Author Topic: Policing Issues Discussion  (Read 93317 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Policing Issues Discussion
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2011, 01:29:05 pm »
Ian, not being computer literate, I put I seem to remember into Google and the Institute of Safety in Technical Research came up but then I twigged that you could have meant " isn't there"    :-[
I had heard about Michael Shields from Liverpool who was convicted in Bulgaria of the attempted murder of  someone and later another Liverpool fan admitted to the killing but later withdrew his statement.  I have no proof whatsoever but heard that he took a lie detector test and passed it. 
It didn't affect the sentance but he was allowed to come to the UK to serve the remainder of it but Jack Straw pardoned him and he was then released from prison in this country.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2011, 02:40:18 pm »
Apologies, Hugo: I seem to remember = I seem To Remember.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2011, 11:31:54 pm »
Just going back to the ID card debate...

No matter how many arrests there were for Terrorism versus Fraud,  there would certainly have been a lot MORE arrests and simple convictions for BOTH crimes if ID card were in force.

Not only that, but it would have prevented many of these types of crimes from actually happening in the first place.

Finally, yes, I think terrorism is a much worse threat to society than fraud, (though I despise both) .. because I never saw a fraudster explode in a train carriage, murder scores of people, and maim hundreds more.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline PC Mike Smith

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2011, 12:53:29 am »
Let's get some policing issues going!  :)

Mike, how is the force re-structuring that took place in May coming along?

Have there been any noticeable benefits?

With regard to crime statistics, I should think that it's a little early at present to see any noticeable differences?

http://www.north-wales.police.uk/about_us/force_restructure_2011.aspx   

Hi Trojan,
Sorry for the delay in responding.
Since the restructuring it is fair to say that things have changed a lot.
The local response Teams are now running from Colwyn Bay leaving only the Neighbourhood Policing Teams and the new Investigation Teams at Llandudno.
This now means that the response officers are freed up to deal with the urgent jobs leaving the Investigation Team to deal with those deemed not so urgent and the Neighbourhood Policing Teams dealing with the Crimes on their respective patches.
The difference being that it used to be the Response teams dealing with all reports on a first service basis and then retaining the Investigation side of Crimes and passing down the non Crimes or lower level crimes to the Neighbourhood Policing Teams which  resulted in a much bigger workload for Response officers leaving them tied up with investigating Crimes when they should have been out on pro active patrols when not responding to emergency calls.
Now we have the Investigation teams and the Neighbourhood Policing Teams taking over the investigation of Crimes from the offset, freeing up the response teams to be more pro active and leaving more officers available to deal with incidents as they occur or more preferably before they occur.
At the busiest times such as late nights and weekends, the Neighbourhood Teams double up as Response units to add numbers to the presence in the busier areas.
I have to admit there were some teething problems as there is with all new systems but i honestly believe we are now providing a better all round service to those who are unfortunate enough to be victims of crime.
Each Crime has a dedicated investigator with agreed times when the Victim will receive updates (an area which i believe the Police in general seriously lacked in) we also now have experienced investigation supervisors who will go through each crime with a fine toothcomb to make sure nothing has been overlooked by the investigator and crimes cannot be filed unless every single possible line of enquiry has been exhausted.
One of the main reasons the restructuring took place was the attempts at reducing costs, obviously i cannot comment on how that is going as i don't have access to those figures but overall, i think it has been a good thing but as you say, i agree it is a little early to judge on Crime statistics which will eventually be the deciding factor as to whether the restructuring has been a success or not.
The above is my personal opinion only and not necessarily shared by my colleagues or superior officers

Offline PC Mike Smith

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2011, 06:33:52 pm »
One thing i should have mentioned is that the response teams are now bigger than they were and are deployed from colwyn bay to cover alll areas.i think my original post made it sound like they were only covering colwyn bay which is not the case.In fact there are probably more patrols in Llandudno than there were previously.

Offline Llechwedd

• Sixer
Re: Police News & Announcements
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2011, 12:48:15 pm »
How about going completely mad and having police on the beat?  Last time I saw a policeman in Llandudno was Christmas eve 2009 yes that's right two years ago.  You should have a presence and locals would know you were due and there to answer questions, sort out problems etc.  Otherwise what on earth do you do all the time?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 12:19:18 am »
If that is your experience Llechwedd, then fair enough.

But, it wouldn't be true to say that in my own area. (Great Orme)
Also, I think I do see quite a lot of beat constables around in Llandudno these days... and police vehicles in the evenings.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline PC Mike Smith

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 07:56:03 pm »
Llechwedd,
in response to your question "what on earth do you do all the time",

I don't know whether it was tongue in cheek but after thinking about it, it must be a question which those who don't work within the Police must wonder all the time.If they are not out on foot, what the heck are they doing and i will try to explain a typical day below.

Today for instance when i started duty there were in excess of 30 incidents (This is relatively low) which needed to be dealt with in the course of the day just in our area.
These are calls from the Public deemed by the callers themselves as not urgent but still require a resolution.
Each of those incidents take a minimum of half an hour to resolve and in more complex cases can take up anything from an hour to 3 hours.
In addition to these incidents and pre arranged appointments, we have to deal with jobs as they come in which at busy periods can be numerous Urgent 999 calls requiring immediate response from Officers leaving the non urgent calls to be placed on hold until officers are free.
For the incidents in which a crime has been committed, we need to record a statement at the scene and preserve any evidence etc.
In between each of these incidents the necessary Paperwork must be completed in relation to each incident.
As a result of some of the urgent calls and indeed some of the non urgent calls, we make several arrests which result in hours spent transporting the arrested person to custody, interviews and subsequent paperwork , file building for court etc.
In between attending our appointments, non urgent incidents, urgent incidents, paperwork, arrests, Interviews, Statements etc..we need to spend time investigating any criminal offences we have picked up some of which have lengthy enquiries attached.
There are also the numerous Court appearances we need to fit in.
When we are not doing any of the above, we will get out there on foot which is exactly what we all joined the Police to do.
As a local resident i also agree that we need to see more visible Police walking on the streets.
However, there are always Officers assigned to Llandudno Town Centre both on foot and on mobile patrol at the busiest times and i am sure any regular visitors to Llandudno Town Centre even on quiet days will have seen PC Gary Donnelly patrolling on foot as the Community Beat Manager for Llandudno Town Centre.
With the recent changes, i have been able to get out on foot a lot more in my own areas which i am glad has been noticed by residents such as Fester above.
I can assure you that despite beliefs to the contrary, there is not one time of the day that officers are sat in the Police station doing nothing, there is always something to be done and is the reason why we can be seen sometimes darting in to local take aways to grab a bite to eat on the move which again is something we are criticised for but it is a necessity rather than a luxury as we regularly miss out on meal breaks as a result of our workloads for the day and just grab something when we can.
None of us are complaining though,We are paid relatively well in comparison to other jobs and the hectic days are part of the attraction along with not knowing what may happen in the next five minutes.
I would really like it if the British Police were able to invite members of the Public to spend a shift with a Police officer as they can in America.I think it would really make a difference to people's opinions of what we do, how we go about the job and also their opinions of us as people.

Hopefully next time you are walking through Llandudno, Llechwedd you will see a good old fashioned Policeman on the beat complete with traditional helmet which at the end of the day is something we all want to see more regularly.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 09:01:24 pm »
Mike,

I have since received an acknowledgement following my pm to you.

Thank you for your assistance.

Brian

Offline PC Mike Smith

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 09:28:22 pm »
Thanks Mike for giving me the details of the Colwyn Heights Community Police, I have already been in touch regarding a matter that has arisen here.

No problem Hugo, glad i could help.Hope it gets resolved.

Offline PC Mike Smith

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2011, 09:29:11 pm »
Mike,

I have since received an acknowledgement following my pm to you.

Thank you for your assistance.

Brian

Thats good News Bri, Thanks for letting me know

Offline crd

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 07:07:20 pm »
Is this fact or fiction if it is fact I need to move to Llandudno?  I have never seen my local beat manager walking the streets in my town, the only way I would recognise him is by the photo posted on the NWP web site the only thing I see is a police patrol car speeding through.
 gone are the days when the local officer new the people in the town and relied on information given to apprehend villains, the fact is there are not enough officers on the beat crimes don’t get reported because people know they will have to wait hours if not days for a response, if you report drug activity you are told we (the Police) are looking at the bigger picture
Llechwedd,
in response to your question "what on earth do you do all the time",

I don't know whether it was tongue in cheek but after thinking about it, it must be a question which those who don't work within the Police must wonder all the time.If they are not out on foot, what the heck are they doing and i will try to explain a typical day below.

Today for instance when i started duty there were in excess of 30 incidents (This is relatively low) which needed to be dealt with in the course of the day just in our area.
These are calls from the Public deemed by the callers themselves as not urgent but still require a resolution.
Each of those incidents take a minimum of half an hour to resolve and in more complex cases can take up anything from an hour to 3 hours.
In addition to these incidents and pre arranged appointments, we have to deal with jobs as they come in which at busy periods can be numerous Urgent 999 calls requiring immediate response from Officers leaving the non urgent calls to be placed on hold until officers are free.
For the incidents in which a crime has been committed, we need to record a statement at the scene and preserve any evidence etc.
In between each of these incidents the necessary Paperwork must be completed in relation to each incident.
As a result of some of the urgent calls and indeed some of the non urgent calls, we make several arrests which result in hours spent transporting the arrested person to custody, interviews and subsequent paperwork , file building for court etc.
In between attending our appointments, non urgent incidents, urgent incidents, paperwork, arrests, Interviews, Statements etc..we need to spend time investigating any criminal offences we have picked up some of which have lengthy enquiries attached.
There are also the numerous Court appearances we need to fit in.
When we are not doing any of the above, we will get out there on foot which is exactly what we all joined the Police to do.
As a local resident i also agree that we need to see more visible Police walking on the streets.
However, there are always Officers assigned to Llandudno Town Centre both on foot and on mobile patrol at the busiest times and i am sure any regular visitors to Llandudno Town Centre even on quiet days will have seen PC Gary Donnelly patrolling on foot as the Community Beat Manager for Llandudno Town Centre.
With the recent changes, i have been able to get out on foot a lot more in my own areas which i am glad has been noticed by residents such as Fester above.
I can assure you that despite beliefs to the contrary, there is not one time of the day that officers are sat in the Police station doing nothing, there is always something to be done and is the reason why we can be seen sometimes darting in to local take aways to grab a bite to eat on the move which again is something we are criticised for but it is a necessity rather than a luxury as we regularly miss out on meal breaks as a result of our workloads for the day and just grab something when we can.
None of us are complaining though,We are paid relatively well in comparison to other jobs and the hectic days are part of the attraction along with not knowing what may happen in the next five minutes.
I would really like it if the British Police were able to invite members of the Public to spend a shift with a Police officer as they can in America.I think it would really make a difference to people's opinions of what we do, how we go about the job and also their opinions of us as people.

Hopefully next time you are walking through Llandudno, Llechwedd you will see a good old fashioned Policeman on the beat complete with traditional helmet which at the end of the day is something we all want to see more regularly.

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 07:23:42 pm »
What annoys me about the local Constabulary is the way they choose when and when not to prosecute when blatant offences are committed.

One good example is their attitude to roads with double white lines.  On a normal day if you park on a road with double white lines you will get booked.  But when the Extravaganza and Transport Festival come to town you can park willy nilly on Craigside Hill despite the double white lines and nothing is done about it.  With traffic parked both sides of the road the width is severely restricted and it is dangerous.  However, the amusing fact is that cones are put out near to the central reservations so that adequate space to pass is kept for the buses.  In other words parking on such roads is encouraged.!   Explain that!
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 08:34:37 pm »
Is this fact or fiction if it is fact I need to move to Llandudno?
I certainly see PC Gary Donnelly and the PCSOs on foot in Mostyn Street on a regular basis.

Offline crd

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2011, 08:47:48 am »
Dave with respect I wonder if the residents of kings road and other hotspots in the town can say the same don’t matter how much the NWP dress it up community policing is not what it was.
Some years ago I argued the fact with a senior police officer, he came back with figures of more Bobbies on the beat I told him he might be brainwashed into thinking this but I saw the real picture I live in the community 24/7