Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612280 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #8535 on: August 27, 2021, 11:39:37 pm »
I’m interested in BlongB’s opinion now.
It feels awfully like a rock and a hard place to me.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #8536 on: August 28, 2021, 09:46:17 am »
Llandudno ferris wheel: Height, prices, opening times and everything else you need to know
The ride on Llandudno pier has already become quite the talking point

The ride stands at 69ft (21 metres) high.

HOW MANY PEOPLE CAN IT HOLD?
The ferris wheel is made up of 18 fiberglass gondolas which are capable of seating up to 108 people, with six passengers to a gondola.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO RIDE?
£4 a go - per person and payment can be made by cash or card - no booking required, just turn up and join the queue.

HOW LONG DOES A RIDE LAST?
Times vary but a normal ride would be expected to last around 4-5 minutes and the wheel can make 4 full rotations at that time.

OPENING TIMES
From midday onwards with the wheel expected to close around 9.30pm when the pier shuts.

WHEN IS IT ON UNTIL?
End of November 2021. The big wheel will then go on a tour of different events - such as Christmas fairs - across the UK and will return to Llandudno for Easter ready for the season to begin.

Its owners have said by doing this the wheel will also help promote Llandudno to a wider UK audience.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-ferris-wheel-height-prices-21416211?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline Dave

« Reply #8537 on: August 28, 2021, 01:56:58 pm »
The wheel - why does it have to have constantly changing swirling patterned lights? Why can't it just be a fixed multicolour? A friend of mines kids love the pier but one has epilepsy so flashing changing lights like that will now make that end of the prom a no go nevermind the pier itself. They can't be the only kids triggered like that... Is it worth writing to the council to try and get it changed to non flashing stationary lights? I have vertigo/dizzyness/migraines and don't fancy seeing it in my eyeline either! I'm all for Ferris wheels, just don't see why they have to give lightshow seizures!

Couldn't agree more, twinkling lights instead of flashing ones and it has my 100% support. Must be sheer hell being nearby and if anything will drive many people away rather than attract them to the pier. Dinner with a sea view nearby must be ruined for many folk.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8538 on: August 28, 2021, 02:07:18 pm »
The wheel - why does it have to have constantly changing swirling patterned lights? Why can't it just be a fixed multicolour? A friend of mines kids love the pier but one has epilepsy so flashing changing lights like that will now make that end of the prom a no go nevermind the pier itself. They can't be the only kids triggered like that... Is it worth writing to the council to try and get it changed to non flashing stationary lights? I have vertigo/dizzyness/migraines and don't fancy seeing it in my eyeline either! I'm all for Ferris wheels, just don't see why they have to give lightshow seizures!

Couldn't agree more, twinkling lights instead of flashing ones and it has my 100% support. Must be sheer hell being nearby and if anything will drive many people away rather than attract them to the pier. Dinner with a sea view nearby must be ruined for many folk.

I agree with both sets of comments, I can get headaches from broken light tubes flickering, let alone this OTT display.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #8539 on: August 28, 2021, 03:38:19 pm »
Hugo, I had a look at the DP report.  Surely it didn't take NWP nearly two hours to call the ambulance service ?  Perhaps I have misread or just a DP error.

I didn't see anything that mentioned that it took two hours to call the Ambulance Service, apparently the Police and Ambulance were called shortly before 7.30 pm.     The Ambulance Service then sent a rapid response vehicle there together with an Ambulance but I've no idea when the vehicles arrived.
At 9.15 PM  a truck towed away the car involved in the accident.
Thankfully the occupiers of the house avoided serious injury but I bet they will dread something like that happening again

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8540 on: August 29, 2021, 09:54:45 am »
This I appreciate is just one comment but.......... recent comment regarding the wheel, from a lady in Liverpool, who wrote, "my friends and I visit Llandudno 4/5 times a year, we enjoy the town and the atmosphere, and feeling very safe there, however after reading about the wheel, we think it could drew the wrong people to the area, and we will not be returning,"

'Ghost town' warning after homeless people placed in Llandudno holiday accommodation
Tourist bosses and local MS voice concerns over the move but council defended its position as it works to keep people off the streets

The resort has a Holiday Accommodation Zone which usually prevents hotels, guest houses and B&Bs being changed from tourism use.

But Welsh Government introduced emergency planning legislation at the height of the pandemic so homeless people could be housed in holiday accommodation.

That remains in place and the Llandudno Hospitality Association has criticised Conwy council for recently putting homeless people in a property in the town that had been a guest house.

They warn that this could start a decline in holiday accommodation and lead to the economic and social problems seen in other holiday resorts like Rhyl and Colwyn Bay in recent decades.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/ghost-town-warning-after-homeless-21414688?IYA-reg=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4#comments-wrapper

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8541 on: August 30, 2021, 09:57:53 am »
Llandudno was featured on the BBC news this morning and the reporter was on the beach with the pier in the background.    It's the first time that I have seen the big wheel and it is exactly that, it's big!
Blongb you're going to have to put blackout blinds on your property if you don't want to see that thing  all evening.
I wonder what Waldron thinks of the big wheel?

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #8542 on: August 30, 2021, 12:56:48 pm »
Llandudno was featured on the BBC news this morning and the reporter was on the beach with the pier in the background.    It's the first time that I have seen the big wheel and it is exactly that, it's big!
Blongb you're going to have to put blackout blinds on your property if you don't want to see that thing  all evening.
I wonder what Waldron thinks of the big wheel?

I actually like the Wheel with it's coloured lights Hugo, which are switched off at 10:00 pm and think it is a great attraction for the town. It's already generating a much needed income stream for the pier but at £970,000 will take a long time to earn a profit. As for Waldron and his corrupt backers, the more spanners in their works the better.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8543 on: August 30, 2021, 02:15:30 pm »
Good to hear it's not a problem for you, Blongb 

Offline SteveH

Re: What's Llandudno like........GoldWing Light Parade
« Reply #8544 on: August 31, 2021, 02:26:04 pm »
Some competition for the Wheel..........                                                               ref pioneer

MORE than one hundred bikes and trikes will descend on Llandudno promenade for the return of an annual show.

GoldWing Light Parade, which usually attracts thousands of people to the town, takes place for the ninth time to celebrate the Honda Gold Wing touring motorcycle on Saturday, September 4.

The two- and three-wheeled vehicles will be parked and exhibited from 10am with mayor of Llandudno Cllr Harry Saville and president of Llandudno Lions Norman Mylchreest judging the best bike and trike bikes categories at 2pm.

Road closures will be in place from Carton roundabout to Broadway roundabout, including Mostyn Street and the promenade, from 7.30pm before the parade begins at Llandudno Lifeboat Station at 8pm. Riders will complete two circuits of the town before returning to the promenade.

Bikes will then be judged again by Cllr Saville and Mr Mylchreest in the best lights on parade category.

The annual event has raised thousands of pounds for Wales Air Ambulance, Llandudno RNLI, North Wales Blood Bikes and the Lions Charities, which are also expected to be in attendance. There will be collection buckets and charity raffle tickets will be available at the Evans Hotel.

Attendees will be reminded to maintain a safe distance according to coronavirus rules while bikes will be cleansed during the exhibition.

Offline DVT

« Reply #8545 on: August 31, 2021, 08:02:16 pm »
Three Castles Classic Trial also in town from tomorrow until Saturday - finishing on the Prom on Saturday afternoon.  About 100 classic cars which will start from the Prom each morning (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) and cover routes around north Wales.

Llandudno is going to be bsuy!

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8546 on: September 01, 2021, 02:38:45 pm »
Three Castles Classic Trial also in town from tomorrow until Saturday - finishing on the Prom on Saturday afternoon.  About 100 classic cars which will start from the Prom each morning (Thursday, Friday and Saturday) and cover routes around north Wales.
Llandudno is going to be busy!
Courtesy of John Hulme Snr FB photos

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8547 on: September 02, 2021, 10:14:53 am »
Llandudno Honda Gold Wing parade: Date, time, full route and everything else you need to know
More than 150 spectacular bikes will be parading through the town as part of the special event

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-honda-goldwing-parade-date-21424580?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8548 on: September 05, 2021, 10:27:33 am »
This article strengthens the case for dedicated camper-van sites in the area, and considering the lack of parking in general, not an easy task,......and the annoying examples, of drivers parking, leaving 8/10 feet between cars, without consideration for those coming later.......

A study Nationwide Vehicle Contracts has revealed the top 50 most popular viewpoints for van enthusiasts across the UK and the world's top 20.

Snowdonia ranks second on the UK list with a #vanlife rating of 96%, only behind Mourne Mountains in Northern Ireland. Anglesey is at 34th and the Great Orme 39th.

This comes as there has been a boom in motorhome visits to the park since the lifting of lockdown - which has brought benefits and costs, with complaints over illegal parking and waste being dumped.

Conwy and Gwynedd councils are both exploring ways of managing the surge in visits.

A spokesman for Nationwide Vehicle Contracts said: "The hashtag #Vanlife has seen a staggering +1575% growth in interest online since 2015, and in the UK there has been a 57% year on year rise in people purchasing commercial vehicles for personal use.

"With the world starting to open up again post-pandemic, the alternative lifestyle of committing to a home on wheels is expected to become even more popular.

"With a 4.9 star rating on Google, over 939,122 hashtags on Instagram, and a petrol price of 132p Snowdonia scored a respectable viewpoint score of 96.00 out of 100.

"Snowdonia's also featured in the worldwide rankings, coming 19th out of all the global viewpoints studied."

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8549 on: September 07, 2021, 02:31:55 pm »
Ferris wheel can further Llandudno's status as Queen resort

BUSINESSES have shared their optimism following the opening of a Ferris wheel on Llandudno Pier.

The 69-foot wheel, which has been custom-made for the promenade to the tune of almost £1million, has attracted thousands of people since its opening at the end of August.

Pier owner Adam Williams said he hopes the attraction, which can carry 108 people - 18 gondolas with six people each - will improve the nightlife of the pier and increase footfall along the promenade.

Tourism in Llandudno has boomed over the summer following the lifting of travel restrictions, and hotel and restaurant owners said they believe the Ferris wheel provides another family activity that could continue to attract people over the coming years.

Brian Simpson, owner of The View, said: “Bringing this to Llandudno is a great development; the area is busier later than it was but it shuts at 10pm, so there are not just drunkards or idiots around as there normally would be.

“The kids have been so excited you couldn’t believe.

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19563859.ferris-wheel-can-llandudnos-status-queen-resort/