Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 396987 times)

Offline Bri Roberts

• Management board member
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #780 on: July 05, 2015, 04:27:13 pm »
MV Balmoral arriving back in Liverpool yesterday afternoon and passing Queen Mary 2.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #781 on: July 05, 2015, 04:35:11 pm »
If I , as a mere bystander, might interrupt any argument to state a fact.....the pier was packed to the gunnels yesterday afternoon.

Interesting...

Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #782 on: July 05, 2015, 04:46:32 pm »
Jeez! You've got too much spare time on your hands dude! Find a hobby!

Sorry, Steve.  Fewer words or smaller words?   WWW WWW WWW
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline white rabbit

• I'm late, I'm late!
« Reply #783 on: July 05, 2015, 06:03:24 pm »
I thought this topic was "Llandudno Pier" :(

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #784 on: July 05, 2015, 06:19:49 pm »
MV Balmoral arriving back in Liverpool yesterday afternoon and passing Queen Mary 2.

Great picture Bri. of the MV Balmoral with the QM2 , after leaving .....Llandudno Pier.  :twoface:

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #785 on: July 05, 2015, 08:35:39 pm »
If I , as a mere bystander, might interrupt any argument to state a fact.....the pier was packed to the gunnels yesterday afternoon.

Careful Nem!   Apparently that's an opinion, not a fact... because there is no independent data to verify what you say!
Also, factually incorrect, seeing as the Pier does not have 'gunnels'   I would never be allowed to get away with it!  :laugh: :laugh:

What are 'gunnels' by the way?

Seriously though Nem, at times, especially on weekends, and particularly in mid afternoon, you will find the Pier busy.
But, my point has always been about the hours outside noon to 4pm,   and every weekday, when my OBSERVATION is that it is very, very quiet.

I recall you used to walk on there late morning, (am I right?), we used to chat, but it was too busy to chat for long.

Anyway... on a positive note, we are about to enter the busiest period of the entire year.... weather permitting, the pier and the town should be buzzing!  <:> <:<:<:< $bounce$
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline snowcap

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #786 on: July 05, 2015, 11:14:18 pm »
life goes on no matter what all our opinions are,or what any of us think or do and is to short to worry about But I would miss it all if you both stopped giving your opinions be they fact or fiction, keep it going lads.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #787 on: July 06, 2015, 07:34:53 am »
Careful Nem!   Apparently that's an opinion, not a fact... because there is no independent data to verify what you say!

No, actually that's an empirical observation which Nem has very precisely located. Totally acceptable.  D)

Also, factually incorrect, seeing as the Pier does not have 'gunnels'   I would never be allowed to get away with it!  :laugh: :laugh:

The railings could be considered 'gunwales', I suppose, as the nautical gunwale would have occupied the same or a similar position on a warship. Nem's past life as a pirate is informing her colourful use of language, no doubt  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Nemesis

« Reply #788 on: July 06, 2015, 09:05:36 am »
OMG. I open my mouth and someone jumps in with both feet. !

My OH drove past in the car and the pier was very busy. This was Saturday.

Last Tuesday evening at around 8pm I managed to walk the dog as far as the pier,( complete with my selection of poo-bags) . The only place selling anything, which was open, was the ice cream kiosk at the landward end. I managed as far as Fester's shop, but turned back as all I could see were closed shops...............so no it wasn't busy then.

Wish I had been a pirate Ian........... I could have lived up to my name then! The expression using Gunnels is often used in Yorkshire to mean 'full to the top'. Shame on you Fes. and you a Yorkshireman ! :o
Mad, Bad and Dangerous to know.

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #789 on: July 06, 2015, 09:18:16 am »
I think one of my long gone ancestors was a pirate. He was certainly a sailor in the 16th C and sailed to the Caribbean with Privateers... (AFAIK).

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #790 on: July 06, 2015, 02:06:30 pm »
The expression using Gunnels is often used in Yorkshire to mean 'full to the top'. Shame on you Fes. and you a Yorkshireman ! :o

I know, and I've heard it many times, maybe even used it.... without really knowing what it meant.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Tom Davidson

• Ad Free Member
  • Daily Post hack
« Reply #791 on: July 06, 2015, 02:23:17 pm »
Worth noting, in The Sunday Times one reporter refers to Llandudno Pier as "the finest pier in Wales". Make of that what you will, it's not got much competition from Colwyn Bay.
After all what is time, a mere tyranny.

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #792 on: July 06, 2015, 03:49:08 pm »
I wonder how close the new pier at Penarth compares after receiving a £1.68m lottery grant in 2011?

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #793 on: July 06, 2015, 05:29:44 pm »
I wonder how close the new pier at Penarth compares after receiving a £1.68m lottery grant in 2011?
Hi Bri, I had a look on Wikipedia, they got a lot more than £1.68m.........it is council owned,and they won the best pier award in 2014
"PACL were awarded a Heritage Lottery Fund grant of £99,600 to develop plans for detailed restoration. PACL have now developed a £3.9m refurbishment scheme, to use enable the pavilion to be restored as a cinema, cafe, observatory and multi-purpose community complex. After planning permission was granted for the project, the HLF awarded PACT a further £1.68m in May 2011."

Offline Bri Roberts

« Reply #794 on: July 06, 2015, 05:49:51 pm »
Thank you for the update, SteveH.