Author Topic: Policing Issues Discussion  (Read 93386 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Policing Issues Discussion
« Reply #240 on: April 16, 2017, 12:23:54 pm »
I'm surprised that there has been no further mention of the woman driver who hit a woman on a zebra crossing by the hospital in Llandudno on 24th March 2017.
Apart from describing the vehicle as being a small maroon car, the woman was described as being in her 50's or 60's with a bob style haircut and wearing a maroon coloured anorak.
Surely there should also be enough CCTV cameras in that area to identify the car and driver and after all the Police know the time and date of that incident.   I believe that the lady victim had to have surgery after the hit and run incident so I hope that she has made a good recovery and that the driver is soon found.

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #241 on: May 14, 2017, 09:10:29 pm »
As some of you may know we are moving to the area and looking for a house. One we are considering is in Lloyd St, trawling the net for info on the area I was amazed to see this map of crime in the area in the past 6 mths. Am I naieve, or is this typical?

Cheers Simon

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #242 on: May 14, 2017, 09:27:15 pm »
FYI, that radius is more like one mile and not a quarter of a mile.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #243 on: May 15, 2017, 08:36:08 am »
Read it in more detail, Simon. The problem with quick-fix graphics like that is that it's what they don't say which is most important.  This is showing the reported incidents over a six month period. Given that it covers the most densely populated area of Llandudno what stands out is how few reported incidents there are.

So the next stage is to define each category. You can start by eliminating the anti-social behaviour category. Not only has Llandudno generally got a very low tolerance for that sort of thing, so that many might simply be Fester shouting at someone after 11pm, because every instance that's reported is logged it appears far worse than it is. Antisocial behaviour is  more in the eye of the beholder than a statutory offence.

The next category is very difficult to define, because it gives no details. Violence is easy, but 'sexual offences' can be almost anything, from someone browsing sites they shouldn't to far more serious things. But again  - no details.

Then the list of offences almost vanishes.  Criminal damage and arson, for instance: quite a difference between someone scratching the side of a car and setting a house on fire. And, frankly, I can't believe that Llandudno's main shopping area has only one shoplifting incident every six months.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #244 on: May 15, 2017, 12:27:10 pm »
Ha ha... Ian, I try to curtail my 'shouting' by 22.59pm, so not guilty M,lud.

Now, more seriously, Lloyd St is very central indeed, and the houses toward the Oval are very nice indeed, but you very quickly get into the Lloyd St near Londis which has all the multiple occupancy flats and bedsits.
The Townhouse and Cross Keys pubs are right there, not the most salubrious establishments (I should know, I go in them), and they can be noisy even after 1am.

I would happily live at the West End of Lloyd St, but less so the North, which is the big right in the centre of town.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline mondie

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #245 on: May 15, 2017, 09:12:44 pm »
Good discussion thanks  :D

I am sceptical of maps that plot data like this and Bri you are right to point out the scaling error. I am staying in a guest house in Trinity St at the moment and you definitely get a different feel for the streets by being just a few blocks closer to Mostyn St. Seems to be plenty of thicko loudmouths around at times, guess they are here for a lager holiday. It is good to hear the police apply a zero tolerance approach to any anti-social behaviour, that is an imperative I think to protect the town's main gig - tourism.

This map originally came up when I was searching for any arson reports on the house we are looking to rent which has had a shed fire. Locals will know it as the semi-detached property at the end of Lloyd st right next to the cricket ground.

Cheers

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #246 on: May 15, 2017, 10:47:48 pm »
I often park just by that house Mondie,  perfectly central between both shores when the town is busy and I've stuff to do.
Enjoy your new place!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #247 on: May 20, 2017, 04:05:52 pm »
Next to the Bowling Club, pop in for a game, or just watch the play. Ask for Eric  $walesflag$
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline Hugo

« Reply #248 on: May 21, 2017, 05:18:44 pm »
This vehicle's MOT expired nearly 7 years ago but what are the Police doing about it now?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #249 on: May 21, 2017, 05:32:21 pm »
Strange, still taxed but failed it's last mot back in 2009 !  How is it still on the road?

GOV.UK
Vehicle MOT History
BETA This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.
Check the MOT history of a vehicle
Registration number: EU03FGV

Vehicle makeMERCEDES Vehicle modelSPRINTER Date first used1 June 2003 Fuel typeDiesel ColourWhite

MOT history of this vehicle
Test date2 June 2009 Test ResultFail Odometer reading74,763 miles MOT test number5846 2375 9162 Reason(s) for failure
Nearside Headlamp aim aimed so that it dazzles other road users (1.8.A.1a)
Advisory notice item(s)
Front brake disc slightly pitted (3.5.1h)
Rear Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)
Rear Anti-roll bar rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Offside Front Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
Headlamp masks/converters fitted
signs of a fuel leak around top of fuel tank
presenter asked to remove items of dash and around mirror
Test date2 June 2009 Expiry date4 June 2010 Test ResultPass Odometer reading74,763 miles MOT test number1806 3375 9147 Advisory notice item(s)
Front brake disc slightly pitted (3.5.1h)
Rear Exhaust has part of the system slightly deteriorated (7.1.1a)
Rear Anti-roll bar rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
Offside Front Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
Headlamp masks/converters fitted
signs of a fuel leak around top of fuel tank
presenter asked to remove items of dash and around mirror
Test date2 June 2008 Expiry date4 June 2009 Test ResultPass Odometer reading64,976 miles MOT test number6310 2465 8104
Test date5 June 2007 Expiry date4 June 2008 Test ResultPass Odometer reading45,351 miles MOT test number2645 1625 7475
Test date5 June 2006 Expiry date4 June 2007 Test ResultPass Odometer reading28,156 miles MOT test number4923 4625 6182
Search again

Cookies  Terms and Conditions
Open Government Licence
All content is available under the Open Government Licence v2.0, except where otherwise stated

© Crown copyright
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #250 on: May 21, 2017, 05:38:11 pm »
It is not showing as insured either, perhaps it has been off the road for years and a computer system automatically pays the car tax?  All very odd! 

Offline Hugo

« Reply #251 on: May 21, 2017, 05:39:50 pm »
Very strange indeed ME      ???              This is a copy of the DVLA instructions but what can or will they do?

Report a vehicle with no MOT
Call the police’s non-emergency number to report a car, van, motorcycle or other vehicle that doesn’t have an MOT.
You need the vehicle’s:

number plate (registration)
make and model
colour
Telephone: 101
24-hour service
Find out about call charges

I've just checked the vehicle again using "car tax checker"  on the DVLA database and the vehicle is on the road.  The road tax is due on 1st June 2017  and the MOT   expired on 4th June 2010
It will be interesting to see what happens in June.

Offline Bosun

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #252 on: May 21, 2017, 06:01:20 pm »
Police vehicles maintained in an approved workshop do not require an MOT.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/declaration-of-exemption-from-mot
Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may have been given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #253 on: May 21, 2017, 06:47:21 pm »
That explains it then !

Offline Hugo

« Reply #254 on: May 21, 2017, 06:51:50 pm »
Thanks Bosun for posting the link, it was interesting to see all the other instances when vehicles don't need a MOT.