Author Topic: Room with a view  (Read 249172 times)

Offline Hugo

• Management board member
Re: Room with a view
« Reply #675 on: July 19, 2017, 02:48:53 pm »
Lovely photos and colours Hollins, is the second photo taken from that hotel in Saundersfoot that you previously stayed at?

Offline hollins

« Reply #676 on: July 19, 2017, 03:18:52 pm »
Yes, thanks Hugo. St Brides hotel. A great place to watch the world go by!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Ryanair cuts cabin baggage allowance
« Reply #677 on: September 06, 2017, 11:06:16 am »
Ryanair has said many customers will no longer be able to take two pieces of luggage into the cabin.
The budget airline said passengers without priority boarding would have to put their second bag in the hold free of charge at the gate.
For bigger bags Ryanair is cutting fees from £35 to £25 to encourage customers to check in more luggage.
Ryanair said it was making the changes from November to ease delays after too many customers took two bags on board.

MORE     http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41171871

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #678 on: September 12, 2017, 12:39:43 am »
Greetings from Madeira.
Our first time here, and this is Reid's Hotel, famous for being Winston Churchill's home from home.
Proper colonial splendour, and unashamed luxury.

Nope, we aren't staying here, wish we were, (out of my price range) but calling in for a cocktail or a nibble, the service and quality is simply first class.
It's owned by Belmond, who also own the Orient Express, so the same standards apply throughout.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #679 on: September 12, 2017, 04:28:57 am »
Excuse me, Fester, but that is our table.  $good$

Enjoy Madeira.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 07:15:20 am by Ian »

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #680 on: September 12, 2017, 10:49:11 am »
Amazing Bri!  8)
Yes, it's a beautiful island.
The nightlife down in Funchal, Old Town, is so vibrant.

Did you do the cable cars?
Fester...

Offline Hugo

« Reply #681 on: September 12, 2017, 11:47:35 am »
I bet Rhuddlan could see you enjoying that delicious looking afternoon tea as he's staying in a high rise hotel opposite.   $good$
It is a lovely island to visit and has a nice atmosphere but I wouldn't fancy driving there, especially on the north west coastal road.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #682 on: September 12, 2017, 12:00:37 pm »
It certainly is, Hugo.

Fester, we were only there overnight just before last Xmas and chose the Ho Ho bus rather than the cable cars.

We will do the cable cars next time as well as the sleigh ride down.

Yes, we loved it down in the town as well.

They definitely know how  to attract tourists at Xmas which put our town to shame..  VV %0%

Offline Hugo

« Reply #683 on: September 12, 2017, 12:07:02 pm »
Rhuddlan has just sent me this photo of Reid's that was taken from his balcony.    It's a shame that he didn't know that you were there Fester as I'm sure that he would have treated you to that afternoon tea.        ;D

Offline hollins

« Reply #684 on: September 12, 2017, 12:57:30 pm »
Really enjoying these Madeira photos and bringing back some nice memories of holidays we had there. Both times we have had a car and done walking holidays on the levadas but the last one was Xmas 2005 when we stayed in Ponta Do Sol.
Yes, the driving was hairy as was the walking in some parts!
Like you Fester we have only been to Reids for a drink but a spectacular place to have one.
I must say Mrs F is looking very glamorous. Hope you continue to enjoy yourselves.
I loved the flower market in Funchal and I also remember going in June I think when the jacaranda trees were flowering which was a wonderful sight.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #685 on: September 12, 2017, 02:59:21 pm »
Hugo, I'm assuming he's in the Pestana Carlton then?  Judging from the angle and height?
Fester...

Offline Hugo

« Reply #686 on: September 12, 2017, 03:10:56 pm »
I'm afraid that I don't know the name of the hotel but it must be a big one as he's on the 18th floor      :o

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #687 on: September 12, 2017, 03:16:10 pm »
You're welcome, Bri.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #688 on: September 12, 2017, 03:22:52 pm »
Hollins, we were there probably in the early 1990's and at that time they didn't have the cable car and they didn't even have a main road connecting the north of the island to Funchal.    On the north west of the island was a single track road, although it was  two way traffic and hardly any passing places and a sheer 300 foot drop into the sea on one side of the road.
The road was featured in one of the James Bond movies and showed a waterfall falling on to the road and James Bond driving through it in a BMW convertible.
My friend who was an advanced Police driver and also drove for the American Embassy thought better of it and left his driving licence at home as he wasn't taking any chances

Offline hollins

« Reply #689 on: September 12, 2017, 04:02:35 pm »
Yes, I think our other visit was at least 5yrs prior to the 2005 one and I was amazed how the roads had changed with long tunnels replacing some of the older roads. I think they were subsidised with a load of money from the EU.