Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612008 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #8265 on: June 15, 2020, 01:24:13 pm »
ABOUT 60 people are being made redundant from a Llandudno research centre.

Due to the pressures of the Covid-19 pandemic, global Geoscience firm CGG Robertson has begun the consultation process for axing jobs at its facility in Llanrhos.

According to representatives from Unite - the UK’s largest trade union - jobs affected include highly skilled scientists and technicians.
The job losses have been described as a ‘devastating blow’ for workers and the area.

Daryl Williams, Unite Regional Officer, said: “This news is a devastating blow for North West Wales which is already suffering badly from the collapse in the leisure and tourism sector as a result of the Covid-19 epidemic.”

The oil and gas consultancy company are citing the fall in global oil prices as an underlying cause behind their decision.

Cont  https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18517460.unite-urges-cgg-robertson-halt-llanrhos-covid-19-redundancies/

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8266 on: June 16, 2020, 10:02:21 am »
A TOWN’s bloom efforts have been put on hold due to Covid-19.

Due to ongoing concerns associated with the virus and continued social distancing requirements, Llandudno Town Council has found it necessary to cancel this year’s Llandudno Bloom competition.
https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18519720.we-will-bloom-again-promises-llandudno-town-council-contest-cancelled/

AROUND 2,500 workers are set to lose their jobs at builders' merchant Travis Perkins.

The company - which has stores in Wrexham, Mold, Deeside, Rhyl, Llandudno and Caernarfon - said the decision comes as it expects the recession to hit the trade for at least two years.
https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/18518934.around-2-500-workers-set-lose-jobs-builders-merchant-travis-perkins/?ref=rss

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8267 on: June 20, 2020, 09:59:26 am »
LLANDUDNO'S war memorial is to undergo maintenance.

Barriers will be in place around the memorial on the promenade while work is carried out. The work will start on June 22 and will last about 10 to 14 days.

Cllr Angela O’Grady, Llandudno mayor, said: "The War Memorial was created 98 years ago and, has fared extremely well during that time in all weather conditions. But having had the current condition of the monument assessed, it was clear that essential maintenance was required urgently.

"It is good to know that the work planned will ensure the War Memorial will stand for at least another 100 years so we can all continue to remember the fallen together”.

The work involves carefully removing the bronze name plates and cleaning the reverse of the plaques and wall area, removing existing fixings and replacing with new fixings and re-bonding the plaques back in place.

The War Memorial was designed by architect Sidney Colwyn Foulkes, who was based in Colwyn Bay and designed many of the area’s finest buildings of the early 20th century.                                             ref Pioneer

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #8268 on: June 20, 2020, 10:48:03 pm »
At the going down of the Sun and in the Morning, we will remember them. $uk
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8269 on: June 26, 2020, 10:44:02 am »
Setting up a Light Show on the Prom. Strange thing to do during lockdown

Photos from FB

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8270 on: June 26, 2020, 03:28:41 pm »
update on above............

LLANDUDNO Promenade was lit up in the colours of the rainbow last night in support of the nation's key workers.

As with many other locations across Wales and the UK as a whole, the buildings along the promenade were lit up to show appreciation to the key workers, such as NHS staff, who have been on the frontline throughout the coronavirus pandemic.

The rainbow has become a symbol of hope since the pandemic hit the UK in March and several notable locations throughout North Wales have been lit up in its colours.

If you missed it last night, then there will be another opportunity to witness it tonight.        ref Pioneer

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8271 on: July 04, 2020, 11:23:35 am »
Curator and a community education learning office appointed ahead of opening of £1.7m re-developed Llandudno Museum and Gallery

The £1.7m re-development of a Llandudno Museum and Gallery, which will help the heritage attraction tell the story of the resort’s history in a more vibrant way, improve disabled access and provide enhanced educational facilities, is progressing well.

https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/18559082.curator-community-education-learning-office-appointed-ahead-opening-1-7m-re-developed-llandudno-museum-gallery/

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8272 on: July 08, 2020, 09:05:19 am »
I had a walk on the Promenade about two weeks ago and went past the slipway by the Yachting club.     Has anything been done to the slipway as every time I went past it a few years ago it was covered in pebbles?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8273 on: July 08, 2020, 10:45:20 pm »
Nice to see the Goats taking a pride in their appearance and keeping their social distance from each other

https://www.northwaleschronicle.co.uk/news/18568983.llandudnos-cheeky-wild-goats-first-line-trim-hairdressers-open/

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #8274 on: July 09, 2020, 08:30:37 am »
I had a walk on the Promenade about two weeks ago and went past the slipway by the Yachting club.     Has anything been done to the slipway as every time I went past it a few years ago it was covered in pebbles?

Hugo, looking at your photograph it looks as if the height of the shingle either side of the new slipway is much lower than it once was.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8275 on: July 09, 2020, 10:02:15 am »
I agree. I wonder if we're not seeing a kinetic effect. here. Under the action of the tides, gravity and weather, the pebbles will start to act a little like gravel, which can exhibit liquid-like behaviour. Thus, over time, the pebbles will shift and move to find their own level.

In a sense, piling the pebbles on a slope and expecting them to stay like that was optimistic, to say the least.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8276 on: July 09, 2020, 10:27:34 am »
Thanks Bri & Ian.        When I went past the slipway I knew there was something different to the last time I went past.      I hadn't noticed the steps on both sides of the slipway before and that's possibly because the pebbles were up to the top and in parts over the slipway.
I did notice that the levels of pebbles on both sides of the slipway were equal so that confused me too

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #8277 on: July 09, 2020, 02:51:13 pm »
It's way past time that the quarry waist stone junk was removed from the Beach entirely. So much for the Coastal Forum.  $angry$ All talk and nothing gets done.  $angry$   $angry$
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8278 on: July 12, 2020, 02:48:35 pm »
'I've never seen the prom look so bad' - Litter covers Llandudno seafront after easing of lockdown ref DP
Questions are being asked about whether Conwy council was properly prepared.

The promenade in a North Wales seaside resort was left strewn with "disgraceful" litter after visitors made the most of the relaxation of lockdown to visit the town.

As bins overflowed in Llandudno on Saturday evening, questions were asked about whether Conwy council was properly prepared for the return of visitors, while others called on tourists to "respect" the town.

The overflowing bins attracted seagulls looking for food waste left by visitors who'd returned to the town as lockdown restrictions are eased.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/ive-never-seen-prom-look-18583938

Richard Williams, 31, took it upon himself to clean up the mess along with another man.

"I was just riding along the promenade last night, and then I saw that the bins were overflowing and that the seagulls were making the situation a lot worse," said Mr Williams, who works in traffic management.

"I then realised every single bin was the same, and to be frank I've never seen the prom look so bad."
Mr Williams got speaking to another man and they decided to get bin bags to clear the rubbish.
"The rubbish was all over the place. We filled eight bin bags but it wasn't really our job to do.

"It's the council's job. Why hadn't a wagon come to empty all the bins? They knew the visitors were coming. I think it's very poor."
"I’m glad the tourists are back. The town needs the income but I wish they’d respect our town. Thank you lads. Whoever you are."

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8279 on: July 18, 2020, 10:48:47 am »
Noticed a lot of activity last night, on the Orme..........social media saying Concerns for veteran
Reports suggest that missing Steven Bruckshaw is a veteran, missing in the Llandudno area.

Great news!
North Wales Police #KeepWalesSafe

@NWPolice
Steven Bruckshaw has been found safe and well. Thank you for your assistance.