Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613042 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #8415 on: April 12, 2021, 01:56:00 pm »
Thanks very much for your kind offer Nemesis, it's really appreciated.    At the moment though I'll see how he gets on with the Yak chews and other treats we have for him as he's hyper enough as it is and I wouldn't like him to get any worse if we alter his diet a bit.
Today I'm putting up a higher fence as he can get over the one in the photo and hope that my effort works.
Hugo, You are reminding me of the 70's I treated myself to two Irish Setters, beautiful dogs, but not the easiest  to train, I got a call from my neighbouring farm, telling me to collect my dogs (puppies), who were having fun chasing his chickens  :-[  I spent a day repairing and blocking any gaps, they got out again, so I bought 4ft mesh fencing, and spent a very cold and wet weekend erecting it, only to have them take one look and jump over it, while I stood watching them  so anyway .....one fence contractor with 6ft chain link and cemented posts later and minus £600 (in the 70s  :( ouch) all was well.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #8416 on: April 12, 2021, 04:16:20 pm »
Wow Steve and I thought that I had it bad!        £600 was a lot of money in those days, I was offered a cottage in 1970 for just a bit more than that, but that's another story
Perhaps these photos taken yesterday may remind you of those times

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8417 on: April 12, 2021, 04:33:18 pm »
Hugo, It was a large area, and as we were close to the A5, very necessary, your photo's today, are a different dog story, when we moved in there, our German Shepherd, raised alarm bells, by the way it was looking at the sheep, so after some enquirers, I found  a retired police dog trainer in the valley, who had him for a week, no further problems, who said having pets, was all fun and games  ;)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8418 on: April 12, 2021, 04:55:21 pm »
You did the right thing getting in a dog handler because of the consequences that could happen with livestock.   We are getting a dog handler in on Friday so we should see some improvement with our dog afterwards
Years ago we knew a Police Dog handler in the local area  who also had kennels but never had to use him to train our other dogs as they were very placid

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #8419 on: April 12, 2021, 06:09:17 pm »
Good luck with that Hugo.....hope it works !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8420 on: April 18, 2021, 03:09:21 pm »
The dog handler  is now coming on Thursday instead due to unforeseen circumstances.     It can't come quick enough and I've spend the morning putting more fences up!        &shake&

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8421 on: April 18, 2021, 03:10:09 pm »
North Wales town forecast to be UK's second most 'over-crowded' place this summer
Analysis of Google searches has highlighted the tourism destinations that have been receiving the most interest from staycationers

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-town-forecast-uks-20411787

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8422 on: April 18, 2021, 03:14:26 pm »
Bucket of sand from North Wales beach for sale on eBay in Germany - and this is the asking price
Bidding starts from €9.99 or the sand can be bought for €16.79
The reason this sand is priced so high is because of its rarity.   It's from the North Shore beach      ;D

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/bucket-sand-north-wales-beach-20402021

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8423 on: April 21, 2021, 09:59:37 am »
Residents say new North Wales housing scheme could change a traffic 'nightmare' into 'mayhem'
It comes as 49 properties have been proposed by Anwyl Homes

A resident living near a proposed housing scheme on Bodafon Fields in Llandudno said it could change a traffic "nightmare" to "mayhem" in its current form.

Locals were informed about the scheme being proposed by Anwyl Homes off Nant y Gamar Road in the town's Craig y Don area this month.

It would comprise 49 properties ranging from one to five beds and 35% are to be affordable homes, in line with planning guidance.

The site stands next to Ysgol y Gogarth school which will have 255 pupils from September and already produces a lot of traffic said resident Ruby Williams, who lives on Nant y Gamar Road - and also on the same road as Bodafon Farm Park.

The location has been the subject of protests against housing in the past but a public inquiry ruled it can be used for new homes and is classified as a "housing contingency site" in the current Local Development Plan (LDP).

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/residents-say-new-north-wales-20430407

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8424 on: April 22, 2021, 01:29:39 pm »
That's an interesting partnership of Batman and Robin B.        Perhaps CCBC  can have a word with Anwyl Construction ( aka Batman ) and just remind them that they also have a building site at Penmorfa that has been waiting about 14 years for work to commence on the site

Robin B  ( aka  Mostyn Estates )  have been after planning applications on the farm many times in the past and if this application is passed then be prepared for further applications on the remaining farmland.    Mostyn Estates have no interest in retaining the farmland and just want their greedy mitts on the cash that they will gain from the sale of the land

Offline Helig

« Reply #8425 on: April 22, 2021, 02:20:09 pm »
I am sorry to hear that they are building on Bodafon Fields. This was such a lovely green area that gave some rural appearance to Llandudno which has seen so much development. I hope the town doesn't finish up being wall to wall concrete. The property speculators will be rubbing their hands with glee. According to the paper, Llandudno is a property hotspot.

Helig

Offline Robbie G

« Reply #8426 on: April 22, 2021, 04:57:56 pm »
One suspects wall to wall brown envelopes I would thing

Offline SteveH

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?...Fire crews prevent 'disaster'
« Reply #8427 on: April 27, 2021, 04:14:04 pm »
Fire crews prevent 'disaster' as blaze hits businesses and people forced to flee homes
Businesses and homes were impacted and a HSBC branch will now be closed 'for the foreseeable future'

Businesses have been left counting the cost of damage caused by a huge overnight fire which forced people to flee their homes.

Emergency services were scrambled to a courtyard behind shops on the junction of Lloyd Street and Mostyn Street in Llandudno in the early hours of Tuesday as a fire took hold.

The blaze caused significant damage to a gas pipe, electricity supply and air conditioning units as it took hold in the shared courtyard behind the Ham Bone deli, HSBC and Kitchen 50 Six.

HSBC has now said that their branch had suffered "significant damage" in the fire, and would remain closed for the foreseeable future.

As the fire took hold, people living in properties above the fire were evacuated from their homes as firefighters worked to bring the blaze under control.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/fire-crews-prevent-disaster-blaze-20475402

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8428 on: April 28, 2021, 09:44:24 am »
Llandudno's indie shop boom sparks retail revival as economy emerges from lockdown
New openings and expansions in the town centre shows the faith in the future of Llandudno as a shopping and leisure destination

In the Victoria centre .....Gear Menswear, Little Lily & Co baby and kids clothing, gift and accessories shop Murshi, Meanwhile Devon based family surfwear brand Saltrock  is fitting out the former H Samuel unit and is due to open this week with Prom Ally having moved from there to a permanent home on Madoc Street.

cont  https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/llandudnos-indie-shop-boom-sparks-20479995?IYA-reg=49560bcd-5a9c-47f0-8fc5-ba2e71710589

Offline SteveH

Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?.......HSBC pop up bank
« Reply #8429 on: April 29, 2021, 12:30:22 pm »
A BANK has set up a pop-up branch at Llandudno Town Hall after a fire forced it to close "for the foreseeable future".

HSBC said it has arranged with Llandudno Town Council to work from the hall while repairs are carried out at its Mostyn Street branch following a blaze that caused "significant damage" in the early hours of Tuesday, April 27.

The pop-up branch, which opened on Thursday, April 29, will provide limited in-store services but customers will not be able to withdraw cash. In the meantime, customers are being advised to carry out cash withdrawals at the Post Office on Mostyn Street or at the HSBC branch in Colwyn Bay.

Dyfrig Roberts, HSBC local director, said the pop-up store will be kept under review and will be assessed according to customer demand.

He said: “We are extremely grateful to the emergency services for the rapid action they took yesterday morning which undoubtedly stopped the damage to our and surrounding properties being much worse. That said, the damage that has been sustained to our branch is significant, and we will not be able to open the branch until repairs can be completed. This is being arranged as a matter of urgency, although the work itself may take some weeks to complete.

"We know that access to cash is important, so arrangements are in place for HSBC UK customers to be able to carry out day-to-day banking transactions at the Post Office on Mostyn Street, which is a one minute walk away. In addition to this, customers can use mobile or internet banking, telephone banking. If a customer does need to visit a branch, Colwyn Bay is around six miles away and open from 10am to 2pm.

"We appreciate that some of our customers may want and need to discuss certain matters with us face-to-face and we feel it is important for us to continue to be present in Llandudno to help our customers at this time. We have worked quickly with Cyngor Tref Llandudno Town Council to find a solution."

cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/19267190.hsbc-sets-pop-up-branch-llandudno-town-hall-high-street-fire/