Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 395463 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #870 on: March 27, 2016, 09:43:23 am »
The amusement arcade at the end of the pier is still advertising the River City Jazzmen for 2012.

Surely a member of the management team should walk around the pier on a daily basis to check that everything is in order and ensure things like this are taken down straight away.

This is a common failing in the hospitality trade. I could show you a B&B who's tariff still reads 2014. Not a good image to portray. :-X
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #871 on: March 27, 2016, 03:34:21 pm »
The number of cars parkied outside the pier entrance and on the promenade towards the Grand Hotel this afternoon has risen to eight. Little room for any more.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #872 on: March 27, 2016, 03:48:31 pm »
The number of cars parkied outside the pier entrance and on the promenade towards the Grand Hotel this afternoon has risen to eight. Little room for any more.
Doesn't that have to stop after March?  I thought the Harbourmaster took action from April to October?
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #873 on: March 27, 2016, 06:48:29 pm »
Doesn't that have to stop after March?  I thought the Harbourmaster took action from April to October?

No, the people working on the Pier have arbitrarily decided that the strip of what was grass on the out side of their Boundary fence now belongs to the Pier and they will Park on it if they so choose. What was grass has been so worn away over the closed season that during the renovation of the entrance it quite mysteriously got replace with loose gravel chips
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #874 on: March 30, 2016, 11:37:24 am »
An interesting interview with the Sheikh who owns Eastbourne Pier, about his plans to develop it.
https://www.facebook.com/sovereignfm/videos/1287378184610838/
Fester...

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Llandudno Pier (Brighton Pier)
« Reply #875 on: April 08, 2016, 04:34:58 pm »
Brighton Pier changes hands for £18m
One of the UK’s most famous landmarks, Brighton’s Palace Pier, is being sold to a bar chain run by serial investor Luke Johnson for £18m.

Last year the Grade II-listed pier made a profit before financial charges of £3.5m on sales of £13.3m last year.

To fund the deal Eclectic Bar Group plans to place up to £8.5m of new shares with investors, with Johnson, the executive chairman, subscribing for £2.5m of them.
A serial entrepreneur, Johnson and Hugh Osmond bought Pizza Express in 1993 for about £20m. The pair grew the business from 12 restaurants to more than 250 and raised the share price from 40p to more than 900p before selling in 1999.
MORE   http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/apr/08/brighton-pier-bought-ex-pizza-express-boss

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #876 on: May 09, 2016, 12:26:30 pm »
It's good to see that the Llandudno Pier's website has now been updated at http://www.llandudnopier.com although the new logo for the Pier doesn't quite seem to match reality.

They also now have an impressive looking company van. On the Pier itself they still have 2012 information for the Pier Head Bar although, to be fair, the Jazz band is still performing.

The new entrance is much more attractive but the moving of the former shell shop seems to be a bit strange given that it now blocks the view right down the pier from the original entrance. I'm guessing this could be the likely home of the promised fish and chip shop.

For some strange reason at one time I appeared to have the Pier to myself, along with a few thousand hailstones it must have been a Bank Holiday weekend!

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #877 on: May 09, 2016, 12:56:48 pm »
Great photos......and nice to see the updated web site, I did notice this in "the latest post" section ........

"2016 will see the first ever month long Christmas Market on Llandudno Pier. Dates to be confirmed"

What do you think Fester ?

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #878 on: May 09, 2016, 01:20:05 pm »
the moving of the former shell shop seems to be a bit strange given that it now blocks the view right down the pier from the original entrance. I'm guessing this could be the likely home of the promised fish and chip shop.
I believe it's planned to be an Ice Cream Parlour.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #879 on: May 09, 2016, 01:38:42 pm »
Great photos......and nice to see the updated web site, I did notice this in "the latest post" section ........

"2016 will see the first ever month long Christmas Market on Llandudno Pier. Dates to be confirmed"

What do you think Fester ?

I try not to think Steve.
Fester...

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #880 on: May 09, 2016, 02:30:20 pm »
It was good seeing two young lads (Jack and Lewis I think) making a go of one of the units on the Pier selling fresh fruit on skewers covered in chocolate. Hope it works out well for them.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #881 on: May 09, 2016, 03:47:42 pm »
They also now have an impressive looking company van.
The new entrance is much more attractive

It would be a lot more attractive if the company van was parked in the piers car-park and not on the grass verge of the Promenade. After destroying the grass by constantly driving on and over it they actually had the cheek to cover the damage with gravel. Hopefully the new by-laws will come into effect this week and once they start getting £80 fines for illegal parking the grass might just stand a chance of re-growing and the pedestrians will get their walk-way back.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #882 on: May 10, 2016, 08:50:50 am »
They also now have an impressive looking company van.
The new entrance is much more attractive

It would be a lot more attractive if the company van was parked in the piers car-park and not on the grass verge of the Promenade. After destroying the grass by constantly driving on and over it they actually had the cheek to cover the damage with gravel. Hopefully the new by-laws will come into effect this week and once they start getting £80 fines for illegal parking the grass might just stand a chance of re-growing and the pedestrians will get their walk-way back.
I noticed that there are now temporary notices from the harbour master warning that parking on that area is illegal.

Offline Blongb

« Reply #883 on: May 10, 2016, 02:07:02 pm »
I noticed that there are now temporary notices from the harbour master warning that parking on that area is illegal.

It's the calm before the storm Dave. There's going to be a County Council meeting, I think it's Thursday evening, to vote on implementing new By-Laws which will give the Harbour Master the power, in law, to prosecute the few miscreants who still think it's their right to Park on the Promenade. Powers that he lacked in the past, so was hamstrunged to resolve the problem. 

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #884 on: May 11, 2016, 11:19:39 am »

It's the calm before the storm Dave. There's going to be a County Council meeting, I think it's Thursday evening, to vote on implementing new By-Laws which will give the Harbour Master the power, in law, to prosecute the few miscreants who still think it's their right to Park on the Promenade. Powers that he lacked in the past, so was hamstrunged to resolve the problem.
Had a peek, the new Byelaw states:

7. TRUCK, MACHINE AND VEHICLE PROHIBITION
7(1) No person shall drive, bring or cause to the brought onto the
Promenade any truck, machine or vehicle other than:
(a) a bicycle, tricycle or other similar machine;
(b) a wheelchair, pushchair or pram used solely for the conveyance of a
child or children or a disabled person; or
(c) a mechanically or electronically propelled wheelchair used solely for
the conveyance of a disabled person.