Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 203433 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #720 on: February 01, 2013, 11:07:11 pm »
I'll have a look in the Archives for the Marriage of Thomas and Emma Williams next time I'm there.  As Emma was from the Parish of Caerhun then the marriage should be from there and would have been recorded.
If Thomas was not on the 1841 Census then perhaps he was already dead and the Caerhum Burial records may help there too.  I'll have a look at them also.

Offline jom

« Reply #721 on: February 02, 2013, 05:18:18 am »
That's VERY kind, Hugo  $thanx$

Offline Hugo

« Reply #722 on: February 05, 2013, 04:57:49 pm »
Jom, I did look at the Marriage Register for Caerhun but couldn't see anything for Thomas and Emma. The only Thomas Williams that I could find in the time scale that they would be in was this one:-
Entry No 300   Thomas Williams of Gyffin and Ann Jones of Caerhun Parish  married on 15th Feb 1808

In the Burial records were:-
No 344    Thomas Williams of Roe (Rowen) died Nov 18th 1841 age 61 buried at Caerhun.
No 129   Had a burial for Emma William of Ro (Rowen)  died March 2nd 1824 aged 60 ( the age looked like 60 but it can't be the same Emma)  I wonder if it was Thomas' mother in law?

Sorry it isn't much help.

Offline jom

« Reply #723 on: February 05, 2013, 08:00:24 pm »
Hi Hugo,

Many thanks for the search.  I'll check Thomas' burial with FreeBMD too and may obtain the cert to see.  Shame there's no obvious marriage for them but thank you for looking.  Much appreciated.

Have attached a photo of John and Martha Williams and one of their children for interest.  It was taken at the Old telegraph

Offline Hugo

« Reply #724 on: February 07, 2013, 10:39:43 pm »
That's a good photo of John and Martha and I'm sure that I have seen one similar before.
I was in the Library today and had a look at the 1841 Census that you have previously posted and Emma, Mary and John were listed on it but not Thomas.
Now the Census was carried out sometime in the middle of 1941 and the Thomas Williams I saw in the Burial Index didn't die until Nov 1941 so if it was the same person why wasn't he on the Census with his family?    It's all a big mystery.

Here's a current photo of  the Rock Studio but I'll post a better one again.

Offline jom

« Reply #725 on: February 08, 2013, 12:04:25 am »
So the Rock Studio was literally that! 

I too wondered about Thomas if that was his burial.  he could of course, have been a journeyman.

When would you say the photo might have been taken.  John and Martha's first born was Martha in 1866.  She was, I believe a twin to Emma who died within the next quarter 1866.  I assume it is their first born otherwise other children would be present usually.  The last child was born 1879 Emma Jane but as far as I know clothing etc would not have changed much during this time.

Does anyone know when both the Royal and Rock studios were up and running as this might help?  In the meantime I'll assume the photo is of their first born.  :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #726 on: February 08, 2013, 10:28:34 am »
Here's an old photo of the Old Telegraph Station and one of the photographer from the Rock Studio but I don't know if it'll help in dating your photo.

Offline jom

« Reply #727 on: February 09, 2013, 07:12:49 pm »
most interesting, cheers Hugo.  Especially the bits on The Old Telelgraph.  i know it was in John and Martha'ss ahnds a good number of years and all their kids were born there I believe.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #728 on: February 12, 2013, 03:15:12 pm »
This is a photo of the old Cemetery of St Tudno's C1870 and where John and Martha were buried.   The Cemetery was later extended but the older part is still enclosed on all sides by the walls

Offline jom

« Reply #729 on: February 12, 2013, 11:43:03 pm »
Looks a bleak outpost in that picture.  LOL

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #730 on: February 13, 2013, 11:29:03 am »
It still is ! When the wind is blowing off the sea it is a wild and lonely place .
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #731 on: December 30, 2013, 05:26:11 pm »
Hi Jane,   hope that you and the family had a good Christmas and wish you all the best for the New Year.

The reason I'm posting this is because at pg 22 on 23rd Nov 2011 you mentioned the Roberts family from the Factory in Fforddlas.    Did you ever find the location?
The other night I was reading a walking book by Chris Draper and in it he mentions the Factory.  It was a saw mill called Felin Lifio otherwise called Factory House and was powered by the waters of Nant Garreg Ddu and it isn't far from Salem Chapel.

Offline Cambrian

• Genealogy & Research team
« Reply #732 on: December 31, 2013, 03:44:54 pm »
Just a by the by, Hugo.  Felin Llifio was originally a woollen mill and later became the saw mill for the Bryn Eisteddfod Estate. Last time I was up there - a few years ago - the mill pond was still in situ along side the Nant Garreg Ddu. I guess the name "Factory" originates from the woollen mill days when cloth was weaved there.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #733 on: December 31, 2013, 04:29:19 pm »
Thanks very much for that info Cambrian.  I've never been there but after reading Chris Draper's book I was thinking about popping down there to have a look at it. His book was written about C 2000 and he said then that you could just about make out the old waterwheel that was covered in creepers.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #734 on: January 02, 2014, 03:01:08 pm »
The weather was fine and dry today so I went to the Salem Baptist Chapel and then followed Chris Draper's instructions to look at the Factory House.   The grave is that of the Roberts family from Factory House
I'm assuming this is the property but the waterwheel is clearly visible now and I took some photos of the wheel and the property adjoining it.
It was only when I got nearer the property that I realised that I had actually been there before.  My car was an economical write off 7 years ago and the person living there did an excellent job getting it back on the road.