Author Topic: Room with a view  (Read 249233 times)

Offline hollins

• Management board member
Re: Room with a view
« Reply #735 on: February 18, 2020, 02:47:29 pm »
Congratulations Mr and Mrs Hugo on your Golden Wedding Anniversary!
What a lovely romantic break. 

Online Hugo

« Reply #736 on: February 18, 2020, 03:54:21 pm »
Thanks Bri  & Hollins,   we had a lovely south facing balcony on the 2nd floor but couldn't take advantage of it because of the storm and the horizontal rain.     Hopefully the weather will be better next time

Online Hugo

« Reply #737 on: March 22, 2020, 12:05:27 pm »
We haven't been able to go on foreign holidays for a number of years but now because of the Coivid 19 we couldn't or wouldn't want to go anyway.
In the past though I've really enjoyed people posting their holiday photos on here as  it is nice to see where people have been to and especially those of the mountains and lakes of Switzerland that Hollins used to post.
It must be so frustrating for regular travellers who cannot go on their normal holidays

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #738 on: March 22, 2020, 01:07:20 pm »
It is a shame Hugo, especially as the new cheaper flights were about to be released  ;)

Offline hollins

« Reply #739 on: March 22, 2020, 01:22:05 pm »
I have always enjoyed looking at where people have been to on this thread. The Swiss village that we visit has also had to close everything apart from the Coop, bakery and pharmacy. You have to have a number before you can go into the Coop. Here's a photo from our last trip end Feb. Goodness knows when we will be able to go again.

Online Hugo

« Reply #740 on: March 22, 2020, 03:14:29 pm »
Thanks for posting that photo Hollins because even if we can't visit there now it is always nice to see the scenery.and it gives a boost to anyone looking at the photos
I don't know how you will cope without your lovely holidays and I hope that Mr H can continue with his walks in this country, that's if it hasn't already been spoilt by Saturday's action on Snowdon

Rhuddlan, my walking mate has had holidays in the Sun in January,  February and March this year  but I don't know how he is going to survive April without his monthly fix     

Online Hugo

« Reply #741 on: March 22, 2020, 04:22:01 pm »
It has been a beautifully sunny day today and I took this photo of Rhos on Sea from my house earlier today

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #742 on: March 22, 2020, 04:35:27 pm »
Great photo Hugo, it's Been a cracking day, spent most of it just sitting feeling the warmth..............
..... NOT ANY MORE, SOME CLOWN, HAS LIT A BONFIRE, A SLOW BURNING SMOKEY ONE TOO, NOT ONLY HAVE WE HAD TO LEAVE THE GARDEN, WE HAVE HAD TO CLOSE THE HOUSE UP, SELFISH, IGNORANT ............    $pain$       $angry$        :(            $angry2$
sorry to spoil the scene.

Online Hugo

« Reply #743 on: March 22, 2020, 05:15:03 pm »
That's so annoying for you Steve and the smell gets every where in the house.

We had a woman in the street who had regular bonfires burning everything including plastic and she didn't have a thought for anyone else,
Once when the wind was in the opposite direction her next door neighbour had a fire and she was the first person to complain about the smoke

Myself, I went into the sun lounge this afternoon and by the time the temperature hit 30 C  I was well and truly asleep and nothing could disturb me

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #744 on: March 22, 2020, 05:40:27 pm »
Great photo Hugo, it's Been a cracking day, spent most of it just sitting feeling the warmth..............
..... NOT ANY MORE, SOME CLOWN, HAS LIT A BONFIRE, A SLOW BURNING SMOKEY ONE TOO, NOT ONLY HAVE WE HAD TO LEAVE THE GARDEN, WE HAVE HAD TO CLOSE THE HOUSE UP, SELFISH, IGNORANT ............    $pain$       $angry$        :(            $angry2$
sorry to spoil the scene.

You have my sympathy Steve, we have a similar neighbour who delights I burning his rubbish, leaving 6ft high flames un-attended at bed time. He has made himself very unpopular locally.
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline SAJ

« Reply #745 on: March 22, 2020, 06:24:36 pm »
As an antidote to all that smoke, (we suffer it here in our village in rural Flintshire too), here is a calming view from 2018 when MOH and I spent a week sailing round Svalbard on a 3-masted schooner. No luxury cruise but quite eco-friendly and with stunning scenery.

Online Hugo

« Reply #746 on: March 22, 2020, 06:50:03 pm »
A really stunning photo  SAJ       $good$

I had to Google where it was, but it sounds like you had a fantastic adventure.   

Offline SAJ

« Reply #747 on: March 22, 2020, 06:56:25 pm »
Hi Hugo, best trip ever. Having been born and bred in Llandudno, with the sight, sound and smell of the sea never more than a couple of hundred yards or so from home, I am drawn to the sea. My dreams are more often than not of travelling on the water in some vessel or other. Took me a while to understand that there were other places to walk to inland!

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #748 on: September 08, 2020, 08:59:30 pm »
We’ve just returned from two nights in Chester, a town we have always loved visiting.
I couldn’t wait to get there, a change of scenery after being cooped up in Llandudno for six months.

However, what I saw there shocked me.
There are way more shops closed down there, than in Llandudno.
Any of the smaller shops are doing no business, and are closing early.
The shopping areas are quite depressing.
The large stores like Next and Debenhams are piled high with merchandise, but it’s all old ranges... very few browsers, and queues of people returning things, not buying them.  That’s because you can no longer try on clothes in stores.  This is totally unsustainable.
The doorways are full of homeless folk, or piles of bedding awaiting their return.
Zombie like folk with drug problems are very prevalent in the streets.
All the little bars, and large chains of bars are either closed down permanently, or closed by 9.30pm.

The little cafes and tea rooms which are open still, have very little on offer, as it’s too expensive to waste it.

The only saving grace, a superb meal in a half full Piccolino’s, restricted due to Covid... and surrounded by bars, all closed down!

I’m not sure whether this in post Brexit Britain I’m seeing, or Covid Britain, or a mixture of both... but I don’t like it.    I don’t like it one bit.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #749 on: September 09, 2020, 10:50:20 am »
It's really sobering; in March the country almost stopped functioning and, even now, is marking time. Combine that with the laziest and most inept PM in as long as I can remember and the doom-laden talk of an impending, deal-less Brexit, seems a recipe for disaster.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.