Author Topic: Switzerland  (Read 73255 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Switzerland
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 05:46:01 pm »
What's that building in your first pic on the 28th June, H? The one with the large tower?

Offline hollins

• Management board member
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 06:04:50 pm »
It's the castle/museum at Spiez which is on lake Thun in the Bernese Oberland.
It is a gorgeous spot. You can look around inside. I have been up that very tower.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 02:50:48 pm »
You're a lucky devil Hollins, you seem to have had more holidays than Judith Charmers ever had! 
All the places you've been to seem to be really nice, don't forget to post some more photos because I'd love to see them.        $good$

Offline hollins

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 06:24:44 pm »
Thank you for your interest Hugo. I am always a bit worried about posting about my travels because it isn't anything to do with the 3 Towns. I don't suppose Dave R and Ian would have put in a subject headed, "Travel, been anywhere nice?" if they didn't want subjects like that on here. I hope they will tell me if it isn't really a suitable topic.
I can't really contribute many things on the local subjects because I am new to the area but I do not want to only take and not give.
It is a lot easier and cheaper to travel in Europe now than in Judith Chalmers days!
I have spent the last couple of days in and around Basel courtesy of a £77 return air fare from Manchester to Basel with British Midland. Remarkable really when you think what it would have cost 15 or so years ago before the start of easyjet.
The first 4 pics are in Basel itself. The first two the town hall, the third is part of the roof of the cathedral and the fourth just a beautiful door!
The second set are of a hotel called Bad Schauenburg about 15 kms outside Basel.
The weather was glorious, bright sun and 31 degrees!

Offline hollins

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 06:26:38 pm »
4 more.

Offline Hugo

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 06:40:11 pm »
Keep posting them Hollins, the photos are lovely to see and you always seem to go to some beautiful places.       $good$
We used to go abroad for our holidays but with my wife's illness we cannot do that any longer but still we make the most of it with trips in this country.
Basle was the first airport we ever landed at but we didn't see much of the town because our destination was the Austrian Tyrol and the resort of Seefeld.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Offline hollins

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 06:43:30 pm »
Thanks Hugo. I am back home now, landed 20 mins early.
Sorry you can't get around as much now but we are so lucky that there are so many lovely places to see without going far at all.

Offline hollins

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2011, 11:43:34 pm »
Hello there.
This time I am in Zurich celebrating my husbands 60th.
The first two pics are of the Sprungli cafe which is Zurich's equivalent of Betty's.
It is celebrating it's 175 year anniversary this year.
The birthday treat was a trip to the opera to see Rigoletto ( see last pic). I am not keen on opera but have sat through plenty!
The band playing live by the lake is more my cup of tea.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 08:06:22 am »
All looks lovely, H,  I'm jealous!

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 09:23:33 am »
It looks wonderful, Hollins, particularly the dessert!  (It's a nice artistic photo of it, too.)

Have a lovely time and wish your husband a belated happy birthday. 

We'll look forward to seeing more photos. 

Offline hollins

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2011, 05:18:56 pm »
Thanks Blodyn. Yes, we had a good night. We stayed in the building with the letters on, on the right of the first photo in the lovely old town.
The third photo is of particular interest to me. I collect old umbrellas and this is a picture of an umbrella factory right in the heart of the old town. I wonder how many years that has been there?
I don't think there are  many manufacturers left in city centres in the UK. Maybe some in London?
One nice story which is typically Swiss. When we picked up the tickets for the opera at the box office the assistant said, "These are not very good seats, I will give you better ones."
We ended up with a great view right in the middle.
Next opera we are going to is in Llandudno in November!

Offline Trojan

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 12:08:19 pm »
I don't think there are  many manufacturers left in city centres in the UK. Maybe some in London?

James Ince are still going strong in Hackney.

http://www.jamesince.co.uk/html/about_us.html

Offline hollins

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 03:14:57 pm »
Thanks for that Trojan. It is good to know.

Offline hollins

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 04:39:09 pm »
A few more Swiss views.
Do you see this orange flower on the Orme?
I think you see the goat but maybe not with it's bell!

Offline Blodyn

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 05:46:43 pm »
We've got the orange flower (orange hawkweed) in the Three Towns area.  Stephenprudence tells us the hawkweeds originate from the Mediterranean, so they're obviously getting about a bit.  The edelweiss looks beautiful. 

The cow and goat look very placid - I'm not sure what our Great Orme goats would think about the bells!