Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 396136 times)

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #825 on: February 19, 2016, 10:09:36 am »
It's great that the Pier finally has an Owner prepared to put his money where his mouth is and invest in the pier.  $good$

Llandudno pier owner on £700,000 makeover plans
05:00, 19 FEB 2016
BY OWEN HUGHES

Revamped entrance units, lighting and background music, and steelwork all part of the revamp

Work is underway to revamp the entrance of the iconic Llandudno pier as part of £700,000 of investment since new owners bought the attraction.

Tir Prince boss Adam Williams snapped up the £4.5m pier last May - promising to invest money into restoring it to its former glory.

This restoration work started last year on the pier and now they are working on a major revamp of the entrance buildings.

The units - which had rotten wooden floors - have been taken to the Tir Prince workshops in Towyn for makeovers in time for the spring season.

There are also plans to restore lighting along the attraction and pipe in background music.

Adam said: “The entrance is so important to the pier and we wanted to invest in smartening this up.

“The floors were rotten on the existing buildings so work had to be done and at the same time we are giving them a complete facelift.

“We will work on the buildings between the entrance and the arcade and this will see around £300,000 put into this alone.

“We want it to be complete for Easter.”

He said that the plan was to continue working their way down the pier, undertaking steelwork and work on the pier balustrades. They had also added new machines in the pier arcade.

He said: “The problem is that it is half a mile long!

“I said when I took over we would invest in the pier and I have not taken a penny from the business.

“Once this current work is complete we will have spent £700,000 on the site.

“A lot of the work people will not even see because it is on the pier structure.

“We hope to improve the lighting later this year and also bring in nice background music.

“We want the lighting to be like it used to be and give the whole attraction a softer touch. The work will never stop.”

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/business/business-news/llandudno-pier-owner-700000-makeover-10912397

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #826 on: February 19, 2016, 12:36:28 pm »
Lot of people moaning on facebook about the background music

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #827 on: February 19, 2016, 12:41:33 pm »

Why there isn't any to moan about yet?
Anyhow, loads of railings are being removed and replaced at the moment, it looks really weird when they are missing...
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #828 on: February 19, 2016, 02:14:08 pm »
don;t go tripping
#

Offline Nemesis

• Management board member
« Reply #829 on: February 19, 2016, 02:39:43 pm »

Anyhow, loads of railings are being removed and replaced at the moment, it looks really weird when they are missing...

Eeeek that looks dodgy
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline OrmeMac

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #830 on: February 19, 2016, 04:30:28 pm »

But there's already music on the pier from the CD stall, arcade, etc so can't see further background music causing a problem. Plus it could also include advertising as another possible revenue stream. They could feature artists from the old Pavilion days. I'd love to see the strings of lights back going down the length of the pier. Fixing LED strips underside seemed like a good idea but most if not all have now gone out (or fallen into the sea?).

Offline Neil

« Reply #831 on: February 19, 2016, 06:36:22 pm »
I hate background music, and it's totally unnessary these days as most people can provide whatever music they like from their smartphone, I feared the new owner would come up with some naff ideas to spoil the pier, looks like I was right!

Offline pebbles

« Reply #832 on: February 19, 2016, 11:16:08 pm »
I hate background music for the pier - it's been bad enough that cheesy crap has been piped out down at the end of the pier for a few years, but if we have to put up with it all the way down... i like to hear the sea myself, it's kind of what you go on a pier for??!

Offline Jenny Jacks

« Reply #833 on: February 20, 2016, 06:55:26 pm »
I agree that it is good news for the town that new owner is prepared to invest so much money, and time, into the pier's future.  Good luck to Tir Prince.

As an aside, I was down the pier last weekend and I noticed that just opposite the end of  pier cafe, on the windows at the side of the amusement arcade, there was information about the live music we could look forward to -  (now I didn't have my glasses with me so I may be wrong) -  in the Summer of 2012!

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #834 on: February 20, 2016, 08:08:57 pm »
The River City Jazzmen.  &shake&

For three years, I have wondered when it would be noticed.

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #835 on: February 22, 2016, 08:56:14 am »

But there's already music on the pier from the CD stall, arcade, etc so can't see further background music causing a problem. Plus it could also include advertising as another possible revenue stream. They could feature artists from the old Pavilion days. I'd love to see the strings of lights back going down the length of the pier. Fixing LED strips underside seemed like a good idea but most if not all have now gone out (or fallen into the sea?).
When I worked on the Pier back in the 1990s, there were lampposts all down the middle the central section of pier, to which were attached speakers playing a variety of 60s music all day long!

The decorative lighting attached to the underside of the pier and the pierhead pavilion was a disaster from the start, as they didn't use LEDs, they used old style miniature filament bulbs which began to fail in the sea air almost immediately. In addition, the timers that controlled the various sections of lighting never seemed to be working correctly, so the chances of seeing the entire pier lit up as intended was pretty remote after the first couple of months!

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #836 on: February 22, 2016, 09:00:16 am »

It's good to see that section of timber kerb behind the Toys & Jokes kiosk is being replaced; it's been rotten for the last 10 years at least.  $good$

Offline Blongb

• I love living in Llandudno.
« Reply #837 on: February 22, 2016, 03:41:28 pm »

But there's already music on the pier from the CD stall, arcade, etc so can't see further background music causing a problem.

When I worked on the Pier back in the 1990s, there were lampposts all down the middle the central section of pier, to which were attached speakers playing a variety of 60s music all day long!

If it's background music then I can't see it being a problem, but if it's anything louder and I have to put up with intrusive noise, all day, every day, then that will lead to a big can of worms, especially when I ask the Planners for permission to install double glazing, so that I can have some quality of life. But that's a long way down the road and so far the Pier have been good neighbours.
Quot homines tot sententiae: suus cuique mos.
(There are as many opinions as there are people: each has his own view.)

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #838 on: February 22, 2016, 07:21:04 pm »
the flats they build on the pier pavillion site will block the noise

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #839 on: February 22, 2016, 08:01:05 pm »
the flats they build on the pier pavillion site will block the noise
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: