Author Topic: manderlin,llandudno junction  (Read 8396 times)

Offline lorri

• my dad in his younger days from llandudno
manderlin,llandudno junction
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:07:17 pm »
sorry to be a pain but its me again asking if anyone knows or has heard of the the name manderlin? my dad was sent a photo which was took in the very early 60's might of even been late 50's and the address on the back was manderlin,llandudno junction,conway,north wales.its a photo of him in a pub with 2 friends so maybe it could of been a pub they was in ? does anyone know anything on this address? ive added the back of the photo just incase my eyesight aint good and ive spelt it wrong  ;D thanks 

Offline lorri

Re: manderlin,llandudno junction
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 06:32:48 pm »
the address...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:49:40 pm »
The pub in Llandudno Junction is called Maelgwyn, which isnt a million miles away from Manderlin in appearance.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 09:56:44 pm »
Well done, DaveR.  Y^^Y $3towns$

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 10:06:16 pm »
its a photo of him in a pub with 2 friends so maybe it could of been a pub they was in ?
Are you able to post the photo? It would be interesting to see.

Offline lorri

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 11:01:21 pm »
thanks again and this is the photo my dad jimmy is the one on the right

Offline poppy

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 11:47:42 pm »
Looks like Rick Astley in the middle.  :)

Offline lorri

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 10:06:00 am »
 :laugh: he does dont he,i didnt notice that before,mind you he wasnt around then it was about 1959/1960 i think.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 10:17:43 am »
A small clue...Your Dad is drinking beer from Ind Coope and the (original) Maelgwyn was an Ind Coope pub:

[smg id=443]

Offline lorri

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 10:56:18 am »
Thanks again Dave i cant wait to show my dad this site when he calls round today,i rang him last night and told him of all the info and photo's on here its a brill site and glad i found it,we been trying to find things out for nearly 30 years been really hard has my dad is trying to find out his past due to being in blodwel childrens home,he only remembers a few things and we only have a couple of photo's of his dad and of himself when he was a young lad and yet within a few days ive found so much out thanks to this site,keep up the fantastic work on here,and thanks again and if anyone remembers my dad please get in touch  $thanx$ :)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 01:30:48 pm »
Hope the photos and info might trigger more memories for your Dad. If he or you have anything else you'd like us to try and find out, please fire away.  :)

Offline lorri

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 01:57:31 pm »
Just to let you know that with the help of this site and all the brilliant information we received,we have after 30 years located my dads step-sister and we are now founding out all the missing links in my dads younger days spent in llandudno and colwyn bay  $thanx$ $walesflag$

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 02:28:44 pm »
Lorri, the Maelgwyn Pub in your Dad's time was on the Conwy side of the Llandudno Junction Railway level crossing.  You could get to it by walking on the road over the level crossing but if the gates were shut there was a metal pedestrian bridge that crossed over the Railway line.
The pub was just over the bridge and was the only building there and you couldn't miss it.
If it's the same place then your Dad must be able to remember the location.
Dave has posted some photos of the old pub somewhere on the forum so you will be able to see what it looked like in those days.
The pub was demolished to make way for the flyover that is still there and a new pub was built in the centre of Llandudno and adopted the  name of the original pub. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 02:30:23 pm »
Just to let you know that with the help of this site and all the brilliant information we received,we have after 30 years located my dads step-sister and we are now founding out all the missing links in my dads younger days spent in llandudno and colwyn bay  $thanx$ $walesflag$
That's excellent news, well done!  $good$

Offline lorri

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 04:20:40 pm »
thanks hugo,dave has shown me the photo's you mention my dad says he remembers it and remembers drinking in there now he has seen a photo he says its changed so much in the junction now he use to know his way around  :) he was also saying yesterday they use to hang out at a lido in delgwany (think i spelt it right) he actually had me going up the main road from the junction to delgwany on google last night to show me where he seemed to remember it was,he says he remembers having some laughs in there,does anyone remember a lido in the 1950/60's time ? because i couldnt find it on google  :(