Author Topic: great orme cemetery  (Read 199764 times)

Offline emma p

great orme cemetery
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:10:12 pm »
hi all. I wonder if anyone would know how i would go about finding my great grandfathers grave ? He (and one of his sons) is buried in this cemetery but after many searches we are yet to find it. When my grandfather died we enquired about opening up the grave to put his ashes in but this proved too expensive for my family at the time.....this was back in 1983 ! Hence his ashes, my grandmothers ashes and now my mothers ashes were scattered near to St.Tudnos.
I would dearly love to find this grave....it would be pre 1920's so most probably overgrown and wouldnt have been a grand affair. They were a very poor Llandudno family with loads of kids !!!
I have photographs of him in his army uniform having fought in the first world war but nothing else at present...not even a date of birth ( something i am looking into, hopefully access to the computers at llandudno library when we visit next week ).
I know they lived in Alexandra road on the west shore.
Maybe the town hall would have a 'map' of the site and names ?????
I would be grateful for any help or ideas as to where to look next.  :) thanks

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: great orme cemetery
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 09:15:25 pm »
Hi Emma,

On the St Tudnos website, it says:

"St. Tudno's churchyard has been closed for burials for many years and the Church in Wales regulations do not permit scattering of ashes in churchyards.  Please please click here to contact one of the wardens or the Rector if you wish to locate a particular grave in the churchyard.  However, there is often confusion as to whether a grave “on the Orme” is in the churchyard or in the adjoining Cemetery, which is administered by Conwy County Borough Council (01492 544677)."

Contact page:
http://www.llandudno-parish.org.uk/contacts.html

I hope they can help you find the grave of your Great Grandfather.  :)

Offline emma p

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 09:23:09 pm »
thanks....it is the ajoining cemetery, not St.Tudnos,  managed to find their phone number and address (theyre based in colwyn bay) so will definately be giving them a ring.  :)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 10:15:09 pm »
Emma, the Conwy Archives has a record of the graves in St Tudno's Churchyard. In fact there are two separate grave yards there.
I might be going there this week so if you want to give me the names of the people ( and their spouses) that you want to find the graves for then I'll see what info I can get for you.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 10:39:34 pm »
Emma, the Conwy Archives has a record of the graves in St Tudno's Churchyard. In fact there are two separate grave yards there.
I might be going there this week so if you want to give me the names of the people ( and their spouses) that you want to find the graves for then I'll see what info I can get for you.

Also the year of death that they died would help too.

Offline Bellringer

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 10:42:37 pm »
Anything to do with St Tudno's churchyard, if you speak to Blodyn nicely, she may well be able to help.

Offline emma p

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 08:28:23 am »
Thankyou all. As yet the only thing i have to go on is the name - john roberts and an adress - 26, alexandra road.
He would have died pre 1920's.
Hoping to get on the computers at llandudno library next week and have a look at the census.
His wifes name was annie roberts nee webb ???? ( got a possible year of marriage - 1906 - but not definate)
He is not buried in St.Tudnos. He is in the other one - Llandudno cemetery.
As kids we were always told his name was on  the cenotaph in Llandudno......dont know how true this is as he did not die in the war but of the effects of gas at a later date apparently ????
If you could maybe have a look that would be really great.....sorry not much info to go on.
I do have my grandfathers (Richard Roberts)  dob - 5th Jan 1909 and d. 6th may 1983 if that helps.
Thanks again. :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 10:15:30 am »
Thanks Emma, I'll see what I can do.   Llandudno had two main burial grounds, Llanrhos and St Tudno's (which has 2 ) but the Conwy Archives has the names listed alphabeticaly so that helps and there are records on their computers too.
I'll keep you posted of what I can find.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 10:19:56 am »
As Bellringer has said, I can indeed help with information on St. Tudno's churchyard but in this case Emma has already identified the grave as being in the adjoining cemetery.  I hope that you manage to find it, Emma. 

Offline emma p

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 02:14:27 pm »
thanks so much both......hopefully i can do some digging when we come for a holiday next week.
To be honest as a family we really ought to just move there ! Llandudno plays a huge part in  our lives and we get there as often as we can. 
I have a vague recollection from my childhood hunting for Annie Roberts (Webb) grave in Llanrhos with my mom. I have photographs of them both but nothing more.
 $thanx$

Offline emma p

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 02:17:15 pm »
PS Blodyn.....love your pics.  :)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 03:59:38 pm »
Emma,  I have been to the Conwy Archives in Lloyd Street Llandudno (next to the Lifeboat Station) but have had no luck whatsoever.   The records for the old cemeteries of St Hilary's at Llanrhos and the Memorial and Inscription at St Tudno's are in books and easily checked as they are in alphabetical order.  The records for the Lawn Cemetery at St Hilary's and the Civil Cemetery at St Tudno's are on a computer and the person at the Archives checked but could find no entries for both John and Richard Roberts. We did a cross reference with Annie Roberts but nothing came up.
I was told that that the computer records are not up to date as the Archives are awaiting further information.
I did have a look at the 1983 copies of the Llandudno advertiser in case there was an obituary notice in the paper for Richard Roberts but there wasn't unfortunately.
The name John Roberts does appear on the Cenotaph for World War I   and we checked this against a computer record for people named on the plaques on the Cenotaph. Although there was provision for a lot of info on each person unfortunately only the name of the person that died is listed.
Sorry I couldn't resolve this for you but good luck with your research.  Although I couldn't help it might be worth you going to the Archives on your visit here as there is a lot of info and the staff are very helpful.

Offline emma p

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 04:38:59 pm »
Ah, bless you. thanks for looking. Richard Roberts died here in the midlands so there wouldnt be anything in the local paper. Think the cencus is my next port of call and a death certificate of some sort and a date of birth.
This proves how important it is to get all this information from relatives when they are alive !!!
My other option is an old family bible that is hidden in my dads loft somewhere, they used to write births and deaths in there didnt they.
Thanks again for your time and effort. Will definately pop in next week. Do you need to make appointments or be a member etc ?
Lovely to see his name on the cenotaph.....will be paying that a visit too ! Think id better come for a fortnight instead !! ;)

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 04:48:41 pm »
I have access to a 1925 Llandudno Directory, it lists the occupant of 26 Alexandra Rd. as ' Mona View ' Teer Roberts Edward,. Cab Proprietor. Don't know if this helps or hinders your search.
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 05:41:17 pm »
Hi in 1929 there is a John Roberts at 28 Alexandra Road, and in the North Wales BMD (free database) http://www.northwalesbmd.org.uk/index.php there is a listing for  the Marriage of Annie Webb in 1906 with one of the possible spouses a John Roberts, if you print out the summary and take it to the Registrars Office at Llandudno Town Hall you can obtain a copy for £9.00  Best to phone up first to make sure someone is in the office, they are very helpful. 01492 576 525