Author Topic: Alice in Wonderland in Happy Valley  (Read 12259 times)

Offline jemima

Re: Alice in Wonderland in Happy Valley
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2011, 08:54:53 pm »
And I found the attached  in a box at home - apologies for quality, scanned copy of a 45year old negative!

Offline Welshmunchkin

• Peace can only be achieved by understanding
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2011, 12:10:37 am »
I remember this well from my childhood in the 1950's. I always loved the cheshire cat which grinned down from a tree, and the house where Alice grew big and sprouted out of the chimney! I read a few years ago in the Weekly news that some of the characters were still in storage, and at the time there was talk of reviving the display, but children were not so sophisticated in the 1950's, and I'm not sure whether it would work now. It would probably be full of biddies reliving their childhood while the young chldren wait outside playing on their Nintendos and the older ones try to work out  how many  stones they would have to throw to explode the cat!
The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.  --Stephen Hawking

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know - it's me!    --John G. Miller

Offline Chris H

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 09:11:46 pm »
Weren't the figures brought down into the town during the winter months and set on roundabouts at the major intersections?  O r is my memory playing tricks...  ???

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 04:56:01 pm »
I doubt it because most of them were mega heavy. If you dont believe me, the table that they all sat around for the tea party---that is still in its original position in the happy valley. Just imagine how many would be vandals that have had a go at that, and all been beaten' There are one or two other bits and bobs, I think the teapot is still around

Offline Ludo

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2012, 10:05:09 pm »
Weren't the figures brought down into the town during the winter months and set on roundabouts at the major intersections?  O r is my memory playing tricks...  ???

Hi Chris, Yes this is definitely so - I remember them well. They formed part of the Christmas illuminations for a few years and I remember them on the roundabout at the top of Mostyn Street the year Magical Mystery Tour by the Beatles was released and the film was on the telly at Christmas - 1967 I think....

Magical days indeed!
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 02:38:13 pm »
I found these this week whilst looking for something else. Not sure if they are in Happy Valley or elsewhere , date? probably late 50s. Anyone any clues?
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2012, 08:34:00 pm »
A new Alice feature has appeared in Happy Valley, a Reading Chair and some Toadstool seats:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 09:06:32 pm »
The Alice bandstand appeared today. It seems a little small and not in proportion?