Author Topic: The ASDA Fire  (Read 25476 times)

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
Re: The ASDA Fire
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 10:32:28 am »
I only remember the funfair where B&Q is now, unless you're going back a few years earlier.
I thought someone like BT had offices at the broadway house site.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Yorkie

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 11:34:38 am »
BT had the site where Mostyn House Surgery is now.
Wise men have something to say.
Fools have to say something.
Cicero

Offline Gixer181

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 01:43:03 pm »
Or are you getting confused with the funfair that was at the end of the swimming pool. The annual funfair was next to b and q just below the old allotments opposite the garage. The football ground wasnt as low as asda. Google maps arent that accurate they can be upto 500 m out with regards reference points.

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 02:04:50 pm »
In this old photo, taken on the old council field in 1971, you can make out the Grand Theatre and St Pauls Church in the background.

Didn't the funfair always arrive during the summer holidays just beyond the corrugated sheeting on the far side of the football ground?

Offline Quiggs

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 02:17:52 pm »
Yes, I also recall a high dive act,  where a tall pylon was erected and the diver climbed to the top before plunging down into a circular tank of water, which was only a few feet deep. It was rumoured that he damaged his eye when he hit a matchstick floating on the surface.  :o
Dictum Meum Pactum

Offline norman08

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 03:12:19 pm »
the fair was behind the fence ,[behind the team] remember the small pitch there with the smaller goals ,all the allotments were opp the theatre and behind the top goal by the broadway

Offline Ludo

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 06:50:27 pm »
Or are you getting confused with the funfair that was at the end of the swimming pool. The annual funfair was next to b and q just below the old allotments opposite the garage. The football ground wasnt as low as asda. Google maps arent that accurate they can be upto 500 m out with regards reference points.

Hello Gixer181, No I am not confusing the location of Simons funfair. Bri had it exactly right - Simons Funfair (the one I was specifically referring to) was a temporary fixture during the school summer holidays, and was definitely located on the other side of the corrugated iron fence of the football ground as Bri said. Also if you see the position of the Grand Theatre and St Paul's Church in the background you can easily see the actual location of the 'stadium'. I think for a time in the seventies there was a fixed, very small funfair by the swimming pool but it had a terrible reputation - for what I can't exactly remember now....
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Offline pkevin

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 07:00:38 pm »
Will this map help 1938 -58

Offline SDQ

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 07:09:39 pm »

Hello Gixer181, No I am not confusing the location of Simons funfair. Bri had it exactly right - Simons Funfair (the one I was specifically referring to) was a temporary fixture during the school summer holidays, and was definitely located on the other side of the corrugated iron fence of the football ground as Bri said. Also if you see the position of the Grand Theatre and St Paul's Church in the background you can easily see the actual location of the 'stadium'. I think for a time in the seventies there was a fixed, very small funfair by the swimming pool but it had a terrible reputation - for what I can't exactly remember now....

When I click on your link the map opens with two pins on it, a green one which I assume is where you think the centre of the football pitch was & a red one which I assume is where you think the funfair was. The red one is in the wrong place on the one I opened as it's where the BT offices were situated and should instead be further up the road by B&Q.
Valar Morghulis

Offline Ludo

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 07:47:17 pm »
When I click on your link the map opens with two pins on it, a green one which I assume is where you think the centre of the football pitch was & a red one which I assume is where you think the funfair was. The red one is in the wrong place on the one I opened as it's where the BT offices were situated and should instead be further up the road by B&Q.

Well - ok, it was somewhere near there - It's not really important to know the exact location of the centre spot to within the nearest foot is it?. Although if someone could establish it's precise location it would make a great 'spot the ball' type competition for the quizzes and puzzles thread!. I was trying to picture the football ground from memory given the lack of photographic reference, and I have made this very quick sketch of what I can remember of it. If anyone else can add any more detail, I might make a 3D drawing of it in Sketch Up - if I can find some time/be bothered.

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 08:02:24 pm »
That is the best 'very quick sketch' that I have ever seen!  $good$

I remember the small funfair in the seventies, by the swimming pool, it had a very small 'big wheel' also somewhere in that area I had pony riding lessons! (all done whilst on holiday!)
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline Ludo

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 08:07:44 pm »
That is the best 'very quick sketch' that I have ever seen!  $good$

I remember the small funfair in the seventies, by the swimming pool, it had a very small 'big wheel' also somewhere in that area I had pony riding lessons! (all done whilst on holiday!)

$thanx$ Thanks M.E.!

- I would really like to make a proper drawing/painting/3D drawing of it, but I/we would need a lot more info to make it worthwhile. Let's see what happens in time....

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 08:35:27 pm »
I agree.

It truly is excellent.

The only small problem is the ground was not parallel with Conway Road as can be seen by the old map illustrated earlier by pkevin.

Here is another old photo from 1958 which provides a view behind one of the goals.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 08:41:44 pm »

Well - ok, it was somewhere near there - It's not really important to know the exact location of the centre spot to within the nearest foot is it?. Although if someone could establish it's precise location it would make a great 'spot the ball' type competition for the quizzes and puzzles thread!. I was trying to picture the football ground from memory given the lack of photographic reference, and I have made this very quick sketch of what I can remember of it. If anyone else can add any more detail, I might make a 3D drawing of it in Sketch Up - if I can find some time/be bothered.

Wow, that's a fantastic sketch, Ludo!  $good$

Offline Ludo

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 08:45:20 pm »
I agree.

It truly is excellent.

The only small problem is the ground was not parallel with Conway Road as can be seen by the old map illustrated earlier by pkevin earlier.

Here is another old photo from 1958 which provides a view behind one of the goals.

$thanx$ Thanks Bri

- great photo! - Agreed about the Conwy Road position. Some good detail there of the north stand - I thought it had a curved roof and this confirms it. There is also a tantalising clue to its construction, which is very helpful in making a more accurate drawing. The other stand had an angular pitched roof I think, and about the same size as the north stand. If I remember correctly the south stand was the cheaper of the two (2/-6d comared to the 3/- 9d of the North stand and 5/- in the main stand) - and was the away supporters' stand. Although in the latter years you were lucky to see any more than one man and his dog!.