Author Topic: The Annual Llandudno Waiters Race Pictures wanted - dating back to the 1800s  (Read 5277 times)

Waffagolf

Ty Gobaith are staging the Annual Llandudno Waiters & Waitress Races on Sunday 11th September. It's an event that first began in Llandudno back in the 1800s, when waiters from Llandudno hotels, would run along the promenade in top hat and tails carrying a silver tray resplendent with wine bottle and glasses.

I have only ever seen one picture of the event from the 1800s, and that used to hang in the St Georges Hotel. I have asked several times if they can find it, but sadly to no avail. So if anyone has one, I'd love to have a copy please.........

The event used to get huge croiwds back in the 1980s

Waffagolf

The young lady on the right of this picture is Eryl Restall. She would enter every year. The second picture is how the teams from Llandudno's top hotels would line up before the race in order to be judged the Best Dressed Team.

Offline Trojan

I put some photo's up in the People thread a while ago which may be somewhat relevant:

10th September 1953: Miss Enid Soffe of Llandudno in the 'Don't Spill It' waiters and waitresses race in Battersea Park Festival Gardens.

Offline suepp

• Ad Free Member
I thought the race was on yesterday as i saw a man dressed up as a waitress walking along Mostyn street!

Waffagolf

My gosh, I remember Enid Soffe very well. Great pictures. You learn something everyday. Thanks for posting these.

Offline Trojan

My gosh, I remember Enid Soffe very well. Great pictures. You learn something everyday. Thanks for posting these.

She was a waitress at the Winter Gardens.

Offline Trojan

She was a waitress at the Winter Gardens.

Found this  *&( site from ITN and look what I found!  :)

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//BHC_RTV/1952/08/11/BGU412230021/?s=Llandudno&st=0&pn=1

Waffagolf

OMG....Fantastic clip. If only we could get crowds like that again, plus so many waiters & waitresses. Wonderful clip. Thanks for finding it.

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Great find Trojan!
Valar Morghulis

Offline Jelly Baby

Was this the same as the Champagne Stakes? My Mum came 9th in the race held on 06 August 1952, run over 3/4 mile. As they are all in their waitress uniforms, I would assume it was all part and parcel of the Waiters Race?
That's my Mum on the right. The other two girls are May (who came 7th) and Meryle (who came 14th) but I don't know which is which!