Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2614209 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7965 on: May 08, 2018, 02:59:21 pm »
Hugo if you stand at the top of the zig zag you can see how much the channel has changed  the pontoons are still out there  they have moved the harbour masters hut from the middle to just opp the Gogarth abbey site in my opinion he can't see properly from there + Not enough signage .

Thanks Norman,  I saw the tide coming in the other day and I thought at the time that the sandbanks have changed but I must admit that I haven't noticed the Harbour Masters hut before.  I'll have to pay more attention next time I go there.     ;D

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7966 on: May 09, 2018, 08:30:41 am »
Who got out and enjoyed the Victorian Extravaganze over the weekend? The weather was fantastic and the crowds were out Sunday, in particular, seeing the whole town rammed. The parade was better this year than I remember last year, I love seeing all the old steam-powered tractors etc doing the circuit through Llandudnos streets. Local food/drink businesses seemed to be doing ok too from what I noticed. Its hard to see how this event was not a great success for the town.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7967 on: May 09, 2018, 08:45:41 am »
I suspect the ride owners did well, but it doesn't seem to help the local businesses, apart from the hotels and eating places.  Very impressive watching the dismantling of the Ferris wheel in St George's Place, though; eight men and the tallest crane system I've ever seen in Llandudno simply folded the wheel into its trailer housing. I suspect that's one thing that we should have on permanent display.  Everywhere seems to have a giant Ferris wheel these days, and it would do wonderful business during the season.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Neil

« Reply #7968 on: May 09, 2018, 11:58:30 am »
Here are some pics taken from the top of the Ferris Wheel.

Offline hollins

« Reply #7969 on: May 09, 2018, 06:19:27 pm »
Great photos Neil, thanks. Not the usual view of Llandudno.
It looks like your sea mist managed to keep itself a little bit away from land. We have been to Pembrokeshire and our coastal walks were rather spoilt by stubborn mist and generally poor weather.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7970 on: May 09, 2018, 11:09:38 pm »
I suspect the ride owners did well, but it doesn't seem to help the local businesses, apart from the hotels and eating places.  Very impressive watching the dismantling of the Ferris wheel in St George's Place, though; eight men and the tallest crane system I've ever seen in Llandudno simply folded the wheel into its trailer housing. I suspect that's one thing that we should have on permanent display.  Everywhere seems to have a giant Ferris wheel these days, and it would do wonderful business during the season.

On the contrary, it helps the vast majority of local businesses.
Retail thrives in most forms, and it’s rare you can say that.
The sheer weight of numbers means that it’s a bonanza for most types of shops.
It used to be my 2nd best weekend of the whole year, second only to August Bank Holiday.
Other Pier traders used to moan that it didn’t help them.  But this year when I visited them they said that even they couldn’t complain.
The ride operators didn’t lose a minute due to bad weather for a change. I also think they were a little more sensible with their pricing this year.
All in all, a cracking extravaganza.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Neil

« Reply #7971 on: May 09, 2018, 11:13:55 pm »
The sea mist threatened this area on Saturday and Sunday, but didn't
reach land in many areas. I drove from Manchester to Scarborough one sunny bank holiday years ago only to be confronted by a sea mist! Crazy days.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7972 on: May 10, 2018, 08:20:14 am »
I suspect the ride owners did well, but it doesn't seem to help the local businesses, apart from the hotels and eating places. 

On the contrary, it helps the vast majority of local businesses.
Retail thrives in most forms, and it’s rare you can say that.
The sheer weight of numbers means that it’s a bonanza for most types of shops.
It used to be my 2nd best weekend of the whole year, second only to August Bank Holiday.

I based my comment on the number of years I've talked with store owners in Mostyn and Madoc streets and their reluctance to contribute to the running cost of the event because it didn't bring people into the stores. For the 22 years it's been run, the store owners - with the exception of the eating places - have repeatedly argued that the weekend does nothing for local businesses - even the reverse.

I'd be interested to hear from any store owner who said differently, and - if so - I'll copy it into here. But certainly the larger shops have always argued it does nothing for them whatsoever.

This last weekend, of course, was the warmest on record and widely predicted to be, so that may have had some effect. If  so, good;  that's what the event was originally intended to do.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7973 on: May 10, 2018, 08:13:17 pm »
It’s mixed bag, the further I enquire.
One lady on Madoc St said she had a great few days, another from the Littlewoods shop said it had been dead.   Neither sell food and drink, so it’s not consistent.
All those I spoke to on the Pier said they ‘couldn’t complain’. That makes a change!
But, the weather certainly helped, except for the sea mist which made it freezing on there.
Sainsbury’s in Mostyn St was continually busy, and struggled to get supplies of basics.... but we are talking food, drink, cigs, etc again.
A lady who has an independent shop on Mostyn St said it had been disastrous for her, and had completely wasted her time opening.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7974 on: May 10, 2018, 08:57:21 pm »
We were talking to the checkout operator in aldi Monday eve he said the car park was quiet all day also the shops were quiet . I think the locals had done the shopping days before .

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7975 on: May 11, 2018, 08:17:14 am »
I think you're right, Norman. There's a type of siege mentality that takes hold among the locals on that bank holiday, with many going away and some simply staying in.

Overall, I think the event was wonderful when it first started. But it burns out the organisers, who have to manage the event continuously on the Saturday morning, so few can stay the course and run it for more than three years. Compound that with the immense egos of a small number of individuals who combine selfish arrogance with utter unreliability and you have the perfect recipe for disaster.

In 1990, the event was very nearly brought to its knees by the actions of one man, whose unbelievable immaturity and stupidity was equalled only by his utter ineptitude and selfishness. Ah - the stories I could tell...

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7976 on: May 11, 2018, 09:22:50 am »
My story from the very first one in 1986 outside Llandudno Railway Station will take some beating, Ian.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7977 on: May 11, 2018, 10:54:01 am »
Do tell....... ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7978 on: May 11, 2018, 12:24:57 pm »
Ah...go on, go on, go on, GO ON!  :D

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7979 on: May 11, 2018, 01:27:39 pm »
As a member of Llandudno Round Table, I had the task of directing the traffic outside Llandudno Railway Station.

A fleet of steam rollers had been stored securely overnight within the station complex.

There was normal traffic travelling along Vaughan Street.

If any steam roller was not quick enough, I put my hand up to stop it so the normal traffic had priority.

A well-known town councillor quite rightly told me off and explained why.

I had never seen these steam rollers before 1986 so it was certainly a lesson learnt and a job role I was never appointed to ever again.