mins.... ? 

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #8180 on: November 18, 2019, 03:36:38 pm »
About 20 minutes ago I saw two Police cars with flashing lights on racing up Ty Gwyn Road on the Great Orme, this was followed soon after by a large Police van with its lights flashing too.
Something must be going on up there but I've no idea what

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8181 on: November 18, 2019, 04:25:41 pm »
Still no idea of the situation, I thought I heard it take off a while ago, but it has just lifted and is heading for Bangor.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8182 on: November 18, 2019, 08:04:05 pm »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8183 on: November 18, 2019, 08:16:34 pm »
Apparently there was an accident on the Great Orme today
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/man-flown-hospital-after-great-17277041
Thanks Hugo, I thought it was going to be a worse situation, I thought I heard more than one landing/take off, I had a look at the Coastguard site, I'll post their report below......

We were paged at around 14:30 today to assist the Welsh Ambulance Services NHS Trust with a fallen casualty on the Great Orme.

Also called were the Emergency Medical Retrieval and Transfer Service - EMRTS Wales team on board the Wales Air Ambulance Charity.

It was clear our technical rescue skills were not required on this occasion, however, we were able to provide assistance by setting up a landing site for the helicopter and, once the casualty was packaged, we assisted by carrying the casualty to the helicopter for onward transport to hospital.

Once the helicopter had taken off, we were no longer required and returned to station.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #8184 on: November 19, 2019, 11:51:22 am »
Work has finally started to net off the cliff above the Car Park on Happy Valley Road. Coin Jones has been employed to install the preventative Rock Fall Netting
http://www.rock-engineering.co.uk/index.html
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8185 on: November 21, 2019, 12:49:43 pm »
« Reply #8156 on: October 02, 2019, 12:32:13 PM »

A follow up to the above post.... There is something in my mind that this event cost the council £70,000, but I cannot remember why I think this.... sorry,   anybody ?

A NEW winter event managed to draw in thousands of people, but also left many folk scratching their heads

An impressive 15,000 people turned out for the first Winter Light - Chapter I in Llandudno on Saturday, November 16. During the day, the event featured workshops, textile art drop-in, storytelling, retro games, roaming Pierrot artists, heritage talks, Welsh National Opera Community Chorus, light projections and fire performances.

The main procession on Mostyn Street attracted mixed reviews.   cont.. https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18051655.onward-upwards-attitude-ahead-llandudnos-winter-light-chapter-ii-first-part-event-attracts-mixed-views/

Offline SteveH

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?....Llandudno Hospital open day
« Reply #8186 on: November 22, 2019, 10:11:41 am »
This is a great local asset, which I think is in danger of being closed, a bit at a time, it needs our support.

RESIDENTS are being offered a 'behind-the-scenes' look around Llandudno Hospital.

An open day is being held on Saturday, November 30 between 10am and 2pm.

Attendees will be able to find out more about services available in the town and a tour will be conducted by matron Phil Rathbone.

Cont.  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18052279.go-behind-scenes-llandudno-hospital-open-day/

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8187 on: November 22, 2019, 06:32:35 pm »
Several attempts to close it have been thwarted in the past, Steve; but they keep trying.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8188 on: December 06, 2019, 09:52:57 am »
Magical Christmas Parade, Llandudno.

Saturday 7th December 2019.
Father Christmas will arrive in Llandudno by train and the Parade will leave the Station at 4pm, proceeding from the Station up Vaughan Street to Mostyn Street, and then into Lloyd Street, down Madoc Street, Augusta Street and back to the Station.
Entertainment outside the Town Hall from 2:40pm to include: Llandudno Town Band, Ysgol John Bright, Ysgol Blessed William Davies Choir, Disney Princesses and the Batala Bermo Samba Band.
Town Hall Christmas Lights Switch On by the Mayor.

Offline SteveH

Re: What's Llandudno Like.... TODAY .. ‘Winter Light – Golau Gaeaf’
« Reply #8189 on: December 14, 2019, 12:30:42 pm »
The second instalment of an inaugural winter visitor event takes place in Llandudno TODAY..........

Entitled ‘The Mermaid’s Purse’ Chapter 2 of the Conwy County Borough Council-commissioned free ‘Winter Light – Golau Gaeaf’ spectacle continues on Saturday December 14, at 5pm.     full timetable https://www.conwy.gov.uk/en/Visitor/Events/Winter-Light/winter-light.aspx

Following the magical winter procession along Mostyn Street, back in November, the unfolding story of myths and legends based on the Great Orme returns for its second chapter on Saturday December 14 at 5pm – again on Mostyn Street near North Western Gardens.

‘Winter Light – Golau Gaeaf’ is a creative collaboration between Walk the Plank and Illuminos, commissioned by Conwy County Borough Council, Venue Cymru and Conwy Arts Trust and supported by Arts Council Wales and the Welsh government.

Other events taking place to support the event include:

Storytelling at Llandudno Library from 12-1pm (16+), 2-3pm, 4-5pm
BFI Films & Talk (British Film Industry) at St John’s Church at 3-6pm

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18101979.second-instalment-colourful-winter-event-set-light-llandudno/