Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613897 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7980 on: May 15, 2018, 03:26:30 pm »
Llandudno high street on list of those 'struggling to survive' in report that has been slammed
The Retail Resilience Index was not good reading for the seaside resort - but has been attacked locally.

www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-high-street-list-those-14660672

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7981 on: May 16, 2018, 10:58:10 am »
Llandudno high street on list of those 'struggling to survive' in report that has been slammed
The Retail Resilience Index was not good reading for the seaside resort - but has been attacked locally.

www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-high-street-list-those-14660672
The Report is ridiculous - I suspect Llandudno is one of the most thriving towns, as far as levels of empty shops go.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7982 on: May 16, 2018, 11:51:30 am »
The full report is here.

It's a complicated bit of research, which uses a number of variables and I suspect their rather odd technique of placing their findings as a simple 'top 10 - bottom 10' at the outset was not only a case of oversimplification but also failed to reflect the complexity of the measures they'd used.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #7983 on: May 16, 2018, 12:40:21 pm »
The full report is here.

It's a complicated bit of research, which uses a number of variables and I suspect their rather odd technique of placing their findings as a simple 'top 10 - bottom 10' at the outset was not only a case of oversimplification but also failed to reflect the complexity of the measures they'd used.

The Report is ridiculous - I suspect Llandudno is one of the most thriving towns, as far as levels of empty shops go.

I agree with you both, for such a seemingly extensive report, to end up with ranking Llandudno so low in their rankings is ridiculous.

The Grimsey Review was mentioned in their report, I had a quick look, very interesting reading......

" I spent
my entire career professing that,
“there are never any problems only
opportunities” and that is true for our
country. Our towns and high streets
can become the driving force behind
a real economic recovery,
we just need the political will
and determination to take
meaningful action.
Bill Grimsey"

Full Review
http://www.vanishinghighstreet.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/GrimseyReview04.092.pdf

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7984 on: May 18, 2018, 09:59:23 am »
They are currently filming scenes for Hollyoaks on the prom outside the St Georges hotel:

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7985 on: May 18, 2018, 02:09:33 pm »
Anybody  Know what happened to ‘Llandudno  Motorcycle repairs ‘ Nant y Gamar Rd. appears to have closed down?
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline SteveH

« Reply #7986 on: May 20, 2018, 11:03:35 am »
Lots of activity early this morning, sirens and helicopters, various FB rumors, BBC has this.....

Llandudno angler airlifted after falling into sea.
An angler has been airlifted to hospital after falling into the sea while fishing from rocks at Llandudno's Great Orme headland.

A second person who went into the sea to help the angler was treated by paramedics for being "extremely cold".

Llandudno RNLI and HM Coastguard received the callout off Pigeons Cave, Pen Trwyn, at 07:36 BST.

RNLI volunteers took the angler to shore for the airlift before returning to rescue the second person from rocks.

Offline DVT

• Management board member

Offline SteveH

« Reply #7988 on: May 20, 2018, 11:58:06 am »
Lots of activity early this morning, sirens and helicopters, various FB rumors, BBC has this.....

Llandudno angler airlifted after falling into sea.
An angler has been airlifted to hospital after falling into the sea while fishing from rocks at Llandudno's Great Orme headland.
A second person who went into the sea to help the angler was treated by paramedics for being "extremely cold".
Llandudno RNLI and HM Coastguard received the callout off Pigeons Cave, Pen Trwyn, at 07:36 BST.
RNLI volunteers took the angler to shore for the airlift before returning to rescue the second person from rocks.

Sad news following the above....
A man has died this morning (Sunday) after falling into the sea in Llandudno.
At around 7.30am North Wales Police said they received a call reporting a man had fallen into the sea in Llandudno.

The Coastguards attended and rescued one man who was taken to hospital but who has since died.

Another man who had tried to help at the incident was also taken to hospital but isn't believed to be badly injured
REF Pioneer

Offline SteveH

« Reply #7989 on: May 27, 2018, 10:41:44 am »
Lots of sirens on this wet Sunday morning, .........from the Coastguard.

People Stuck on Great Orme
Reports from Coastguard that people are stuck on a ledge towards the bottom on the Great Orme. Two RNLI crews and coastguard staff in attendance.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #7990 on: May 27, 2018, 11:10:12 am »
Lots of sirens on this wet Sunday morning, .........from the Coastguard.

People Stuck on Great Orme
Reports from Coastguard that people are stuck on a ledge towards the bottom on the Great Orme. Two RNLI crews and coastguard staff in attendance.

Gt Orme Rescue
A man who was stranded towards the base of the Great Orme got into difficulty this morning. A coastguard rescue team, RNLI crew and Rescue 936 Coastguard helicopter were at the scene after being called at 8.43am this morning.

The man has since moved further up the Orme and is now out of danger after there were concerns for his safety due to the incoming tide.
Holyhead Coastguard say the man is now warm and safe and crews are preparing to stand down.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7991 on: June 05, 2018, 02:45:16 pm »
The promenade was packed today at midday with many going to see the classic cars on display.     I couldn't resist taking this photo and it shows two of the many classic clangers made by the CCBC.
One is obvious in the foreground  and the other has yet to be constructed

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7992 on: June 05, 2018, 03:42:24 pm »
OOPS,  missing photo now attached

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7993 on: June 21, 2018, 12:57:44 pm »
Hi, moderators take a look. Maybe racial descrimination. I don’t know. But I just state facts.
   Yesterday morning on the golf. A terrible very light mist and rain in which you got absolute soaking wet in seconds. So I sat in cafe in town and went up around midday.
   Imagine my surprise when I went through the gate. Well over 100 youngish girls and a dozen or so leaders all sat around my 2nd and 9greens, which are alongside each other. In the rain.
  I approached a leader. “What have I done to get this attention from you all.” Reply “ we from Manchester. On way to top of Orme. Just having halfway picnic.” By now it obvious to anyone they were of a particular religious faith. My reply. Well o.k. But don’t make mess on these greens. And I gave them a smile.
  After ten minutes they left off to the top. Greens looked tidy. Half hour later a local walking up home said to me there’s a pile of rubbish down the hill by your first green. I was’ent pleased. But she then said “I’ve found a bit of screwed up A4 paper all printed with Arabic words and letters. Here. You can have it.”
   So know I didn’t need it. But I knew for sure who had left it.
  But now a surprise. You would have expected them to feel a bit guilty and dodge coming back this way. Not a bit of it. About an hour later all 100 plus of them arrive to walk down. No shame. I let around fifty through the gate. Then grabbed one of the leaders. Hey you. I want a word. A strong word. What the h——s you think you doing. I not paid to shift your rubbish. You clear it up or this page (I waved the A4 letter” will be phoned and sent to one of your faith periodicals and say that’s what you do on your day trip to llandudno.
  In fairness the teacher did apologise and they did pick up most of the rubbish.
   But to anyone who lives around church walks. If you got rubbish thrown in your garden, I can guess where it came from mike

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7994 on: June 21, 2018, 05:18:58 pm »
Send for Kingdom Securities Mike,  there is no way that they would drop any litter then if they thought that it would cost them money!