Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2616499 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #8520 on: August 24, 2021, 09:40:43 am »
Motorhome stop-over site could be built by North Wales council in county hit by illegal stays
Conwy council is looking to secure UK Government funding towards a site for campervans

This has led to Conwy council taking action by adding parking restrictions on Gloddaeth Avenue in Llandudno and the local authority has also been asked to look into rule breaches at other beauty spots.

But the authority is looking at a carrot and stick approach with a move to develop its own stop-over site to relieve some of the pressure.

In other European countries such as France, a network of designated overnight parking areas for use by fully self-contained motorhomes ('Aire' facility or similar) has been established.

cont https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/motorhome-stop-over-site-could-21384568?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4

Comment
"Works in Most European countries. The vast majority of campervan and Motorhome owners respect the environment, respect the land and bring revenue. Those that break the law should be punished locals and tourists alike."

Offline Dave

« Reply #8521 on: August 25, 2021, 12:31:06 pm »

Offline Dave

« Reply #8522 on: August 25, 2021, 12:32:12 pm »
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-pier-gets-permanent-giant-21394179?fbclid=IwAR370LAN8N-GBIr-g6HspCsQh3VCDB1HqhSvejxFhHfYH-VepOztErBZsfQ#source=breaking-news

I think those opposed to the pier development might prefer looking at that than an illuminated giant Ferris wheel?

On the other hand who will buy an apartment overlooking a giant Ferris wheel!!

I am presuming it will be built by those amusement arcades and not at the very end of the pier.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8523 on: August 25, 2021, 12:56:32 pm »
It does look like it is being sited right in front of the upright ironwork, I also noticed from the photo, it is on it's own trailer and could be moved, unlike the DP's comment "permanent".

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #8524 on: August 26, 2021, 08:50:01 am »
By the time those apartments get built with all the arguing and red tape going on the wheel will probably have rusted away. ! $hands$
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8525 on: August 26, 2021, 09:33:49 am »
Llandudno Pier's new ferris wheel taking shape as excitement builds ahead of bank holiday

It will stand 69ft (21 metres) high and be located next to the amusement arcades. It could also be open as early as Friday, in time for the bank holiday weekend.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-piers-new-ferris-wheel-21402920?IYA-mail=a05105fc-304d-4c50-9807-edab51f779a4#comments-wrapper

Offline Dave

« Reply #8526 on: August 26, 2021, 01:40:45 pm »
Do you need planning consent to site a Ferris wheel? I'm surprised that this was a fait accompli by the owner with no prior warning.He certainly got the publicity he wanted anyway!

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #8527 on: August 26, 2021, 03:55:31 pm »
Do you need planning consent to site a Ferris wheel? I'm surprised that this was a fait accompli by the owner with no prior warning.He certainly got the publicity he wanted anyway!

As it's a moveable object, on Private, Freehold Land, Planning Permission, is not required, i.e. the Lighthouse Fish and Chip shop. As it is right in front of my Lounge window, I will reserve judgement until after it starts to operate this weekend, but if it in any way interferes with Waldron's plans for the Pavilion Site, then bring it on, the more the merrier.  {}{}
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Dave

« Reply #8528 on: August 26, 2021, 09:59:16 pm »
From Craig-y-Don it looks really good and adds a little excitement for those on a holiday visit...closer it might be a bit OTT with those flashing lights!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8529 on: August 27, 2021, 08:47:24 am »

As it's a moveable object, on Private, Freehold Land, Planning Permission, is not required, i.e. the Lighthouse Fish and Chip shop. As it is right in front of my Lounge window, I will reserve judgement until after it starts to operate this weekend, but if it in any way interferes with Waldron's plans for the Pavilion Site, then bring it on, the more the merrier.  {}{}
Who knows, if the Pavilion project falls through, you might end up with a full sized funfair on the site for you to enjoy every Summer.  $drink$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8530 on: August 27, 2021, 09:19:04 am »
Recap: Police and ambulance called after car ploughs through wall and into house
The car has veered off the road on a roundabout in Llandudno

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/live-police-ambulance-called-after-21413166

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8531 on: August 27, 2021, 10:09:10 am »
From Craig-y-Don it looks really good and adds a little excitement for those on a holiday visit...closer it might be a bit OTT with those flashing lights!

It is a lot brighter than I was expecting, I was hoping Blongb had good blackout curtains, you mentioned good advertising before, the story was published in the Liverpool Echo last night, and Llandudno Hub was talking to people up from Stoke, to watch it being built, and hopefully have a go............. it was operating last night for friends and family, according to FB  photo from FB

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8532 on: August 27, 2021, 02:15:49 pm »
There was one comment, from someone who was on the ride last night, which makes sense to me, "the lights were so bright and flashing, we could see nothing of our surroundings",

The strange superstition that meant Llandudno's giant ferris wheel couldn't open on Friday
And the first punter only had to pay £1 to ride the new attraction on Llandudno pier  (normally£3)

Crowds looked-on in awe last night as a huge ferris wheel lit up the sky above North Wales for the first time.

cont/video  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudno-ferris-wheel-superstition-friday-21413970

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #8533 on: August 27, 2021, 05:02:50 pm »
Hugo, I had a look at the DP report.  Surely it didn't take NWP nearly two hours to call the ambulance service ?  Perhaps I have misread or just a DP error.

Offline pebbles

« Reply #8534 on: August 27, 2021, 11:16:19 pm »
The wheel - why does it have to have constantly changing swirling patterned lights? Why can't it just be a fixed multicolour? A friend of mines kids love the pier but one has epilepsy so flashing changing lights like that will now make that end of the prom a no go nevermind the pier itself. They can't be the only kids triggered like that... Is it worth writing to the council to try and get it changed to non flashing stationary lights? I have vertigo/dizzyness/migraines and don't fancy seeing it in my eyeline either! I'm all for Ferris wheels, just don't see why they have to give lightshow seizures!