Author Topic: Night Photography  (Read 58959 times)

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
Re: Night Photography
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 01:57:15 pm »
With point and and shoot cameras, it is possible to decent night shots but its certainly a lot trickier! Best thing is to try and get the Auto Focus to lock on a source of light somewhere in the scene you are taking the photo of. Without that, the Auto Focus cant operate and you'll get out of focus images. Also a good idea to try and balance the camera on a wall, litter bin, railing etc as the camera will knock the shutter speed right down due to the low light, again making hand held shots very likely to be blurred.

I'll try that, I've got a decent camera (Olympus SP-500UZ) but find the instructions baffling and tend to keep it on AF, I'm clueless about shutter speeds and white balance etc. Seem to get decent shots now and again and use the edit facility quite a lot. Having said that I'v just bought myself a pocket sized  camera for £60 and seem to be getting decent shots from that too!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 02:00:56 pm by suepp »

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 02:08:24 pm »
Just looking through the tele mag and see there is a programme on Channel 5 at 7-30 tonight about photography it`s in 6 parts. Just thought it may be of some interest to Dave R or Hugo.
Thanks, Barbiroli.  :) Best let Ian know too, he's got a lot to learn about photography...   L0L

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 02:17:04 pm »
I'll try that, I've got a decent camera (Olympus SP-500UZ) but find the instructions baffling and tend to keep it on AF, I'm clueless about shutter speeds and white balance etc. Seem to get decent shots now and again and use the edit facility quite a lot. Having said that I'v just bought myself a pocket sized  camera for £60 and seem to be getting decent shots from that too!
Giving a camera on auto works fine most of the time as long as the light is decent, but they do struggle badly at night time, even on the night setting (the little half moon symbol). With your Olympus, you should try it on S setting (shutter priority) which is like Auto but you have control over the Shutter speed. Depending on how dark it is or how much light is entering the frame, you could set the shutter on anything from 1/50th sec down to 1/10th sec and see how it goes. The great thing about digital camera is you can take shot after shot without it costing you anything, so you could try taking  the same photo at a whole range of shutter speeds and see what works and what doesn't. It's the best way to learn.

I just bought (yet) another camera, a pocket sized Nikon S640 - its smaller than a packet of cigarettes but delivers pretty good photos, was £130:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 11:40:43 pm »
Dave,
Are you now hopelessly addicted to buying cameras?
I have to ask this because I can't understand why someone who ones a camera worth £1000's,  would bother with another costing £130?

Are you to cameras what Imelda Marcos was to shoes??
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Trojan

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2010, 05:01:46 am »
Marble Arch using a Cannon S90  :D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 08:24:18 am »
That was taken during your period of wandering the streets at night to find fiendishly difficult quiz questions....  WWW :D

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2010, 08:32:12 am »
Dave,
Are you now hopelessly addicted to buying cameras?
I have to ask this because I can't understand why someone who ones a camera worth £1000's,  would bother with another costing £130?

Are you to cameras what Imelda Marcos was to shoes??
:D The answer comes to down to practicalities. If I'm walking down Mostyn Street on an ordinary day, I don't want to be carrying a camera like the D700 which, with a lens fitted, weighs the same as a bag of sugar. I can use the little pocket Nikon and thats fine for any snapshots like the work going on in the Ethel Austin shop. If I'm out photographing the high tides in the Winter, I need a decentish quality photo but, again, dont want to risk getting the big Nikon soaked by a wave and several grand of camera down the drain.  :o So, I'll use the Sony HX1 on that occasion:

Worried by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

High Tide! by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

High Tide! by SnakeCorp, on Flickr

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2010, 05:08:49 pm »
I see Dave..
There is indeed a high degree of logic in EVERYTHING you do !
Fester...

Offline Trojan

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2010, 06:17:43 pm »
That was taken during your period of wandering the streets at night to find fiendishly difficult quiz questions....  WWW :D

D)

Offline Trojan

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2010, 06:21:16 pm »
I see Dave..
There is indeed a high degree of logic in EVERYTHING you do !

Varying degrees more like. The above photo's were taken in the daytime - this is a night photography thread.  :P

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 10:22:16 am »
I love the night shots 8), I must have a go at that, also the shot of the giant wave under the pier is supurb and worrying to see :o
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 06:11:34 pm »
I love the night shots 8), I must have a go at that, also the shot of the giant wave under the pier is supurb and worrying to see :o
Thank you.  :) It was an exceptional tide that day and the wind was right behind it. Up on on the Colonnades is a great place to watch it from.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2010, 08:47:49 pm »
Llandudno by Moonlight....?

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2010, 11:20:46 pm »

More worrying for me Andy!!   my workplace might get swept away.
The day after that picture was taken, I opened up the shop and found water inside, and splinters of wood.

Its a good job those Victorians knew how to build things ....hell even Colwyn Bay pier survives storms like that, with NO assistance from engineers for many years now.
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 08:46:16 am »
Up on on the Colonnades is a great place to watch it from.

And the safest, in those conditions...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.