Author Topic: Llandudno Pier  (Read 396001 times)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
Re: Llandudno Pier
« Reply #735 on: June 24, 2015, 02:33:19 pm »
The gents at the  end of the pier was closed the other day. Very inconvenient for anyone who had walked up there from the amusement arcade.

They were closed for over a week, due to damage caused last weekend.
They are fully open now, and repaired.
Fester...
- Semper in Excretum, Sole Profundum Variat -

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #736 on: June 25, 2015, 09:41:34 am »
Interesting quote from Adam Williams in that article:

"He said there are lots of challenges to get to grips with. “Insurance is a massive one, then there is the sea. We have a £250,000 a year budget just for the under deck steelworks.

“My challenge is to get it back to its former glory, to strip back where the paint is crisp rather than looking like it has 30 coats of paint on.

“I want it immaculate and it will take a lot of years.

“We will invest what we can, depending on the income, that depends on the weather and what happens with Llandudno and the surrounding area."

I'm sure we wish him all the best, he has a tough road ahead of him but it's a very worthy endeavour. $good$

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #737 on: June 25, 2015, 10:54:29 am »
There might not be much left under the 30 coats of paint!  Good luck to them though!   $good$
A pigeon is for life not just Christmas

Offline pebbles

« Reply #738 on: June 26, 2015, 02:27:26 pm »
It is a shame that the toilets have now closed inside the amusement arcade by the pier entrance.

They were very convenient for everyone.

The nearest now is either behind Barclays Bank or at the far end of the pier.

I knew the gents had shut in the goose, but have the ladies gone as well now? I'm going to have a real problem as the ones in happy valley are usually locked, even when the cafe is open (and she's meant to be the keyholder!)

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #739 on: June 26, 2015, 03:18:56 pm »
It is a shame that the toilets have now closed inside the amusement arcade by the pier entrance.

They were very convenient for everyone.

The nearest now is either behind Barclays Bank or at the far end of the pier.

I knew the gents had shut in the goose, but have the ladies gone as well now?

Yep.
Fester...

Offline born2run

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #740 on: June 26, 2015, 03:30:25 pm »
All this talk about people not spending enough money on the pier, and it turns out you can't even spend a penny  L0L

I hope they build a rollercoaster on a ruddy thing  ZXZ

Offline Ian

• Administrator
« Reply #741 on: June 26, 2015, 04:06:41 pm »
Now that's an idea.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which we least know.  ― Michel de Montaigne

Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes.

Offline SteveH

• Management Board Member & Newsgroup Editor
« Reply #742 on: June 26, 2015, 07:20:46 pm »
"He said there are lots of challenges to get to grips with. “Insurance is a massive one, then there is the sea. We have a £250,000 a year budget just for the under deck steelworks.
“We will invest what we can, depending on the income, that depends on the weather and what happens with Llandudno and the surrounding area."

With the £250.000 steelwork bill and the insurance bill, .......(it was mentioned during the Colwyn pier report that the insurance for that would be about £150.000) and I assume Llandudno's will be more expensive plus allowing for other running costs ..........................lets say roughly £500.000 PA.   
Taking the above and the recent discussion on the lower number of pier visitors, these figures are not making sense to me.  ........ &shake&

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #743 on: June 26, 2015, 11:44:02 pm »
A good point, I wonder what income the pier receives?

Offline wrex

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #744 on: June 28, 2015, 06:33:05 pm »
In the Happy Valley this afternoon there was only one family sitting on the grass,it was a nice afternoon,i was suprised yet the pier looked busy,obviuosly Fester will tell us more on that,for June it does seem quiet.

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #745 on: June 29, 2015, 12:05:33 am »
In the Happy Valley this afternoon there was only one family sitting on the grass,it was a nice afternoon,i was suprised yet the pier looked busy,obviuosly Fester will tell us more on that,for June it does seem quiet.

The Pier was 'busier' than it has been during the week (obviously), but the gaps were very large and I would estimate that it was about 30% below normal for this weather, and this time of year.
From my vantage point on a bench, I was able to collar 2 sets of thieves from outside my shop, and the lady in the shop opposite collared another one for me.   
So, at least some types of folk were busy today!

Fester...

Offline Merddin Emrys

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #746 on: June 29, 2015, 07:54:17 am »
What do you do with  the thieves? Throw them in to the sea?  :twoface:

Offline DaveR

• Administrator
« Reply #747 on: June 29, 2015, 09:05:37 am »

With the £250.000 steelwork bill and the insurance bill, .......(it was mentioned during the Colwyn pier report that the insurance for that would be about £150.000) and I assume Llandudno's will be more expensive plus allowing for other running costs ..........................lets say roughly £500.000 PA.   
Taking the above and the recent discussion on the lower number of pier visitors, these figures are not making sense to me.  ........ &shake&
In recent years, the bill for steelwork maintenance has been nearer £150,000.

As regards insurance, here's an interesting article on insuring piers (did I really just say that??  :laugh: ):
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11483301

Offline Fester

• Ad Free Member.
  • El Baldito
« Reply #748 on: June 29, 2015, 12:43:10 pm »
What do you do with  the thieves? Throw them in to the sea?  :twoface:

I tailor my response, commensurate to the person apprehended.  ;) ;)
Fester...

Offline Michael

• Ad Free Member
« Reply #749 on: June 29, 2015, 07:56:33 pm »
   Fester, don't beat about the bush. Tell us. What did you do?
   I have a historical interest in this. For a good few years I ran the store on the crossroads in Towyn when not so many had cars and Asda had;nt even been invented. And I was taking a fortune in a tiny cramped area absolutely heaven made for shoplifters. And loads of stock all over the pavement. And a very dubious collection of staff. Not much point in threatening them with the sack. They all knew they would have the sack anyway when the season ended abruptly in second week of September.
  Whateever you did, Fester, I have done it. But I am little wiser which, if any, of my actions did anybody, including me, any good.