Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2613586 times)

Offline llandudnotrust

• Management board member
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7875 on: November 14, 2017, 05:46:58 pm »
Or at the back of what is now Outfit where they were going to build for someone else a few years ago

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7876 on: November 14, 2017, 06:59:02 pm »
It is rumoured the travel agents (TUI) are moving out and I believe there is an empty unit next door formerly Bank so, if that is the case, they could very easily merge units 9A and 9B.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7877 on: November 15, 2017, 08:43:17 am »
M&S is a huge store, the food hall alone would take up more room that either of the suggested Parc Llandudno sites could handle, never mind the fact that the car park there is always nearly full already since the opening of Primark. There's no way it could handle the hundreds of extra cars an M&S would generate.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7878 on: November 15, 2017, 08:54:29 am »
They'd need a store the size of Debenhams at least.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7879 on: November 15, 2017, 09:26:51 am »
I worked in the warehouse in M & S many years ago and that's a big building too so anything at Parc Llandudno would have to be really big to accommodate everything that is needed.

I wonder what is the real reason behind the proposed move?      The store at Rhyl moved to Prestatyn apparently because of the cost of the rates and it left a massive gap in the High Street trade in Rhyl so I just hope that the same thing doesn't happen to Llandudno

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7880 on: November 15, 2017, 09:31:25 am »
The speculation has already started, who is going to take over the old M&S?.    Which raises the question, why is M&Ss  gambling that a direct competitor will not move in ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7881 on: November 15, 2017, 09:43:47 am »
The speculation has already started, who is going to take over the old M&S?.    Which raises the question, why is M&Ss  gambling that a direct competitor will not move in ?
I'd like to see Waitrose take over one of the sites to be vacated.  $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7882 on: November 15, 2017, 09:48:57 am »
Blow for Llandudno's town centre: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/marks-spencer-ms-llandudno-close-13899825
This line makes me laugh:
"If the move goes ahead it will be viewed as a huge blow to the town centre, which has struggled in recent years."
How has it struggled? It has one of the lowest shop vacancy rates in the UK! Really poor journalism...
I see the errant line has been revised in the most recent article:
"Llandudno's main shopping street has survived the economic downturn relatively well - with one of the lowest empty property rates in the UK."

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/marks-spencer-llandudno-replacements-13900040

Offline hollins

« Reply #7883 on: November 15, 2017, 10:04:05 am »
M&S and Tom moving in the New Year.
It's more than a girl can take....... :o :o :o

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #7884 on: November 15, 2017, 10:41:38 am »

Oh, yes :-)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #7885 on: November 15, 2017, 11:32:12 am »

The question of parking raises its head here. ?? Any suggestions???
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Goofey2

« Reply #7886 on: November 15, 2017, 12:12:09 pm »
There is nowhere big enough on Parc Llandudno or Champneys unless they take up some of the parking spaces, which has already been brought up here would not be adequate.

Unless Mostyn Estates are very lenient with their current policy of what is allowed to move in on these sites I do wonder how M&S plans will come to fruition.  However the store should have some clout, as probably the major store attraction for the town.

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #7887 on: November 15, 2017, 02:00:59 pm »
There could be an ideal site available if they were allowed to pull down whats left of the Tudno Castle. D)
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #7888 on: November 16, 2017, 09:20:01 am »
Plan is still for Tudno Castle site to become a Premier Inn/Pizza Express/Beefeater... just dealing a long delay after it was discovered they'd have to tear the whole building down and then re-build some (where have I heard that before...?).

After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #7889 on: November 16, 2017, 09:41:23 am »
If you take the view that M&S would need a very large building with dedicated car park...then the only site suitable in that area would be the current Asda?