Author Topic: Switzerland  (Read 73257 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Switzerland
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2015, 10:41:51 pm »
There are many advantages of living in Switzerland.....   Oh I'm not going to bother, it never gets a laugh.

I notice that someone seems to have scaled the mountain outside your hotel room, and painted the top bit gold??
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2015, 07:08:37 am »
 _))*

Kept doing it all morning, too :-)))

Snowcap: could you see the orignal photo?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2015, 03:04:30 pm »
It was white, not gold, the last time we were there.

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2015, 08:27:01 pm »
yes ian there were two one on top of the other, if that helps

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2015, 10:53:39 am »
yes ian there were two one on top of the other, if that helps

It does indeed.  Thanks.

Looking at the photos of the Matterhorn this feat seems unbelievable!          :o
Funny thing, Hugo, but the Matterhorn isn't that difficult a climb.  The Eiger is far harder apparently. We got up to 13,000 feet on Thursday and it was not only rather warm, despite our being surrounded by deep snow, but also totally silent, with a single raptor flying about.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2015, 11:17:59 am »
It's the under 3 hours that amazes me Ian, it takes me that time to walk over the Great Orme although I do stop for a coffee sometimes.     :)

I'm pleased that you're getting out and  about and got up to 13,000 feet up on the Eiger.      We went up the Eiger some years ago but I can't remember how high we went to, but it wasn't to the top as the cable car didn't go that far.      ;D
I can remember the coffee that we had at the chalet there though, plenty of cream and a lot of Brandy too.     $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2015, 11:51:48 am »
There are many different routes up the Matterhorn varying in difficulty. To put in into perspective Mr Hollins climbed it the "easy" way along the Hornli ridge and it took them 6 hours to reach the summit and even longer to descend when one of their party, an experienced climber became very frightened on the way down. The weather also plays a big part.
The guy in Hugo's article ascended via the Italian side which is harder.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2015, 01:51:34 pm »
Anyone who can climb the Matterhorn has my complete admiration, but I hope that you have your action man hubby well insured Hollins!    ;D
I can understand that experienced climber being frightened on the way down on that mountain as this short clip shows how dangerous it could be.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDwQtwIwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvAeHysSVMUk&ei=sNFAVZ2-IeTC7gaLm4DAAg&usg=AFQjCNFZAfqsmBtfmorVB6P2ClgttQMA1Q

Offline hollins

« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2015, 04:39:14 pm »
Amazing video Hugo.
Yes, I have had my share of stressful moments with action man!
Fortunately nothing worse than two broken ankles, one for each leg and not at the same time.
He has a master plan to climb all the 4000m peaks. He has done 37 of them out of a possible 62 but he has been stuck on 37 for some years now.

Offline hollins

« Reply #130 on: June 06, 2015, 02:20:14 pm »
A friend sent us this photo this morning looking towards the Matterhorn from Saint-Luc in Switzerland. Amazing how different it looks from another angle.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2015, 12:06:43 am »
I just thought it was a white snooker ball!!   :o
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline hollins

« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2015, 07:51:10 pm »
Here is one of my trivia posts while there is a gap between the more serious local ones.

Last week we were in Switzerland and one day we took a ride up in the cable car to the Engstligenalp.
This is a quite magical place and we were lucky to see it in beautiful weather.
This alp is the largest plateau in the Western Swiss Alps and is about 2000 metres above sea level.
They take the cows up there on a very steep winding path in June and you can buy cheese from the small farms up there.

Offline hollins

« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2015, 07:58:49 pm »
A few more pics on the Alp.

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #134 on: July 04, 2015, 08:02:51 pm »
Looks lovely Hollins - wish I could find the 'like' button! :) ;)