Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 396197 times)

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #750 on: June 29, 2015, 09:11:37 pm »
In the late 80's a friend had a stall at Towyn outside Tinkers newsagents, he sold jeans, one day he thought he saw a man putting something under his jacket, he followed and accused him on the spot, the man broke down, pleading don't call the police as he would go back inside....a slight delay and my friend knee'd him in the bxxxs and told him to bxxxxr off...... the man doubled in pain said.......... "Oh thankyou mate thanks very much" and hobbled off ... _))* _))*

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #751 on: June 29, 2015, 11:15:16 pm »
In the late 80's a friend had a stall at Towyn outside Tinkers newsagents, he sold jeans, one day he thought he saw a man putting something under his jacket, he followed and accused him on the spot, the man broke down, pleading don't call the police as he would go back inside....a slight delay and my friend knee'd him in the bxxxs and told him to bxxxxr off...... the man doubled in pain said.......... "Oh thankyou mate thanks very much" and hobbled off ... _))* _))*

That type of 'approach' is one that I 'might' have employed.... but not this year.

The thieves I apprehended on Sunday were as follows.
1, A child of approximately 4 years old, who's mother told me 'why should I care?' ... when I led him over to her and pointed out what he had done. Nice eh?
2, An Asian lady of about 60, although many of them look about 60, when they are nearer to 30
3, A very well dressed gay couple, who I waited for to return down the pier. (because I didn't actually see them do it myself)  Once I collared the one who did it, and 'explained' the error of his ways to him, he became a quivering wreck and I recovered my merchandise.... oh, and I fined him too!

Job done without any physical pain being administered to anyone!   As I said, response has to be tailored to the circumstances and the perpetrator.
The other thing to say is, one must be 100% certain that you have seen a theft, I have given the benefit of the doubt on many occasions.  99% is not enough for me to act.
Also, I don't manage to spot the vast majority of thieves, I am well aware of that.

Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #752 on: June 30, 2015, 07:13:53 am »
A child of approximately 4 years old, who's mother told me 'why should I care?' ... when I led him over to her and pointed out what he had done. Nice eh?

Nicely embodying the concept of the 'vicious circle'...
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #753 on: June 30, 2015, 09:56:24 am »
He plays them Motorhead songs  WWW

The European court of human rights would have a field day  :D

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #754 on: July 02, 2015, 01:31:14 pm »
The Balmoral docks today, the first time since 2006
Fester...

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #755 on: July 02, 2015, 02:30:34 pm »
It was great to see it back in Llandudno.

Offline SteveH

« Reply #756 on: July 03, 2015, 02:21:38 pm »
GALLERY: Historic MV Balmoral ship officially re-launched at Llandudno Pier.

HUNDREDS of people turned out in force for the relaunch of an historic ship in Llandudno.

The MV Balmoral, built in 1949, will be returned to service from the town’s pier on Thursday, July 2 and was officially opened by Cllr Frank Bradfield, mayor of Llandudno.
He said: “This is a fabulous ship and it is wonderful that Llandudno was chosen to stage this and I hope this will be a catalyst for more events of this nature.
“It’s great to see so many people here embracing the hard work put in by everybody, and the organisers and fundraisers deserve enormous credit.”
The 66-year-old vessel’s last voyage was in 2012, before it was withdrawn from service after its owners were unable to finance the work required to keep it operating.
MORE AND PHOTOS
http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news/149889/gallery-historic-mv-balmoral-ship-officially-re-launched-at-llandudno-pier.aspx

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #757 on: July 03, 2015, 03:28:30 pm »
Take a look at my pictures below, and you will see that the Pier was very quiet for such an auspicious occasion.
At the Pier head however, there was indeed maybe 200 folk.  Some passengers, others spectators.

What is interesting though, is when The Waverley FAILED to dock last year, there were probably 2000 people on the Pier to see it.
It is indicative of 2 things.   
1, How quiet town is in general (for visitors)
2, How appallingly the visit of The Balmoral was advertised and marketed!
Fester...

Offline SteveH

« Reply #758 on: July 03, 2015, 03:56:15 pm »
Timetable   M.V. BALMORAL

Friday 3 July
Liverpool 0900**
Llandudno arr 1215
Llandudno dep 1245
Cruise past Puffin Island &
towards Menai Bridge
Llandudno arr 1530
Llandudno dep 1600
Liverpool 1930

Saturday 4 July
Liverpool 0900**
Llandudno arr 1215
Llandudno dep 1245
Cruise Great Orme & Anglesey
Coast towards RedWharf Bay
Llandudno arr 1530
Llandudno dep 1600
Liverpool 1930

Sunday 5 July
Llandudno 1015
Menai Bridge 1145
Caernarfon 1230
Cruise round Anglesey
Menai Bridge 1715
Coach return to Caernarfon
arrive 1800
Llandudno 1830

Offline SteveH

« Reply #759 on: July 03, 2015, 04:08:15 pm »
Take a look at my pictures below, and you will see that the Pier was very quiet for such an auspicious occasion.
At the Pier head however, there was indeed maybe 200 folk.  Some passengers, others spectators.
What is interesting though, is when The Waverley FAILED to dock last year, there were probably 2000 people on the Pier to see it.
It is indicative of 2 things.   
2, How appallingly the visit of The Balmoral was advertised and marketed!

I was surprised at the low numbers on the pier yesterday, even including the parties of school children and a couple of coach loads of ethnic visitors it was very quiet for such an occasion......

And I can only agree that they let themselves down badly with their marketing,....... but what did Llandudno do ? 
&shake&

F. I am pleased to say you were busy both times I passed...... $good$

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #760 on: July 03, 2015, 04:26:22 pm »

The town certainly isn't quiet in general for visitors.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #761 on: July 03, 2015, 05:06:53 pm »

The town certainly isn't quiet in general for visitors.

Between Bog Island, and the roundabout at Gloddaeth is very busy.
They are the cut off points.   I.e., the 'main strip' as it seen to be these days.

Incidentally, the Cable Cars, even when open on the odd glorious day... there is NEVER a queue anymore.

Come and see for yourself,   Mr and Mrs Merddin Emrys just did! 
Fester...

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #762 on: July 03, 2015, 05:25:57 pm »
The Orme Marine Drive is extremely busy. Walking round on two days this week it was very busy. We didn't visit the pier. So I say again "The town certainly isn't quiet in general for visitors".

Both Stuart and Charlie (toll gatekeepers) tell me the Drive has been busy. The Cafe on the Orme drive is very busy - much busier than in previous years. The pier may well be dead - I don't know because - in common with many others, apparently - it holds little or no interest for us.

But I worry about people talking the town down, and I know they're wrong.  Maybe not about the pier, but certainly about the overall town and visitor numbers.  All the studies, all the data - everything, in fact, apart from individual and highly subjective experiences is telling us the opposite but still some insist on trying to tell us all that the town is dead. I only hope prospective visitors don't read these gloomy prognostications and cancel their intended trips.

Offline Big Alan

• Scouse not English
« Reply #763 on: July 03, 2015, 07:15:50 pm »
You live there and have no interest in the pier? It's the first place me and Paula make for on our weekend breaks, we love it. Oh and before you tell me it's just a novelty to us because we are 'only tourists', we had one in New Brighton that got demolished and is still sadly missed.

EDIT: Be nice, please!  $thanx$
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 07:50:23 pm by Admin Team »
Justice for the 96

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #764 on: July 04, 2015, 12:39:03 am »
Big Al, nice to see you and your family again last week, look after your Mum mate!

Ian, I have to say that the town itself may be very busy... at times... and in certain areas.

However, the areas I am familiar with (not just the Pier by any means) are very quiet OUTSIDE the hours of Noon til 4pm.

I don't care if prospective visitors read these observations, they are MY observations and as valid as any spurious reports issued by bodies with vested interests.
For example, when did any Tourist Board issue any figures to say things weren't always UP?   If they did, they would be admitting failure, and therefore be sacked for performance issues.

I can't pretend that I see it differently, and that things are not changing quite rapidly... any attempt to do so would be as false as the politicians that I despise.
I'm sure you wouldn't want me to tell false-hoods, and modify my opinions to attract unsuspecting tourists, only for them to be disappointed on arrival?   I think that is what the Alice Trail people are guilty of in a big way.
Also, Ian, if you only want to create a positive-only image of the town, perhaps the thread regarding 'Eyesores' should be deleted.  It is after all, one heck of a long list!

I detect your frustration and disappointment that I will not simply kow-tow to your opinion.  No matter how much you make it bold or underline it.    I see what I see.  (I know how to make text BOLD and UNDERLINE things too!), but it doesn't make my opinion any more or less important than yours.
I have been visited by several Forum members this week, some have posted on this very topic on the other thread.... we see what we see!

Steve H and Norm08 were, I believe, in broad agreement in their most recent posts. It was nice to see Mr and Mrs Merddin today... what did you think guys?
Oh, and the guy who introduced himself as a Forum 'Lurker', who lost me a customer and then slunk away... thanks for that by the way!

It's a bit like clairvoyance now,  in so much as for those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who don't, no level of proof will be enough to convince them.

Fester...