Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2611998 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7755 on: August 25, 2017, 10:44:19 am »
In the article above Johnny Dough's owner is quoted as saying that he hopes the arrival of multi national chains doesn't push out the independents and I agree. Individuality is an asset to any town. However, the article also includes a link to another where he states there are plans afoot to open branches in Conwy,Bangor and Prestatyn. Wonder what they think there then? What will the shareholders of Pizza Hut think when he has driven them out of business and become a global brand!?
Good point!  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7756 on: August 25, 2017, 10:46:26 am »
I see new parking pay&display machines have been installed all along the Prom. At least CCBC have moved into the 21st century and included contactless card payment options on them.

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #7757 on: August 25, 2017, 11:54:43 am »
With reference to Dave and Fester's comments about the groups of people you are obviously referring to I think that you will find that many people in the business of accommodation will not take these people as they upset their other guests with their strange habits, appearance, time keeping and refusal to eat any offered breakfast. Only last week my OH had 2 at the door who were rude, arrogant and threatening. He refused them room only and one stuck his foot in the door and got really stroppy. Luckily they seem afraid of dogs, so I didn't stop ours barking at them.
In no way am I racist, but these particular people make no effort to be part of society, which isn't my take on life.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7758 on: August 25, 2017, 12:42:30 pm »
With reference to Dave and Fester's comments about the groups of people you are obviously referring to I think that you will find that many people in the business of accommodation will not take these people as they upset their other guests with their strange habits, appearance, time keeping and refusal to eat any offered breakfast. Only last week my OH had 2 at the door who were rude, arrogant and threatening. He refused them room only and one stuck his foot in the door and got really stroppy. Luckily they seem afraid of dogs, so I didn't stop ours barking at them.
In no way am I racist, but these particular people make no effort to be part of society, which isn't my take on life.

The Charedi, Nemesis, not a race but a sect...as Ian has explained to us previously.
Yes they are a particular issue.
But they make up about 5 or 10% of the group to which I refer.

The much bigger, but less offensive group are Asian families.  The issue here is purely cultural, they like to prepare large amounts of food and bring it along with them.  Presumably Halal.
Again, that's their preference, but doesn't generate any revenue for the town, merely waste to be cleaned up.  Traditional seaside fare is not their thing, whether it be food and drink, or novelty items.
It's like I said, it's just changing.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #7759 on: August 25, 2017, 01:21:23 pm »
Now Fester, I was very careful not to name race, sect, colour or creed, so don't go putting words into my mouth.
I will welcome anyone as a guest providing that they adhere to our particular terms.
As an aside, many people have been caught out by internet booking agencies sending guests who turn up for a double room booking ie for 2 people and find that they are followed by a load of children, who haven't been mentioned. Fire regs? They don't care about that, but should an accident happen the hotel owner would shoulder the blame. One largish hotel caught people smuggling mattresses into the lift to fit more people into a room booked for two.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7760 on: August 25, 2017, 01:52:17 pm »
Now Fester, I was very careful not to name race, sect, colour or creed, so don't go putting words into my mouth.
I will welcome anyone as a guest providing that they adhere to our particular terms.
As an aside, many people have been caught out by internet booking agencies sending guests who turn up for a double room booking ie for 2 people and find that they are followed by a load of children, who haven't been mentioned. Fire regs? They don't care about that, but should an accident happen the hotel owner would shoulder the blame. One largish hotel caught people smuggling mattresses into the lift to fit more people into a room booked for two.

So I'm wrong then? Yes?
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7761 on: August 25, 2017, 01:59:28 pm »
Nem's answered, F. I don't think anything useful will be gained by pressing her.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7762 on: August 25, 2017, 02:49:15 pm »
Nem's answered, F. I don't think anything useful will be gained by pressing her.

I didn't put words in anyone's mouth though, I'm one of the VERY few on here who calls it like it is, hopefully without transgressing too many boundaries.  I used my own words, under my name.
I think that's what the world is missing these days, sadly.
Fester...

Offline Dave

« Reply #7763 on: August 25, 2017, 03:53:56 pm »
Interesting facts here on Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haredi_Judaism#Lifestyle_and_family

There is a bit specifically about the UK near the bottom. With an official average of 5.9 children per family it would certainly put some strain on space in single room accommodation.
Interesting comment about dogs too because the other day we were walking a friend's dog around the Orme and came across a family group going the opposite direction. As you should in the circumstances we stepped in to the road to pass and the children all backed up against the wall with a look of total fear as the large but totally friendly Golden Retriever plodded past paying them scant attention. I wondered why at the time but I guess with all those kids there is no place for pets in the household as well.

Offline Dave

« Reply #7765 on: August 25, 2017, 05:37:22 pm »
Interesting reading and explains a lot...it was the reason I looked at Wikipedia so thanks for the link Hugo.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #7766 on: August 25, 2017, 06:39:56 pm »
A very interesting article by Wikipedia, I knew some of it having read up on the subject a few years back, but that told me an awful lot more. Another interesting thing is looking at what all the fancy outfits are called and how much they cost !

Offline TELL

« Reply #7767 on: August 27, 2017, 04:06:50 pm »
A warm Bank Holiday Sunday in Llandudno, the town is packed. The prom and sandy beach is full of happy families, with some of the braver ones actually in the briny. The donkeys are plodding along doing their best to eat all the seaweed, the lifeboat is sadly saying goodbye.

Are all our local entrepreneurs making the most of the last big opportunity of the summer season? I think that they are.

Just a pity that our wonderful council hadn't cut the grass, got the toilets in Western Gardens finished, arranged for the overflowing rubbish bins to be emptied, and where are the beach attendants? August Bank Holiday, no beach attendants, and all the deckchairs locked up, very sad.

Still, never mind our inept council, we are sadly used to them. It's a great weekend for our lovely town!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7768 on: August 28, 2017, 09:19:37 pm »
This card is on sale in aid of a charity .
Spooky eh?  It seems that they can see into the future!
Fester...

Offline mull

« Reply #7769 on: August 29, 2017, 12:26:52 am »
That is some find Fester.
Someone taking the P... surely.