Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 202478 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2011, 05:43:15 pm »
You can't see the Railway from King's Road itself as another line of houses has been built behind it, on what was once the Carriage Sidings.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2011, 03:15:02 pm »
I put your John Roberts' details into Ancestry and the best matched came up with the Census details for 1901 and 1891.
Now I have no way of checking if this is your relative or not but I'm putting the details down from the Census in case something rings a bell with you.
1901 Census living at 7 Jubilee Street Llandudno were Enoch Roberts and his wife Mary with their 8 children.
Ann, Lewis, Evan, John, Jennie, Richard, Robert and Owen.
Their ages were 48,45,23,21,20,16,14,12,9 and 4 respectively and John's occupation was listed as a labourer mason.  All could speak Welsh and English    $walesflag$
In the 1891 Census they lived at 16 Jubilee Terrace.
Again I can't verify that this is the person you were looking for but if you could obtain John's Marriage Certificate it may confirm this one way or another.

Offline emma p

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2011, 06:19:05 pm »
OOOOOHHH....they could ? be my great great grandparents. wow. Ive written this all down in my book which i will bring with me tomorrow.
Thanks to you all ive got lots to go on and a year of birth for john and annie which should help a lot. Yes a marriage cert. is definately what we need.
8 children !!! two being named john and richard is a coincidence indeed.
thanks again. $walesflag$

Offline emma p

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2011, 08:08:16 pm »
Hi all.
well we're all packed and ready for our week in Llandudno.
I want to say thankyou soooo much for all your help, hunting and searching youve done this week. It is very much appreciated by all my family. My sister cant get over all the information youve been able to find.
Everythings written down and i am itching to get on the computers and have a search for myself.
Will let you know how we get on when we come home.
Fingers crossed for some sunshine. Speak soon.  $thanx$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2011, 08:35:36 pm »
Hope the sun shines for you, Emma.  :)

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2011, 06:48:38 pm »
I've just found this thread - fascinating. :)

I was born in 30 KIngs Road in 1938 and lived there until 1949. 30 was one of a block of flats and our front door was the fourth (second of a pair) along from the corner which was next to the right of the house in the photo posted by Trojan. Someone needs to look at the street directory to check how the numbering went/goes. If it ran evens one side and odds the other then 26 would have been one of the end flats in our block. The block was demolished some years ago because the flats weren't fit for habitation - no inside toilets and nowhere to put one; one bedroom and so damp you could swim to bed. The photo that Trojan thinks is in the back of Kings Road wouldn't be in the flats. They just had basic yards in the back surrounded by 8' high walls with solid door opening into the back entry. The upstairs flats each had stairs descending into their yards. 

The houses going in the direction of the playnees were/are (as the photo shows) better appointed and comparatively modern. Pullins (Habse) in the first. Ken, Doreen Edwards in the third down. The houses (still there) going in the Alex Road direction are three stories and very basic with narrow entries between them. From the demolished block: Frankie Morgan, ?, Ronnie Hughes, Les & Charlie and John Henson and Georgie Owen right on the end.

Davy, Bobby, Josie, Jack, Norah, Tillie, Joe Hughes (cousins) lived directly opposite us in houses like the ones going down to the playnees from us and think (not really sure) Annie Hughes next to them. Henry Owen going up from Davy's then Reggie Forrester in different houses again, built of glazed bricks. And shortly up again, big John Hughes (copper).

I don't recognise anyone in the photos but then they even outdate me.

Hope this helps.     {}{} 
Micox

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2011, 09:33:51 pm »
Great post Micox, the 1929 directory lists as follows: Right Side from Alexandra road  numbered chronologically 1-38 then Return 39-68 Here is Alexandra Road

at number 47 is F.Stallart pier attendant - is this one of your relatives?

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2011, 05:58:02 pm »
Hello Suepp.

Fred Stallard, 47 Alexandra Road was my Taid. I have a sneaking suspicion I was actually born there rather than 30 Kings Road as my parents, John Cox and Madge (Stallard) have that as their address on their marriage certificate and the Street Directory lists someone else living at 30 Kings Road in 1939!!  :o

Been thinking about the numbers in Kings Road and I'm reasonably sure the numbers started at the first house on the right coming from Alex Road. This would mean that number 26 came before ours at 30 (easy enough to check from the existing numbers). I also said it was the Morgans who lived in the first 3 storey house from ours. Not true, the Morgans were further along, it was the Dullers in that first house.
Micox

Offline emma p

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2011, 08:35:33 pm »
hello all,
home again after a super week in llandudno. its been an interesting one-busy researching, archiving and house hunting(on wednesday and thursday in the rain !)
Im gathering all our findings together and will post tomorrow-some suprises along the way-but still no burial place for John-very frustrating !
Dave-if i e-mail you some photos could you please put them on for me ? thanks.
I could have looked into this all week but we just ran out of time.....with a 5yr old there are other things to be doing but my sister and i are planning a long weekend again soon hopefully to continue our search as we now have some great new information and leads.
speak soon.....soooo wish i was still there.  :)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2011, 01:28:18 am »
Emma,  it was nice to see your sister again this week...
I know her well from the Pier, and she told me yesterday that it was you who was searching.
Please give her and her husband my best regards,  looking forward to seeing them again soon.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline emma p

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2011, 01:40:56 pm »
Hiya, yes she said she'd seen you and had a chat. We were off up on the cable cars while they were running !!!
  Hopefully we'll all be back there very soon. Me and Lucy def need to come up to continue with our search- its fascinating stuff !
  Will send your regards,  $walesflag$

Offline emma p

« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2011, 02:21:06 pm »
Hi all, here are the findings from our search this week.

1885- John Roberts born to Enoch and Ann Mary Roberts living in Tan-yr-ogo Cottages, Tan-yr-ogo Terrace.
             Baptised on April 13th 1885.
             Other children-Ann b.1878, Lewis b.1880, Evan b.1881, Jennie (Jayne Elizabeth) b.1887, Richard b. 1889, Robert b.1892,
             Owen b.1897.
   1891-  Family living in Jubilee Terrace.
   1901-  All living at 7, Jubilee Street.
   1906-  John marries Annie on 3rd Nov 1906 at Conway Registery Office.
             John was a labourer and Enoch was a bricklayer, no occupation listed for Annie.
             John living at 7,Jubilee St and Annie living at 1, Penrhyn Crescent.
             (would 1-4 Penrhyn Cres. be The Four Oaks Hotel by now ?....know terrace was built mid to late 1800's)
   1909- My Grandfather Richard Roberts born at 26, Kings Road.
   1911- Census states John, Annie and Richard living at 26, Kings Road.
   1914- WWl breaks out. John joins the Army with possibly Royal Welsh Fusiliers.
   1920- John Roberts dies at Plas Tudno Hospital, Plas Road on Feb. 17th 1920 and is buried Feb.21st 1920 aged 35.
             His burial is registared in the parish of Eglwys Rhos (Llanrhos) I have a copy and have seen the registry of his death in the
             Town Hall.
             He dies of Mitral valve disease and pneumonia.
    1923- Richard Roberts is living in wednesbury aged 14, presumably sent back to Annies family, and working.

We had a very wet thursday afternoon searching the great orme cemetery for Johns grave.....no grave ! But we did find the grave of Ann Mary and Enoch Roberts. Also in the same grave are buried two of Johns brothers Richard and Robert.

1918- Ann Mary dies aged 62
   1930- Enoch dies aged 76
   1956- Richard dies aged 67
   1961- Robert dies aged 69

John Roberts grave eludes us ! we simply ran out of time.....was going to check obituarys for a funeral date. find it quite strange that John wasnt buried with his mother ???
The inscription is in welsh. I will try to write this out if anyone can translate please.
I have photographs too which i will post.
Just got some visitors so will post again tonight.  $walesflag$

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2011, 03:31:02 pm »
    1906-    Annie living at 1, Penrhyn Crescent.
             (would 1-4 Penrhyn Cres. be The Four Oaks Hotel by now ?....know terrace was built mid to late 1800's)

Yes, it is.

I had a grandmother living there around the same time.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2011, 04:21:03 pm »
    1906-    Annie living at 1, Penrhyn Crescent.

Yes, it is.

I had a grandmother living there around the same time.

What are the chances of you being related Bri?

Offline emma p

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2011, 04:28:01 pm »
The thought has crossed my mind ??????