Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613692 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #8010 on: July 02, 2018, 11:17:31 pm »
We had an excellent time viewing the entire Armed Forces spectacular from a high vantage point, Pen Dinas on the Gt Orme, looking directly down into the town.
Apart from everything which has been described, I was able to see the that the town was entirely empty except for the Prom.
Mostyn St was easy to park on, and there was fewer people than an Extravaganza.
I’ve been in many, many football crowds over the years, and based on what I saw, I’d say there was a maximum of 15,000 people in Llandudno.  Perhaps 10,000.
One guy who was drafted in to marshal cars at a Park and Ride said that they had NO ONE turn up at all!
Several local businesses had put on extra staff, and subsequently sent them home, plus they had large quantities of perishable stock go to waste.
Regardless of this, it was an excellent display all round, but I wonder who is responsible for making those outlandish predictions and how they came to those figures?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8011 on: July 03, 2018, 06:35:40 am »
Yes, who came up with those predictions of 250,000 people coming? We had warning signs of delays on the A55 for at least two weeks! We kept away as we thought it would be chaos, looks like many others thought the same!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #8012 on: July 03, 2018, 01:26:53 pm »
I think we are provided with similar statistics with the Wales GB Rally when all the spectators are not on the promenade this time but on the pavements in Mostyn Street from the Carlton Buffet down to North West Gardens.

Offline Dave

« Reply #8013 on: July 03, 2018, 07:43:28 pm »
So, if the attendance figures are way out so must be the claimed benefit to the local economy.

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8014 on: July 03, 2018, 10:56:22 pm »
I know one pub has said they are more busy when the scooter lads/ girls come here , I think all the pre estemates put a lot of people off comming .

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8015 on: July 04, 2018, 07:49:02 am »
Those estimates kept us well away, perhaps that was the intention? Would still like to know how they guess these visitor numbers!
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8016 on: July 04, 2018, 01:02:38 pm »
Agree crowds were nothing like the outlandish predictions which no doubt helped to ensure they were never going to be anything but. Town felt a lot more relaxed than the Extravaganza in May but hard to tell as the crowd was more evenly distributed right along the prom.

It was a fantastic day though, the airshow over the bay was truly a memorable spectacle.

DSFG5845 (Large) by Simon Gee, on Flickr

Offline Dave

« Reply #8017 on: July 04, 2018, 01:34:13 pm »
Why did they need to include a tacky fun fair in the military zone though?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #8018 on: July 04, 2018, 09:03:12 pm »
I preferred this improvised display by the Red Arrows.  ;)

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #8019 on: July 05, 2018, 12:30:57 pm »
Yes, who came up with those predictions of 250,000 people coming? We had warning signs of delays on the A55 for at least two weeks! We kept away as we thought it would be chaos, looks like many others thought the same!

I think the Daily Post started very early on, quoting the figures from the 2017 Liverpool AFD, of 250,000 and it never changed, speaking to a local councilor, I was told there top expectation was approx. 80,000.

I agree with your comment "kept away as we thought it would be chaos"  I think the constant mention of 250,000 visitors  backfired big time, like yourself a lot of locals did the same, plus thoughts of getting stuck on the A55 by those further afield, did not help.

Something else, the program stated a "fly past" by the Red Arrows and the Memorial Flight, no mention of a full display equal to an Air Show, this I think was a serious error, like I said before, the biggest problem was a lack of information.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8020 on: July 09, 2018, 09:58:05 am »
Mostyn Broadway from Bog Island to the Swimming Pool is closed for 2 weeks to permit demolition of the Tudno Castle Hotel.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #8021 on: July 09, 2018, 10:39:03 am »
Just had to negotiate my way to Craig-Y-Don and back, so I used the prom. Fine if all the coaches didn't decide to park/load and unload in the middle of the road ! >:(
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #8022 on: July 09, 2018, 11:02:59 am »
I wonder does the old Order still apply or are CCBC in breach of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 Section 14(1)?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8023 on: July 09, 2018, 11:14:16 am »
A good point Bri, but as it's Mostyn Estates then they will turn a blind eye to it.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #8024 on: July 09, 2018, 11:33:02 am »
Fair point, Hugo.