Author Topic: Room with a view  (Read 249424 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Room with a view
« Reply #705 on: April 29, 2018, 10:13:32 pm »
I was going to say Billy Zane stayed there but then realised that he isn't as famous as you.    ;D       Those hills?  could it be in the Wrexham area?

The Worthenbury Manor and the Grosvenor Pulford Manor look like nice hotels if you are in that area

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #706 on: April 29, 2018, 11:32:16 pm »
looks like Minera mountain in the first photo,as this place got two golf courses Carden Park perhaps

Offline hollins

« Reply #707 on: April 30, 2018, 07:32:41 am »
No, I am much deeper into Wales at Llangoed Hall between Builth Wells and Brecon. The drive here almost all on the A470 was spectacular, 100 miles or so of beautiful unspoilt countryside and villages.
I was at a yarn fair at the Royal Welsh Showground and today I am going to visit the National Botanic Garden of Wales.
The hotel was owned by Bernard Ashley, husband of Laura Ashley. When he died the family sold it to Von Essen hotels which went bust so I think they had a difficult time then.
Pleased to say the place is still looking fabulous. They have a wonderful private collection of paintings.
The famous guest the waiter was telling me about was Theresa May!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #708 on: June 05, 2018, 12:37:04 pm »
Just back from a lovely holiday at the Athena Beach Hotel in Pafos, Cyprus. Lovely weather, great hotel, fantastic staff.  :)  8)

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #709 on: June 05, 2018, 12:45:57 pm »
Very nice, DaveR.

Is that the hotel with a few artificial surface flat bowling greens onsite?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #710 on: June 06, 2018, 08:46:41 am »
Very nice, DaveR.

Is that the hotel with a few artificial surface flat bowling greens onsite?
That's the one, Bri. They seem to have a lot of bowling tournaments out of season.

Where did you stay?

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #711 on: June 06, 2018, 06:01:01 pm »
We stayed a couple of time a few doors down in the Louis Phaethon Beach Club when the kids were younger?

I will always remember walking up to a bar near you to watch a football match and talking to a Mr Trevor Whyatt who informed me he used to be the Conwy Harbour Master.

Small world !!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #712 on: June 18, 2018, 11:54:04 am »
Just had a little break at the Grosvenor Pulford outside Chester. Great hotel and the Spa there is fantastic - highly recommended.

Offline hollins

« Reply #713 on: September 14, 2018, 04:41:31 pm »
I was in Switzerland again recently and found a lovely area not far from Lucerne that I hadn't been to before. My original reason for going was to visit the Lang factory shop. Lang being a Swiss company with gorgeous yarns for my knitting and crochet which I am still addicted to.
I found a super hotel nearby and this was the incredibly beautiful view from it overlooking Lake Sempach.
Only an hour to Basel airport where I was flying back from.

Offline hollins

« Reply #714 on: October 05, 2018, 07:18:11 pm »
We are back from a week in the Peak District staying in one of the cottages on the Chatsworth Estate which are available for holiday lets.
We stayed in Russian Cottage, so unique and has a good story about it's history.
"The Cottage was built following a gift of a model of a Russian Farm to the 6th Duke of Devonshire in 1855 from the brother of Tsar Nicholas of Russia. The Tsar and the 6th Duke had become friends following the Duke's visit to Russia in 1816 when he served as the British Ambassador to the Coronation. An exchange visit in 1844 was planned but unfortunately the Tsar had to cancel his visit. Instead the Duke was sent an intricate model of a Russian farmhouse as a reminder and keepsake, from which came the inspiration to build Russian Cottage."
We did exactly the walk that Hugo rather uncannily described in the quiz section. We walked past two of the other cottages for rent, the Hunting Tower and Swiss Cottage which looked fantastic.

Offline hollins

« Reply #715 on: December 10, 2018, 02:15:27 pm »
Room with a view/quiz question. Where is this?

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #716 on: December 10, 2018, 04:05:38 pm »
Dubai?
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #717 on: December 10, 2018, 04:50:58 pm »
 No, not Dubai, not far away though.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #718 on: December 10, 2018, 05:26:23 pm »
Is it the Fairmont Marina Residence in Abu Dhabi?

Offline hollins

« Reply #719 on: December 10, 2018, 06:01:41 pm »
Oh, thanks for that Hugo. I was looking at that building today and was wondering what was in it!  ;D
Yes, Abu Dhabi for my December jaunt this time. This is my abode.