Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2614093 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #8130 on: July 20, 2019, 10:54:44 am »
The reason for the Air Ambulance landing in town yesterday...........

Air ambulance called after man falls down stairs at Llandudno Wetherspoon pub
The man was unconscious for around 10 minutes after falling and suffering head injuries.
The Welsh Ambulance Service dispatched two ambulances, as well as the Wales Air Ambulance , which landed in the center of town.
The man was taken to Ysbyty Glan Clwyd in Bodelwyddan following the incident.    ref DP

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8131 on: July 23, 2019, 09:42:44 am »
Some chat about the Llandudno based, London tour bus, stopping operations, and being put up for sale on Ebay , rumor says trouble with the council, imposing a timetable ? it was well liked on Tripadvisor, be a shame if it goes.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8132 on: July 23, 2019, 12:02:05 pm »

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8133 on: July 23, 2019, 01:02:14 pm »
Thank's for that , shame that it's true, with a lot of luck it might stay locally.   &shake&

Offline Blongb

• Management board member
  • I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #8134 on: July 23, 2019, 08:01:29 pm »
£48,000 is a lot of money to ask even if it is a good runner, still I wish him luck selling it. I'm not surprised he's moving on. Once he was prevented from going through the top Arch in Conwy he was on a hiding to nowhere. Using Rhos as an alternative was never going to work, not with the No. 12 bus at every 12 minutes for a lot less money.  &shake&
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8135 on: July 23, 2019, 10:05:25 pm »
Another one bullied by this council.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8136 on: July 24, 2019, 11:12:24 am »
The value of Routemaster buses went ridiculously high but they are now on the way down again. Sadly many are sold abroad for conversion into bars and the like.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8137 on: July 25, 2019, 10:34:21 am »
I am assuming the Pioneer have mistaken the date, and it is this Sunday........

LLANDUDNO’s Civic Sunday will start with the traditional parade from the town hall to the War Memorial.

The parade will first assemble outside the town hall at 10am on Sunday   XXXJuly 26,XXX  with the Mayor, cllr Angela O’Grady, members of the town council and guests.

At the War Memorial, the Last Post will be sounded, followed by a pause of respect then Reveille. The Mayor will lay a wreath.

The parade will then march to Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church for the Civic Service.
Following the service the parade will continue back to the town hall for the salute.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8138 on: July 29, 2019, 11:00:06 am »
LLAWN festival returns for sixth year to Llandudno with new curator Megan Broadmeadow.

BICYCLE ballet, the antidote to social media and an ancient Indian artform are just a few of the incredible instillations earmarked for this year’s LLAWN festival.

The fantastic, award-winning Llandudno Arts Weekend festival returns to the town for its sixth year for another smorgasbord of free art installations from Friday, September 13 to Sunday 15.
More..... https://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/17800976.llawn-festival-returns-sixth-year-llandudno-new-curator-megan-broadmeadow/

Offline TELL

« Reply #8139 on: July 29, 2019, 07:15:31 pm »
I have been working abroad for the last year and so it was great to be back to stay in Llandudno. I took my first walk along the prom on Saturday, it was great to see the crowds full of lots of happy faces. Sad to see that the council still have the same mindset. No beach attendants on duty, and all the deckchairs hidden away. Never mind, the town is looking good!

Offline Dave

« Reply #8140 on: July 30, 2019, 05:02:55 pm »
Sad to see that the council still have the same mindset. No beach attendants on duty, and all the deckchairs hidden away. Never mind, the town is looking good!

Before reading your comment and by coincidence I was walking past the said deck chairs today and the same thought crossed my mind that this is possibly the worst example of a council run tourist enterprise. I doubt rentals hit double figures for a single day right through the season.
If anyone can think of a better example let's hear it!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8141 on: July 31, 2019, 12:05:17 pm »
LLANDUDNO residents can see plans for protecting the North and West Shores from flooding.

Llandudno Coastal Forum, working with Conwy County Borough Council and consultants, has organised a public drop in session at the Victoria Centre in Llandudno on Friday July 26 and Saturday July 27, between 10am and 4pm, for residents and visitors to view shortlisted options for managing Llandudno’s beaches.

Conwy council officers, consultants and members of the Llandudno Coastal Forum will be available to answer questions about the options for protecting the coastal defences. Residents can also find out where the funding will come from, and what happens next.

Unfortunately I was unable to go to the drop in session so I don't know anything about the project.     Has anyone heard any feedback about the proposals, in particular about the quarry waste presently on the North Shore and whether anything will ever be done about the sand problems that are blighting the West Shore?

Offline SteveH

« Reply #8142 on: July 31, 2019, 12:57:04 pm »
Cordyline

Re: Stop Press
« Reply #1698 on: July 28, 2019, 09:58:09 PM »
QuoteSplit Topic
£20m beach defence

This link from Cordyline............

Up to £20m could be spent improving flood defences on two beaches at a north Wales seaside resort.
Proposals for Llandudno could also see new sand beaches return to the town's North Shore.

Climate change models suggest the sea around the Great Orme headland could rise by 700mm (2.5ft) over a century.
Engineers at Conwy council said much of the town would then be at risk of severe flooding - unless action is taken.
"Basically, Llandudno is a bowl and the sea defences are its rim - if they fail, the town is flooded," said Conwy's flood risk manager, Owen Conry.   "We need to mitigate that flood risk."

More.........  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49131695

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8143 on: July 31, 2019, 01:03:39 pm »
In '92 the Llandudno Heritage Trust, among others, commissioned a report into this. The report found the same issues as currently: the beach needs raising with several hundred of thousands of tons of sand. Of course, because of the cost, not a lot was done. 

The cost will be at least £20m - possibly more - but needs to be funded by central government.  If the PM was telling the truth, we'll have wads of cash after Brexit, and the PM wouldn't lie, would he?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8144 on: August 01, 2019, 08:16:21 am »
I must admit that I don't understand the complexities of coastal defence, it's beyond my comprehension so I'd rather leave it all to those expert consultants and CCBC.
I'm still puzzled though why they put sand on the West Shore which has a howling westerly wind for most of the time and yet they put rocks on the North Shore that isn't affected by the wind.
They reckon the cost of the sea defence will be at least £20m  but in another report I read that the cost of one wooden groyne alone would be £1m     Does this mean that they won't be able to build wooden groynes that we know do work, and  put in cheaper rock groynes that we know don't work?   

Of course they have to plan for the future  and Climate change models suggest the sea around the Great Orme headland could rise by 700mm (2.5ft) over a century so why are they only suggesting to raise the West Shore sea wall by 16 inches?
It's too much for me to take in and I'm just hoping that at long, long last CCBC will get something right

As for a raised walkway on the West Shore,  I think that April 1st would be an appropriate date to start on that project