Author Topic: Room with a view  (Read 249219 times)

Offline SAJ

• Management board member
Re: Room with a view
« Reply #750 on: September 12, 2021, 04:55:39 pm »
MOH and I recently spent a relaxing week in St Dogmaels, Pembrokeshire in a cottage at the side of the river Teifi. Here’s an early morning view from the upstairs window of the cottage. Lots of wading birds and a multitude of extremely noisy geese who ensured that we didn’t oversleep! The Ferry Inn was 2 minutes walk away where it was possible to enjoy a meal on the decking overlooking the river.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #751 on: September 13, 2021, 04:07:58 pm »
Thanks for posting that lovely photo SAJ.     It was nice to see and hear about other places, especially as we are not travelling as much nowadays.              $good$

Offline SAJ

« Reply #752 on: September 13, 2021, 05:47:31 pm »
No problem Hugo. Here are a couple more of the river and mill pond in the village. The mill is still working but currently closed to the public. It is possible to buy their products at the weekly market held near the abbey ruins.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #753 on: September 14, 2021, 10:43:16 am »
St Dogmaels, Pembrokeshire certainly sounds like a nice place to live in or to visit

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/north-wales-villages-named-among-21562106

Offline hollins

« Reply #754 on: September 14, 2021, 01:09:59 pm »
SAJ it was lovely to see your beautiful holiday cottage view. I have always enjoyed seeing people's holiday pics.
We too have had a nice break last month in Pembrokeshire. We stayed in a hotel in St David's that was converted from a windmill and this was the view from the tower at the top.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #755 on: September 14, 2021, 02:49:05 pm »
St David's has a nice atmosphere about it and it must have been a lovely place to stay,   but those coloured windows!          :o

I hope that they didn't give you a migraine

Offline hollins

« Reply #756 on: September 14, 2021, 03:17:35 pm »
No, don't worry the coloured windows are only in the lookout tower at the very top, not in the room!
I did have a bit of a claim to fame whilst walking along the coast path although maybe not many of you on here watch North West Tonight.
Walking right towards us on the path was Owain Wyn Evans with his husband and Carol Vorderman. He is the weatherman on North West Tonight and a keen drummer. He was very friendly and posed for a photo with me for my mum who is a big fan.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #757 on: September 14, 2021, 03:46:03 pm »
It's a lovely looking building Hollins despite those windows and I'm pleased that you had a good holiday down there.    It was nice of Owain to pose for you but what about posting one of Carol for the lads!
She seems to be in the DP every day posting selfies of herself on her holiday in Wales.     She was trying out paddle boarding and one unkind person made the comment   " not again!     I hope she doesn't fall off the board as there is too much plastic in the sea already"

Offline SAJ

« Reply #758 on: September 14, 2021, 03:57:29 pm »
Looks like it’s a very interesting building and meeting Owain, well, he’s a star and very suave dresser. Haven’t met anyone that interesting on walks but I was once in a lift at Coleg Harlech with Dafydd Wigley!

Offline hollins

« Reply #759 on: September 14, 2021, 04:51:11 pm »
Sorry Hugo, no pics of Carol. We felt a bit awful afterwards because all the attention was given to Owain!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #760 on: September 14, 2021, 05:08:45 pm »
Sorry Hugo, no pics of Carol. We felt a bit awful afterwards because all the attention was given to Owain!

So we had the choice of this guy or Carole Vorderman,  and we get this guy?

?{}? ?{}?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline SAJ

« Reply #761 on: November 27, 2021, 05:34:47 pm »
Missenden Abbey

MOH and I recently spent a few day in Great Missenden, Buckinghamshire where we were visiting family. We stayed at  Missenden Abbey which is primarily a Conference Centre with accommodation located mainly within the Coach House. The Abbey is set in wooded grounds and was founded in the 12th century.

Roald Dahl lived in Great Missenden for many years and is buried in the churchyard but sadly, the museum was closed during our stay but we did visit the churchyard where BFG footprints lead down to the grave from a memorial bench.

The Abbey had a Festive Illuminations trail that led through the grounds and appeared to be very popular with local families.

Offline hollins

« Reply #762 on: November 27, 2021, 07:00:04 pm »
Fabulous, love those windows!

Offline SAJ

« Reply #763 on: November 27, 2021, 08:27:28 pm »
It was definitely a very interesting place to stay, not expensive, decent breakfast and bar meals. Love anywhere with a bit of history and as I studied the English Civil War at Uni, was fascinated to see the attached above the bar.

Offline hollins

« Reply #764 on: June 27, 2022, 01:08:01 pm »
Back from a week in a holiday cottage in Findochty on the Moray Coast.  First photo is the view from the bedroom window but this was one of the few houses in the villages we visited that faced the sea. Many houses had their gable ends facing the sea presumably to protect them from the weather and maybe because the fishermen had seen enough of the sea! Quite different to the North Wales coast where a sea view is at a premium and not that many tourists up there. Still plenty of working fishing boats.
We spent our time walking along the coast path visiting Portknockie, Cullen and Portsoy where parts of Peaky Blinders was filmed.
The third photo is Cullen taken from castle hill.