Author Topic: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?  (Read 2612236 times)

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
Re: What's Llandudno Like Right Now?
« Reply #7440 on: April 13, 2017, 08:13:15 pm »
Perhaps the "chaos" is more intermittent.  I boarded 1215 X5 bus at M&S at 12.18 today.  He proceeded without any problem to North Western Gardens stop then turned into Vaughan St, accessed the Parade without difficulty and encountered no hold ups.  The preceding 5 service was a few vehicles in front so he was about 15 minutes late.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #7441 on: April 13, 2017, 08:20:06 pm »
It's certainly needed some TLC  Bri. when I last saw it.     You probably know this that the building was originally two  hotels, the Castle Hotel which was on the Broadway Hotel side and the Temperance Hotel which was on the side nearest the railway station.
I'm told that my G Grandfather on my mother's side owned the Temperance Hotel and also the gardens in front of it but those nice gardens have long gone to be replaced by Bog Island! 
My mother's maiden name was also Hughes and the family in those days were called Hughes Temperance but we've succeeded in getting rid of that name.           Z**

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7442 on: April 13, 2017, 08:27:04 pm »
Yes, Hugo, that is the section that I noticed had been removed.

At that time, Cambrian, your traffic traveling down Mostyn Street past the Nationwide Building Society unusually enjoyed the right of way for a while.

However, it soon became chaotic after the cones were removed in Vaughan Street and then the right of way reverted back to traffic traveling along Vaughan Street and across into Vaughan Street towards the Imperial Hotel.

This resulted in traffic in Mostyn Street queuing down Mostyn Street as far as the eye can see.

This was after 2pm.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #7443 on: April 14, 2017, 11:12:28 am »
Who else gets irritated by parking like this, when the town is busy?

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7444 on: April 14, 2017, 11:23:43 am »
I have just been looking at the same situation on Gloddaeth, 8 or 9 foot spaces between cars.      &shake&

Offline TheMedz

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #7445 on: April 14, 2017, 11:35:13 am »
For the first time I can remember I've seen a Traffic Warden handing out tickets to cars parked on the Orme. He was booking cars on the double yellow lines on Ty Gwyn Road leading up to Black Gate. I can only imagine that someone from the Trams has reported the issue which at peak times causes gridlock back across the tram lines.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7446 on: April 14, 2017, 11:44:26 am »
I wonder if the Traffic Wardens walked up to there?    Driving up there is  bad enough  anyway without people parking on the double yellow lines

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #7447 on: April 14, 2017, 01:31:08 pm »

Yes and the double parkers, as discussed yesterday. There is one to the extreme left of your pic.....if that firm get any bigger waggons the whole town will be blocked ! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline cygnusx-1

« Reply #7448 on: April 14, 2017, 02:22:46 pm »
I have just been looking at the same situation on Gloddaeth, 8 or 9 foot spaces between cars.      &shake&

I saw both the motorbikes leaving the spaces either side of the white car.......honest!

Offline Michael W

« Reply #7449 on: April 15, 2017, 12:56:42 am »
Some hotels on North Parade obtain parking permits to guarantee their future guests parking.They have to move their and guests cars on a regular basis to ensure later parking spacings, thus taking up  at least two spaces  when only one is parked. Very inconsiderate for occasional visitors.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7450 on: April 15, 2017, 11:41:21 am »
After I drove into Llandudno earlier, I have some more observations to make because I know some local councillors do visit our forum.

Mostyn Broadway remains closed to traffic but, amazingly, pedestrians are still allowed to walk down Mostyn Broadway, which begs the question which is the more dangerous option?

Mostyn Broadway Coach Park is empty so one wonders where all the visiting coaches this weekend are going to park?

I witnessed one coach that had turned right off Vaughan Street and into Adelphi Street and then endeavouring to turn right again down Moon Street in order to get back onto Mostyn Broadway to access the coach park.

At the other end of Adelphi Street by the swimming pool yet another coach had turned off Tudno Road and soon established there is not a rear entrance to the coach park. As a result the coach driver struggled to turn round the rear of Cafe Cais. After that, the driver reversed through the No Entry to get into the coach park.

To add to the misery, it looks as if there is an endurance race today on the promenade.

The good news for me is me and my car are now back home.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7451 on: April 15, 2017, 12:06:57 pm »
I bet you couldn't believe your eyes when you saw that coach go into Adelphi Street and then into Moon Street, it's unbelievable.     So is the point you've made about the pedestrians going past the building, that's just madness.    Perhaps it's the start of the silly season

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #7452 on: April 15, 2017, 01:37:36 pm »
My OH, has informed me that the Oval cricket club car boot has been cancelled due to legal reasons involving Mostyn estates ? which is of concern as the club needs the funds to continue operating the Oval ?

Facebook message.....
Good afternoon, this is a post I hoped I would never have to write.
I'm afraid on legal advice we are going to have to cancel Sunday's Boot Sale , and also to announce that there will be no further events on the Oval for the foreseeable future.
We are already in the process of trying to get the sales back on, but this is going to take time and is highly unlikely to be resolved in time to start up again this year.
I would ask that nobody turns up in defiance/support on Sunday, this really would do our cause no good.
I will post in more detail the reasons for the suspension in due course, but please be assured we will be working hard to make sure this is just a years break, not a permanent closure!!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #7453 on: April 15, 2017, 01:46:18 pm »
That is a shame. That car boot sale has been on the Oval for many years

Correct, Hugo, and what I forgot to add was there was a lorry making a delivery to a hotel and parked up in Adelphi Street making it even more difficult for the coach to turn into Moon Street.

As a consequence, cars were having to reverse back into Vaughan Street to go the way they should have done in the first place in accordance with the yellow diversion sign.

Sounds silly, Hugo, but I wondered if pedestrians should be provided with hard hats to walk down Mostyn Broadway on the pavement?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7454 on: April 15, 2017, 03:13:23 pm »

Sounds silly, Hugo, but I wondered if pedestrians should be provided with hard hats to walk down Mostyn Broadway on the pavement?

It would only sound silly Bri if you said that Mostyn Estates would be paying for the hard hats.       :o