Author Topic: The ASDA Fire  (Read 24267 times)

Online Hugo

• Management board member
Re: The ASDA Fire
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 08:46:52 pm »
Some good footballers in that line up Bri.    If I remember correctly the entrance to the funfair from Mostyn Broadway was just a wide dusty track in the grassy field and if you went in to town from the fair then you would turn left and after a short distance Tudor Road was on your right.
Most of the rides etc  I think were east of that road and would be in the area where B and Q and part of Currys is now.

Offline Ludo

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2012, 08:49:08 pm »
Wow, that's a fantastic sketch, Ludo!  $good$

$thanx$ DaveR  - I feel encouraged to try and do something more with it now - perhaps some more refined quick sketches first....
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 09:01:59 pm »
Here's a view of the stand at the other end from 1955.

It seems the roof did not go all the way along !

Offline Ludo

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 09:10:38 pm »
Here's a view of the stand at the other end from 1955.

It seems the roof did not go all the way along !

hmmm - I was sure it went the whole way along that end, maybe it was extended in the 60s? - the plot thickens....

Offline Ludo

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 08:33:25 am »
...still trying to find info on the Football Ground - I made another quick sketch of the main stand as I remember it:

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 09:37:49 am »
Even though I can't stand football, that's another great sketch!  $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline hollins

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 09:40:46 am »
I agree. I wish I could draw in perspective like that.

Offline Ludo

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2012, 09:47:42 am »
 $thanx$ - so kind! - I wish I could remember more details of the place though. I would really like to make a few paintings of it, but at the moment it would have to be a bit on the abstract side - more surrealist than photo-realism, but then that could be quite interesting.... hmm now that's an idea!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2012, 09:49:00 am »
Ludo, that is wonderful.

In fact, I had forgotten what it looked like inside the ground.

Did you see a photo album posted on here a couple of weeks ago?

It contained many old photos of Llandudno from 1923 and the football ground was in a different position but alongside some allotments.

Offline Ludo

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2012, 10:07:10 am »
Thanks Bri!. Was that the aerial photography album? - if so I did see the shot of the football ground - fascinating it was too. I remember there being allotments at the back of the north stand up to the North Western.  I also saw the photo of the ground during one of the Royal Marines Tatoos they used to hold there every year - I remember coming home from one of them to hear that evening on the TV, that there had been an explosion on board Apollo 13 and being really worried for the crew...

I would really like to make a Google Sketchup drawing of the football ground - then we could all wander around it to our heart's content and even replay one of the schools' cup finals in virtual reality with the half-size goals and using the D of the normal penalty area as the six yard box of course - it would have to be realistic...

http://sketchup.google.com/

There is already a sketch of the Grand and the Pier, but excellent though it is, I am sure the artist would agree it could benefit from a bit of improvement.

Offline gaztrucker

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2017, 09:33:31 pm »
hey anyone remember ormerods garage going up in rhos think it was a 10 pump job massive blaze 1976? datsun or mazda dealers  site rebuilt as geordies now coop no fuel no more petrol stations left in rhos used to be four !!!!!!

Offline shnugs

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2020, 12:31:18 pm »
Some more ASDA fire pictures

I remember all the kids from across the road with money burns on their hands and price stickers everywhere, and lead in shopping trollies...and that smell for ever.
welsh and proud even though far away.