Author Topic: Your Views Required: Future of the Forum  (Read 27679 times)

Offline Trojan

Re: Your Views Required: Future of the Forum
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 01:01:38 am »
On the other hand, paid advertising from local businesses may help.

I seem to remember sponsoring an advert myself of Craig Ollerton’s original forum.

Ah yes, I seem to remember that advertisement too. Do you think it was profitable for you Bri? Did anyone enter your premises and indicate that they found out about you from the forum advertisement?

Offline Trojan

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 01:49:13 am »
I liked the Tudno FM radio player which was on the old forum. You could click on the player and listen to the radio whilst browsing the forum. This forum now covers a wider area, so maybe a radio station like Heart 96.3 would be relavent? Maybe the radio station would pay a fee for having the publicity on this forum?

http://www.heart.co.uk/walescoast/

Having said that, maybe two, three, or more stations could be added according to forum member's tastes?

Having the weather displayed again may be a nice touch. After all, everyone's interested in the weather.  $sunny$  $fan$

Offline Trojan

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 02:24:50 am »
This forum does do a remarkably good job, perhaps it's evolved away from the original intentions (I can't remember what they were  :laugh:) But a forum can become like a living entity, sometimes it's happy and sometimes not  :-X  But what a great job it's doing in informing us all of past and present times in this area! We've met good friends through it too  ZXZ  So many thanks to DaveR and Ian for all that hard work, long may it continue.  D)

Welcome back Merddyn.  :D

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 07:27:11 am »
Welcome back Merddyn.  :D

Thanks, I've had a nice rest  ;D (and a weekend with our Spitfire at the Llangollen Railway Sixties weekend  D) )
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2011, 09:52:56 pm »
Thanks to everyone who has contributed their views. It seems as though the Forum is valued and the consensus is it should continue. So it shall.  :)

I've just started work on one of the spin off projects; namely the online 'Guide to Llandudno'. This will be quite a big project but it we have a wealth of information already on the Forum that can be used, not to mention the collective knowledge of our Llandudno members. Once some progress has been made on the Guide, I'll be asking members' thoughts on the various bits that have been written and seeing if they have anything to add. I suspect it will be well into next year before it is finished but, once done,  it should form the most comprehensive source of objective information about Llandudno anywhere on the Internet.

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2011, 10:13:25 pm »
I'm very glad to hear that the Forum will be continuing, many thanks Dave and Ian for all that you do.

I'll look forward to seeing the "Guide to Llandudno". 

$thanx$

Offline Trojan

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2011, 02:24:15 pm »
All the bellringing jokes and cracks have been exhausted in this first year and so apart from the odd post about what is happening in Llandudno and North Wales ringing circles, I cannot bore you all further too much!

Hells Bells Stan! What makes you chime in and sound off with a un-a-peal-ing remark like that?

Offline emma p

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 10:37:29 pm »
Hey guys, just read through this thread with horror at the prospect of it ending.
I found this forum a while ago and as an avid 'Llandudno lover' found it really interesting and since joining the service has been invaluable.
I know i dont live in Llandudno but have been made to feel very welcome. Members have such wonderful local and historical knowledge and their comments and posts most valuable.
The gallery section is out of this world. Everytime i look through i find something of interest.

Long may the forum continue   $walesflag$

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2011, 11:03:07 pm »
Don't worry Emma,  the events that lead to all that nonsense are behind us now, and the dust has settled.

The Forum will continue FOREVER!, as the all-powerful and all-knowing Dave and Ian have realised that they cannot keep effective control of us, 'Their Flock', without the Forum!

More seriously, I think those who replied made many good points about the rich value of the Forum.
A bit more advertising revenue would be great, and a few more GUESTS turning into CONTRIBUTORS would be even better.

All Hail to Dave R and Ian....  L0L
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline emma p

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2011, 07:33:31 am »
Hurrah to that..... :D

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2011, 09:06:36 am »
 $thanx$
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Micox

• Ad Free Member
  • zooooooooot
    • family history
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2011, 07:20:27 pm »
Hey you lovable rabble.

I've said this before somewhere on the forum: nowhere else is there as good a contribution to the social history of Llandudno (and Colwyn Bay and Conway) as the forum. Academic studies are, in the majority, hopeless at recording inclusive events and people (have a look at those available - have a look at the contributions to our social history in the local museums - exclusively the exclusive, the establishment. This forum tells about ordinary people and ordinary happenings. I have wondered if it is worth offering membership to universities and maybe it should be at least explored.

Forum demise would be desperately sad.

I haven't had chance to get to the forum recently because I do a lot of voluntary work for the Norfolk Coalition of Disabled People and we've been very busy organising demonstrations against the government and local authority cuts. But it is invaluable for me as a Llandudno exile as it provides real contact with people in Llandudno and is something of an antidote to still felt homesickness (even after 33 years). I too, would be happy to pay a membership fee.

It is a hugely important resource and the organisers should get just as much recognition for an international contribution to sociology as those academics who write the books. And I'm serious about that.  $thanx$
Micox

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2011, 08:57:33 pm »
   Well said.   Or well written

Offline mull

• Management board member
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2011, 10:45:59 am »
From another Llandudno exile.
I agree with everything Micox has written.
Keep up the good work. $thanx$

Offline phil

• Born in the Bay but exiled for now!
    • Colwyn Bay and Beyond.
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2013, 12:24:21 pm »
in my case now i live away from the bay this keeps me in my spiritual home by reminding me of places and people from my youth, i sadly dont get back up to the bay as much as i would like these days, so this is a good place for em to visit occasionally, I dont know Dave (I think) but he needs to be commended for his excellent work especially for us exiles.
I have always been Welsh First, British Second and European Third, i am proud of my Celtic heritage and passionately proud my hometown which in my view has seen better days but still has a lot going for it.