Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612531 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7995 on: June 21, 2018, 05:26:59 pm »
Burger Dan near Norwich named as place to get Britain’s best bacon butty, now here's a challenge Mike you could have made a packet yesterday

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7996 on: June 21, 2018, 09:32:57 pm »
Hi Hugo, Am I the "Mike" you refereeing to? If so---I don't for a moment to expect you know but I did have a hot dog van around 35 years ago. It didn't last long. I wasn't suited to that trade.  I used to be bored if no customers. Then I used to get easily hassled if i had a sudden rush. So I took on a helper on a wage. Then there were two people bored at my expense

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7997 on: June 21, 2018, 11:11:35 pm »
yes but you did'nt have the forum to pass your time away then Mike. (see you soon )

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7998 on: June 25, 2018, 12:04:15 am »
Estimates range from 150k to 300k people who will ATTEMPT to visit Llandudno for the Armed Forces Day.
I can’t imagine the town with up to TEN times the number of visitors that we get on Extravaganza bank hol.  (That’s if 250k try to attend)
The crowd management, the traffic, and the toilet situation are bad enough with 25k visitors.
It’s unimaginable.
The A55 has only 2 lanes and no hard shoulder. How will ambulances be able to get to and from hospitals?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7999 on: June 25, 2018, 07:57:12 am »
We won't be here over the weekend, although there's a bit of me that would have liked to have been. But we'll be driving the A55 against the flow coming to Llandudno so that could be interesting.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #8000 on: June 25, 2018, 05:39:31 pm »
One thing which Conwy needs to get moving is the installation of roadside charge points for EVs (electric vehicles).  There are a few stages to this, but other towns have already done it so Conwy should (!!!) be able to follow their lead.

With the banning of all diesel and I suspect significant tax increases on petrol vehicles Conwy needs to act now to get ahead of the curve on this.  Here's what they need to do...;

1.  Apply to the WA for the funding (the WA has a couple of million which they've been trying to give away).
2.  Determine where on the roads the charge points will go.
3.  Amend or create traffic orders to allow for specific kerbside charge point bays to be painted on the road
4.  Amend or create a traffic order empowering traffic enforcement officers to ticket non-EV cars parked in the charge point bays.

A fairly easy and straightforward process which will play a vital part in encouraging visitors here and only a council not fit for purpose would not have implemented some part of those plans already. Wonder if Conwy has?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #8001 on: June 25, 2018, 08:22:58 pm »
Agreed Ian, mate of mine made the charging points at the Beaumaris leisure centre happen. He did the funding application and the centre now has a source of revenue for years to come. A great amenity for the town too.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8002 on: June 26, 2018, 11:11:51 am »
CCBC has installed a couple of EV Charging Points on the new Prom in Colwyn Bay (next to the new refreshment kiosk). Ian's quite right, as the EV revolution gathers pace, Conwy should be ahead of the curve in installing charging points, not lagging behind as usual.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8003 on: June 26, 2018, 11:18:03 am »
HMS Somerset will be arriving in Llandudno Bay on Friday afternoon for Armed Forces Day on the Saturday.

I believe the Prime Minister will be attending the event on Saturday, in addition to Princess Anne. Sadly, the Leader of the Labour Party did not think the event important enough for him to attend..

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8004 on: June 30, 2018, 02:28:18 pm »
Armed Forces Day in Llandudno draws big crowds

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44613287

Offline Dave

« Reply #8005 on: June 30, 2018, 03:12:02 pm »
From the top of Nant-y-Gamar it didn't look that busy in town but compared to a usual summer Saturday, yes the prom was packed.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8006 on: June 30, 2018, 04:44:52 pm »
Nice photos Dave

Offline A 7 A

« Reply #8007 on: June 30, 2018, 09:44:01 pm »
Great Photos,... I wishI could have been there today but was working

Offline Hugo

« Reply #8008 on: June 30, 2018, 10:32:59 pm »

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #8009 on: July 01, 2018, 12:51:04 pm »
I had a great day, I managed the parade and the air display, which was tremendous, it was announced that due to the good weather, we got the full Red Arrows repertoire, the Memorial flight (a little disappointed as not very close to shore, HS rearing it's head) however always good to see, and the new Typhoon's powerful display on full military power, using 600 litres  of fuel a minute, an extremely impressive finale.

It will be interesting to see the numbers of visitors quoted, initially I thought it was a lot less than expected, however during the Airshow, I could see from the pier to the RNLI station, both the prom and the beach were packed.

An excellent event, marred by the lack of information, and a Seagull's lack of respect for my clothing.  :'(

Just found this U tube page of the days videos....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=armed+forces+day+llandudno+2018