Author Topic: South Llandudno  (Read 29104 times)

Offline tudno

Re: South Llandudno
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2012, 11:25:49 am »
The flats off Maesdu Avenue being demolished:

Hi to all. I used to live in that block in the early 70s, anyone else out there from the maesdu, hospital road area
\
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 01:54:48 pm by Ian »

Offline Paddy

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2012, 04:11:27 pm »
Hiya Tudno. I was raised on Hospital Road. I lived there from mid 60s til about 1990.

Offline tudno

« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2012, 10:19:34 am »
Hi Paddy same here I lived in the area till 1992,  Maesdu Place and FFordd Eliz, we probably know each other.

Offline Haulfre

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2012, 11:41:33 pm »
delete.

Offline Haulfre

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2012, 11:45:41 pm »
Hitler did something similar, if I remember correctly!
Quite incorrectly actually.

Offline Haulfre

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2012, 11:52:43 pm »
Hitler did something similar, if I remember correctly!
You should be upset about people neglecting and being cruel to animals these days! Rather than people in those days trying to do their best. My nana`s dog was much loved, cared for and 16. It was a different time with the best intentions at heart!

Offline Jimbo

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2012, 07:59:07 pm »
Just found this site and joined, firts board is this one, just viewed the Maesdu flats being demolished, used to live in No 3, arrived when they were brand new, wow what memories (shed a couple of tears though) $walesflag$

Offline sam

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2012, 05:27:33 pm »
I was the last person to occupy no 3 Maesdu Ave. Good times mostly I guess. Lovely big windows with great views of conwy mountain and amaaazing sunsets:)Often dream I still live there!! T'was sad in some ways to see them go ...sentimental fools we are! Everyone (nearly :roll:) got on well and it was a good little community most of the time. Should dig around and see if I've got some pics. ;D

Offline miriam

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2013, 07:38:39 pm »
Hi Mike

I'd completely forgotten about Lucy, I remember as a little girl pushing my dolls pram past her flat, checking first to see if she was about, and then making a run for it. The garden was like a jungle, I'm sure she hid there waiting for me. Never thought I'd be living and growing up in her flat - gave me nightmares for years ........... I can remember the doctor coming to take her away, she had a knife and slashed his leather glove - I was hidding behind my Mum at the time. We lived in the flat next door, Mr. & Mrs. Harris moved in after us, I think it was No. 16, he had a trailer on the back of his bike, do you remember him.

Miriam

In the photo from Trojan, timescale 1954, the building behind the gas holder was our Wales Gas Board stores and workshop for: a) the distribution section which was responsible for installing and and maintaining mains and services (the pipe from the gas main into the premises served) - Joe and Charlie Delacoe, Henry Sutton, Ned Wrexham, Iori (can't remember his surname) and Mim Evans; and b) the gas fitters - Davy Jones (Mowbray Road), Ronnie Meaby (Colwyn Bay, I think), Gwyn Evans (Alex Road), Norman Griffiths (Northcliffe Hotel on the prom) Sammy Price (the small 1930s close, isolated between the Oval and Trinity Avenue) and little me (the apprentice from the Celestial City over the Road.

To the left of the building as you look at it, there was an external staircase, wooden when I first knew it but replaced by a steel one not much later. Upstairs we had the stores with Phil Huxley in charge (a lovely man) and, a little later, Eric Jones (Eric Sam) his assistant. Over the workshop was the supervisors office Freddie Jones (Deganway - that was the spelling then) at first and after his retirement, Mr Cox (Council Street - can't remember his first name). Later, Norman Griffiths became an estimator and Cox's assistant.

The first house you can see on the straight bit facing you in Cwm Place, is where we lived in the upstairs flat. Downstairs lived an elderly lady, Mrs Williams and her actively schizophrenic daughter, Lucitania May (later there we had Alun Jones (YrOgo - Ted's brother, Megan and their daughter Miriam - lovely young girl). In the mornings I used to roll out of bed late, run, with my breakfast in my hand (sometimes chased by Lucy) through the little entry at the apex of the curve, over the road and over the wall - virtually straight into the workshop. first job was to make tea for everyone that could be used as a substitute for marine varnish.

We had one van -Gwyn Evans' 'property' attempts for anyone else to drive it resulted in a lynching! So one of my early jobs was to trundle any material needed though the streets on the Gas Board handcart!!! Good old days.   $walesflag$