Author Topic: Policing Issues Discussion  (Read 93368 times)

Offline mull

• Management board member
Re: Policing Issues Discussion
« Reply #255 on: May 21, 2017, 07:30:24 pm »
Dont see the reasoning behind some of these exemptions.
Last year Order of St John presented a new Land Rover Defender to Oban Mountain Rescue Team. One of the last Defenders to come off the production line.

Last month this nearly new vehicle had to go for an MOT. Reason is, it is classed as an ambulance.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #256 on: May 28, 2017, 03:21:14 pm »
Next to the Bowling Club, pop in for a game, or just watch the play. Ask for Eric  $walesflag$

I just may do that Eric, it looks like we are taking the house and moving in a couple of weeks  D)

Offline Hugo

« Reply #257 on: November 12, 2018, 05:22:33 pm »
I was driving from Colwyn Bay to Llandudno this afternoon and on the promenade just past Rhos Point I saw a car that had been badly damaged and it must have been involved in a crash.
There was no ambulance on the scene but there were four Police cars in attendance which seemed strange, but there may be a reason why so many Police Officers were on the scene.
Later on I drove past the Llandrillo College and the Arrive Alive van was parked in its usual spot but the traffic was moving very slowly as the students were leaving the College at the time.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #258 on: November 27, 2018, 11:55:36 am »
A big discussion on mental health and the Police on the news this morning, I found this BBC article interesting.

Five people racked up 8,655 calls to the Metropolitan Police in 2017 - costing £70,000 to answer.
What did the top five repeat callers have in common? Mental health problems.

A watchdog for police forces in England and Wales released the figure to show how police have become the "default" service to deal with mental health.
Her Majesty's Inspectorate of Constabulary and Fire and Rescue Service claims the broader mental health system is "broken".

Continued  https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46347767

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #259 on: November 28, 2018, 11:56:17 am »
Continued from above.

“For the near future, North Wales Police and the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board ( BCUHB) have secured Welsh Assembly Government funding to embed a mental health triage unit in the force control room to provide expert advice to officers 16 hours per day when they are dealing with individuals suffering a mental health crisis.

News of the move comes after a report that highlighted that forces across the UK were increasingly having to deal with mental health-related issues but that officers did not always have the skills or expertise to deal with such crises.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/mental-health-experts-deployed-police-15473470

Offline Hugo

« Reply #260 on: November 28, 2018, 01:39:03 pm »
On a different issue, the other evening I was driving down the A55 to go to Deganwy and came off the road and approached the Tesco roundabout.
Anyone who uses this road will know that there are two lanes by the approach to the roundabout and are clearly marked with arrows. The left lane directs the traffic to Tesco while the right lane is for the traffic going straight on or turning right to the Cinema complex.
Anyway as I got to the roundabout I had to stop to allow a car to go to Tesco and as I set off a 4 x4  undertook me in the left hand lane and then cut me up before going in front.
I had to brake suddenly and unfortunately I do not have a dash cam in that car or otherwise I'd have reported the driver to the Police.   I've talked about getting a dash cam before but now I'll get one before the end of this week.   At least it will provide the evidence in the event of other dangerous driving that may happen

Offline Neil

« Reply #261 on: November 28, 2018, 03:40:28 pm »
(Anyone who uses this road will know that there are two lanes by the approach to the roundabout and are clearly marked with arrows)
I think this is the most important sentence in your statement. A lot of the drivers in this area are on holiday and don’t know the roads, we should make allowances for them. I have a dashcam but would not consider reporting anybody for such a trivial mistake. Have you ever been in the wrong lane when driving in a unfamiliar area?

Offline Hugo

« Reply #262 on: November 28, 2018, 06:52:49 pm »
That's very magnanimous of you Neil considering that it wasn't you that had to brake suddenly to avoid a crash when someone was carrying  out an illegal and dangerous manoeuvre at night time.
What makes you jump to the conclusion that the driver was on holiday or in an unfamiliar area?     
I came home a different way and to my surprise found that the driver lives in Deganwy and the vehicle was parked outside his house.   The car was legally taxed and MOT'd,   it's just a pity that his driving wasn't legal too

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #263 on: December 01, 2018, 09:13:35 am »
I have to say I find it worrying - and odd - when people seek to excuse ropey - and potentially dangerous - driving as 'trivial'. Wonder if they'd have the same response if a couple of kids threw a brick through their house windows?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #264 on: December 01, 2018, 10:10:23 am »
We are all entitled to an opinion on whether an incident is trivial or not, but at the end of the day the victim is the only one who knows whether it is trivial or not.    I was lucky because my quick reaction and the fact that the road was dry prevented a serious accident happening.
I’ve tried to understand what makes a local man who is obviously familiar with that particular road drive in such a reckless  and dangerous manner.     Was it drugs or drink or just the antics of a bully boy driving a large 4 x 4 but whatever the reason this type of driving should not be acceptable on the road
Would I report someone driving like that again if I had a dash cam?     You bet I would and I’d leave it up to the experts, namely the Police to decide if the incident was trivial or not

Offline Neil

« Reply #265 on: December 01, 2018, 02:41:04 pm »
You haven’t answered the question Hugo!

Offline Hugo

« Reply #266 on: December 01, 2018, 02:58:34 pm »
You haven’t answered the question Hugo!

Then what is the question you want answering Neil?

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #267 on: December 01, 2018, 05:32:08 pm »
That question was

Have you ever been in the wrong lane when driving in a unfamiliar area?

In my case I could answer "yes", and - as any competent and intelligent driver ought - I continued in the lane I'd selected if there was anyone to my side or behind and returned to my route from whatever detour I'd inadvertently taken when it was safe to do so. This isn't about accidentally being in the wrong lane; it's all about how that error is rectified.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Neil

« Reply #268 on: December 01, 2018, 10:35:08 pm »
Let’s draw a line under this. My attitude is probably because I have done most of my driving in big city’s.
I would just like to say it’s been a pleasure driving in this area for the last 7 years.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #269 on: December 01, 2018, 10:54:41 pm »
Let’s draw a line under this. My attitude is probably because I have done most of my driving in big city’s.
I would just like to say it’s been a pleasure driving in this area for the last 7 years.

I agree Neil,  it doesn't solve anything and anyway you can't compare driving in the wrong lane in an unfamiliar area,  to a local man driving in a familiar road in a reckless and dangerous manner.