Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 199713 times)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 11:41:55 am »
good point, the three storey houses do look much older

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 12:04:49 pm »
Kings Road must have been built in more than one stage and judging from the present range of house numbers then it may have been renumbered at some stage.
From Trojan's photo it looks like the newest part of the Road is the eastern end but John Roberts would have lived on the older section to the west.
If that was the case then the house that was originally No 26 could still be there but I haven't a clue as to what No it would be now.
Emma, is it possible that John Roberts returned to Wednesbury immediately after the WW I  and did in fact die there?
As to the John Roberts whose name appears on the Cenotaph I haven't any way of establishing who he was.  I did establish that a John Roberts from Winllan Ave Llandudno died in 1919 (not your relation) and it is possible that he is the John Roberts on the Memorial, I just don't know.
Anyway I hope that you find the answers to your questions when you come over here and that you have good weather too.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 12:06:39 pm »
Having said that however, it must be remembered that there's two different housing types in Kings Road. There's the two story type (shown) and also the taller three story houses (couldn't find a pic).
I would say those two storey houses date from the 1930s or 40s (and were designed by a blind architect possibly?). The 3 storey houses and the 2 storey versions further along the road are the ones from 1920, I suspect?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 12:17:09 pm »
The conundrum here is that Kings Road appears in the 1911 census, the foundation stone for the new housing scheme was laid in 1920

The way to check, would be for someone to pop along to 35 Kings Road where the inscribed foundation stone lies and see what type of house it is. If you look at the Pathe film it states that they were building a block of workmen's dwellings, which, were traditionally two storey, similar to Jubilee Street & Council Street etc.

Additionally, the street names Kings Road and Kings Avenue suggest that they were named after the death of Queen Victoria. Possibly during the reign of Edward VII, or George V.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 12:45:48 pm »
(and were designed by a blind architect possibly?).

:laugh: Good thing there's no members of the Hender family on the forum.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 01:02:42 pm »
good point, the three storey houses do look much older

You can clearly see them beyond the old brick works chimney in this postcard, but I'm not sure of the exact date it was printed.

I've always thought around 1907-1910.

Offline Trojan

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 01:03:40 pm »
 :)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 01:06:17 pm »

Why, did they design that house?  ???

Offline Trojan

« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 01:18:03 pm »

Why, did they design that house?  ???

:laugh:

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 02:51:57 pm »
No 35 is at the far end of Kings Road (eastern end) and is just a few doors away from that strip of grass. Have you any idea of what happened in that area?

Emma, I had a look on Ancestry at the Library and there is a record of the burial of a John Roberts aged 35 and it was registered in the quarter Jan,Feb,March 1920.
The Registration was Conway and the county Caernarfonshire.
Burial record 11b    page 635
I didn't keep a burial record of the John Roberts from Winllan Ave that I found yesterday as I knew it wasn't the one. If I had then I could checked it against the one I found today.   I was flicking through so much info but a date of death at 13th Dec 1919 came up during the search.

Offline emma p

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 06:17:44 pm »
OMG...hugo you are fantastic !!!
This is definately him and definately them living at 26 kings road. where would i look then to find a place of buriel.
I have never heard it said that he moved to wednesbury, thats an absolute no.
Got my sister here now who thinks you are all truly wonderful !!!! The conundrum is the whole kings road/alexandra rd. it would be fabulous if they did in fact remember the houses and '26' was still standing.
Our next question is to find out whether annie and the kids all moved to wednesbury after the death of john in 1919/20. (his death by the looks of it was not registared until after christmas !!!)
We have evidence of richard working and living in Darlaston, Wednesbury - address 19, Moor street - in 1923. This is via a copy of  his birth cert.being sent for to enable him to work.
On the buriel record does it state place of buriel ?
I really wish i was there looking with you......you all seem to know what youre doing.....my sister and i are planning an afternoon at the archive centre and cannot wait to get there. $good$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2011, 06:21:35 pm »
Excellent, I told you that posting on the Forum would bring dividends, Emma!  $good$

Offline emma p

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2011, 06:28:01 pm »
Dave words fail me.....i cant thank them enough. It is truly amazing. Thanks for asking me to join. I soooooo need to live in Lllandudno. Cant wait to get there on saturday.....dont care if it rains just as long as im there.  $walesflag$

Offline Trojan

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 12:24:14 am »
I also have two photographs of John Roberts in his army uniform.....would they be able to identify the regiment from this picture at the archives ??
Also a photo of Annie and her mother !!! Lord only know what her name was. They are both wearing very victorian clothing and sitting in the back garden of what looks like a terrace house.....presumably Alexandra road.

Emma, is there any way you could display these photographs on the forum?

I'm sure some of our forum members could identify the regiment and the location of the terraced house.

Offline emma p

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 08:02:38 am »
mmmm......i have thought how great it would be to post these pictures on here but im not brilliant on a computer  :(
How would i do this ? do i take a picture of them and then upload them ? Ill have a go !!!!!   :)