Author Topic: Police News & Announcements  (Read 150089 times)

Offline Ian

• Administrator
Re: Police News & Announcements
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2016, 07:18:34 am »
I think it's the other way round, as speedos in UK cars are set to 'underread', so if it shows 41 you're probably doing 39. It's that way on all our cars, certainly.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2016, 07:52:11 am »
Why do i always seem to be disagreeing with my friends on the forum. Dear young Hugo, there is plenty wrong with doing 30 in a 40.

Thanks Mike, it's a long time since I was called that!       The only reason I was behind the guy was because we had reached the double white lines and I couldn't overtake otherwise I would have done so.     But then the guy put his foot down and broke the speed limit coming down the hill, his driving was inconsistent unless of course he was messing about knowing I couldn't overtake previously on those double white lines

^*^0

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2016, 11:54:27 am »
Why do i always seem to be disagreeing with my friends on the forum. Dear young Hugo, there is plenty wrong with doing 30 in a 40. The cars behind may have a good reason to need to go drive close to the maximum. If you go for a test you are supposed to make "reasonable progress" and driving at 30 in a 40 is not reasonable progress. No, its not against the law. But it makes other drivers take risks. And at certain times of the day that stretch by the paddling pool has drivers continually doing it after around 9.30 in the morning. Its usually o.k before 9 a.m., regular drivers getting to work i suppose. But after 9.30 the non workers often of advancing years decide to take a leisurely trip into town, much to my annoyance on my way to the golf.
Precisely Mike!
I say, if the limit is 40mph, then do 41mph, they ain't going to 'do' you for that!

Wish you had told that to the speed camera at Towyn which 'copped' us for doing 32 mph !
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DVT

« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2016, 01:08:48 pm »
The problem with speed limits is they are fixed and take no account of conditions.

Drive at 29mph along Mostyn Street on a busy Saturday afternoon ... legal YES, safe NO!

Drive at 80mph along the A55 when it is quiet and no-one else around ... legal NO, safe YES!

Speed should be determined by the common sense of the driver, taking into account weather conditions, other road users and his/her own and the car capabilities ... but you cannot police for all that.

As for speedometers - I have approached the sign on the end of the dual carriageway out of Llandudno with my digital speedo steady on 40 - the camera tells me 37.  Most cars are up to 10% reading over what they're actually doing.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2016, 02:37:16 pm »
Spot on!  $good$ 
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #110 on: March 23, 2016, 01:00:58 am »
So... I should be OK doing 43 in a 40 zone then?  Whoo hoo!!
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2016, 01:07:34 pm »
North Wales driving instructor arrested on suspicion of fraud

Gareth Edwards, an investigator with the DVSA said the organisation urges all learners to ensure their instructor is qualified to teach by checking they display a valid DVSA badge in their windscreen.
He said: “Learners can also use the free Find a driving instructor service on GOV.UK to see details of their nearest instructors who are approved and registered with the DVSA.
“All approved driving instructors undergo regular assessments of their ability to teach and are also CRB checked.

A green badge shows that the instructor is fully qualified and undergoes regular DSA checks while a pink badge indicates a trainee who can teach for six months while acquiring teaching experience.
Badges should carry the instructor’s photograph, a unique reference number and an expiry date.
Learner drivers should check their instructor’s qualifications before getting into the car.

He said: “As a force we regularly advice people to check that taxis and private hire vehicles they travel in are appropriately registered. Passengers then have the confidence that the person driving that vehicle has been subjected to a process and a series of checks.

“It’s exactly the same with learner drivers. They’re getting into a vehicle with a stranger they may know nothing about.”

To report someone who you think is an illegal driving instructor phone DVSA on 0191 201 8120 or email fraudandintegrity@dsa.gsi.gov.uk

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-driving-instructor-arrested-11090623

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2016, 12:09:42 pm »
What you need to know as microchipping dogs becomes law

Dog owners have just one week left to get their pets microchipped.
On April 6, it will become a legal requirement for dogs to be microchipped in Wales so they can be added to a central database listing every pooch in the UK.

A microchip is roughly the size of a grain of rice and is implanted under the dog’s skin between its shoulder blades.
Each chip contains a unique 15-digit identification code that is listed on a national database which holds the owner’s contact details including phone number and address.
If a dog is lost or abandoned, the pet can be scanned for a chip and the owner’s details can be found immediately.

Any vet can microchip your pet with the average cost being about £20.
The Dogs Trust has also volunteered to fit microchips at its re-homing centres and community events before April 6.
You can also take your dogs and cats to the RSPCA’s Bryn-y-Maen Animal Centre in Upper Colwyn Bay.
Dog owners can also visit their nearest Pets at Home store , to get their pets microchipped.

If you are stopped by a council warden or police officer and they discover your dog is not microchipped you will be given an enforcement notice, giving you 21 days to comply with the law.
Anyone who fails to do so can face a fine of up to £500.

If you move home or change your phone number you must also contact the database, if you fail to keep your details up to date you can also face a £500 fine.
MORE   http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/what-you-need-know-microchipping-11111654

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2016, 12:25:46 pm »
Just seen the dreaded speed tax camera van on the road from Penrhyn Bay to Llandrillo College, not in it's usual position near the college, this time it is parked off the road behind a wall near the houses at the Penrhyn Bay end of the road, driving from the college towards Penrhyn Bay it will be tricky to spot, very sneaky! Luckily most drivers flash lights to warn others!

Offline Neil

« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2016, 12:53:04 pm »
I got caught last year when the van was facing towards Penrhyn Bay, Came off the small roundabout gave it a bit of gas, 36 mph, and one of the most boring days of my life as punishment.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2016, 01:12:22 pm »
I got caught last year when the van was facing towards Penrhyn Bay, Came off the small roundabout gave it a bit of gas, 36 mph, and one of the most boring days of my life as punishment.
Speed Awareness course?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Neil

« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2016, 02:09:42 pm »
Yes, and the £85 cost, for doing 36 mph on a road that should have a 40mph limit in my opinion.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2016, 02:12:42 pm »
Agreed, it should be a 40 limit, I think it was years ago?

Offline Neil

« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2016, 02:34:10 pm »
I don't know about that, I have only lived in the area for five years.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2016, 05:15:45 pm »
Part of the road was in fact de-restricted. They then made it 40, now it's 30.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.